“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #266 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here in late June, and it was a terrible experience. I booked the room with a third party for a decent rate, everything was downhill after that. I am from TX and I have heard in the past rooms in NYC are smaller than most rooms, and I was ok with this and expected it…but come on…our room was maybe 250 Sq ft and the room was only about 8ft wide at the widest point. The carpet had stains and bedding was dirty. The windows and any countertops were covered in dust. Now if you are paying upwards of $300 a night and the hotel is advertised as 4.5 stars, it better be clean. This hotel is 3 stars at best on a good day by a generous judge. Now to the staff. The staff was rude and not helpful when we checked in, almost like we were inconveniencing their leisure time since we were checking in. Someone should really tell the rude front desk staff that the customers are how they get paid. Now to the décor and the lobby. So if you like vintage cruise boat stuff, you will love this place, just not for me. When you walk in, it is beyond dark. No I’m not an old person, I am 30 and my wife is 28 and we could not see anything in the lobby. There are the dark plastic dividers for the front desk, elevator, and restrooms. I could not tell which one was which unless there was a person I could see behind a desk since it was so freaking dark in there…thus making the elevator and restrooms a craps shoot.

We only stayed 2 nights, since we had a wedding to get to in PA, so when we checked out we let the front desk staff know we were dissatisfied with our stay. The manager did come over to waive $50 off our bill. Yippee, yes that was sarcasm. I am absolutely floored we had to pay top dollar for a broom closet of a room, which I would not be surprised if it was a broom closet before our stay.

Room Tip: dont come here if you have more than 2 people staying with you
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Seth H
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that you did not like the hotel.

Unfortunately hotel rooms in New York City do tend to be smaller than in many other cities as space is always a premium.

I am sorry that you did not like our décor, while our design is considered to be iconic and is certainly unique we do appreciate that the Boutique design feel is not for everyone.

As I said before I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and also that you did not give us the opportunity to try and solve some of the things you did not like before you departed the hotel. We do always prefer to know if our guests are unhappy before the check out stage in order that we may try and turn the stay around for them and it is disappointing we were not able to do this for you.

There are newer reviews for Royalton New York Hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I began staying at the Royalton, the Morgans, and the Paramount years ago. Whenever I wanted to show my overseas guests a classic NYC hotel this was it! This hotel is first class all the way from the front desk to the rooms. Even though I as usually on a company account, I still chose the Royalton. I love this hotel as well as the sister hotels as well. Whenever I wanted to feel like a New Yorker, this is the hotel I would choose.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank robfweir
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you so much for such an amazing review. It is such a delight to hear from fans of note only Royalton but the other hotels we have in New York also. I hope that you will continue to stay with us long into the future, whenever you want to feel like a New Yorker!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The lobby entrance is very dark, the reception desk and the lifts have no signage! Apart from this, the staff were great, the check in process simple and the location is great. The Queen room was a little small but nicely decorated. Storage was good, iron and ironing board and a safe were in the room. On of the drawers had power adaptors ($28), a candle, painkillers, allergy tablets, condoms and plasters! Very handy. The shower & tub were lovely! Sufficient towels but no slippers and nice tolietries. There was no hotel info in the room apart from the restaurant menu. The wifi charge was $10 per day which is excessive. Breakfast was nice but limited choice and I haven't yet seen the hotel at night to comment on the bar atmosphere. I would recommend the hotel, but it is not as luxurious as it would like to think it is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank abscee

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. I was particularly pleased to read that you fond the staff to be great.

I hope you will return to stay with us when you are next in the City.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Been traveling to NY for business for years now and i always come back to the Royalton and always regret it when i try someplace new. 44 is a great bar and space to work and have meetings. Casual but trendy, a cool place to just hang at night. You will feel comfortable in jeans or suited up. Love the rooms, the circular tubs. Super friendly staff and i really appreciate a chatty bartender. Always excited to be in my favorite city and walk up to the big red door of the Royalton. The only thing I it had was a better gym.

Room Tip: Get a room with a soaking tub.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for your great review. I always love to hear from fans of the hotel and appreciate your continued support. I am delighted that you have found your home from home in New York and that coming to stay still gives you that sense of excitement. We very much look forward to the next time you are with us.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

A pretentious design hotel that's trying so hard to be cool I felt bad for it. Lobby is pitch black and bar scene is loud. You need a head lamp to check in and find elevators. There are actually candles and matches in the room. It's like a 'tween in Idaho binge-watched Sex and the City and then designed her perfect hotel for a first trip to NYC.

All the gloom and artifice is really too bad because the staff is amazing. Front desk, valet, housekeeping - all of them awesome and not the least bit snotty.

I asked for an end room, high floor in advance and was happy to be upgraded upon arrival (#814). Also asked for and received a coffee maker, as there is no room service on weekends (tragic). Red Flame Diner is across the street and they deliver. Decent food, decent prices.

Housekeeping was spotty - some items replaced, others not. Turn-down service one night, but not the other two. Room was clean and bed comfy (but small - not good for a couple or tall person). Loved all the pillows. Very nice shower, good counter space for NYC, but again you'll need a flashlight to see anything. I dragged a floor lamp in the hallway by the window to do makeup.

Pros
Staff is super helpful and friendly

My request for quiet, end room was honored (thank you, Leah)

Good amount of plugs for all your electronics

Location is great for access to everything - just a few blocks from Times Square but far enough not to be mobbed.

Cons
Soooooo dark. Good if you're having an affair, otherwise, not so much

You need to walk through a gantlet of poseurs to get to elevators

No room service on weekends

Very small bed - fine for solo traveler but might not suit a couple and definitely not large and/or tall people

Spotty housekeeping - but housekeeping staff is really nice

Housekeeping starts early (9am-ish and I could hear her knocking on each door announcing herself)

Loud/rattling air conditioning

Room Tip: #814 is quiet (away from elevators). No street noise, but it is very dark.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MaineIzzy

It is evident from your review that we are quite simply not your style. While we are immensely proud of a design that is considered to be Iconic and our status as one of the first ever Boutique hotels, we do appreciate that this is not to everyone’s taste.

I was pleased to see however that you found the staff super helpful and that Leah in particular did all she could to ensure that your stay was comfortable.

Morgans Hotel Group does have other hotels in the city which you may find more to your liking next time you stay in New York.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last year as part of our wedding in Central Park.

We were so glad we chose this hotel. I have such snobby standards when it comes to hotels but I couldn't fault this hotel and it's staff at all. I've visited New York 4 times and stayed in various hotels but this was by far the best. The location was great for us plus with my parents and other relatives staying at the Sofitel hotel directly opposite it was an added bonus. The Sofitel by the way was also great!!!

Like I said the staff were great. They made us feel so welcome and were so helpful. We even got treated to a bottle of gorgeous champagne with chocolates and strawberries after we returned on the evening of the wedding.

I would say that the hotel has a type of a boutique hotel style to it. It's decorated quite quirky and it may seem dark in the reception and bar areas but I felt that this made for a different type of hotel experience as it has its own style. The rooms however, are not dark. They are modern and elegant. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was so big amd spacious with a huge walk in wet room type of shower.

Overall I loved this hotel and its staff. When I can afford to return to New York for my fifth visit I will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hobster13

Thank you so much for your great review. I am delighted that you chose Royalton to be part of your special day! It is always especially wonderful to hear that our team did everything that they could to make your stay extra special.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had read in the past about this hotel and was curious. I have no major complaints, but the management of this hotel seems to be complicated. The physical plant is interesting, and rooms are very clever.

I had the same experience of several people on this site of finding charges on my my credit card bill after I was told at charge were incorrect and would be reversed. Attempting to get them reversed from Switzerland would cost more than the charges.

It is ok, but a better run 4 star hotel would probably be better for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AmeriSwiss

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some billing difficulties after your stay and would be happy to assist you personally if this has not yet been resolved. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our overall design and found it to be interesting and clever. I hope your experience with the billing will not deter you from staying with us, at that time please do not hesitate to contact me direct in order that I may personally oversee your stay