“Too bad”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #308 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The hotel is located in a great area. online it looks like a very chic boutique hotel. the hotel itself is not bad, the rooms are tiny but that is par for nyc. the problem is that it is sooooo rundown. everything is worn. even the buttons in the elevator, you really need to push them. they seem to have updated the bedding but the tvs are super worn looking, the tiles in the bathroom are stained from age, the windows are next to impossible to open (although i do love that you can open them). it is just a shame as with a small make over the hotel could really be a great one. i live in nyc but was staying here with husband on a meeting he was working at. i had some time to kill this morning as he left for work early and i could have had a lazy morning in but it is just not that type of room where you are feeling spoiled and amazing. i spoke w someone on the staff who confirmed that the hotel was purchased from another hotel 9 years ago and has not been redone since. unfortunately this is what it looks like. the bar was nice, the staff was fine, and the breakfast was fine. all was really fine. just a little disappointed as online it really does look very cool, chic and boutiquey.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nycchicky
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Nycchicky,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm glad to hear our location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed our staff and bar. I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced some dissatisfaction during your stay, and I assure you these issues have been duly noted and we will use your feedback, we consistently strive to improve our product. If you decide to give us another chance please feel free to reach out to me directly for your future booking needs.

Gissel Barriola

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is looking shabby. I have stayed here several times over the last several years. The room we stayed in initially was dirty, the bathroom door did not close, and the bathtub and shower did not work. My husband and I were given a different room and the bathroom in that room was also dirty. The location is great, and the staff were really kind, but something needs to be done about the cleaning in this hotel. I am not a neat freak, but I do not expect to see a pile of other people's hair all over the bathroom floor and tub. Gross!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Kate p,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. This is not typical of the service we provide our guest. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We found the Shoreham on Priceline for a great rate. Based on some of the reviews we were a little worried, but so pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The lobby is beautiful and while we arrived long before check-in time and our room wasn't ready the staff were happy to hold our luggage. When we arrived later that afternoon we were able to get into our room. The room was great. If you are looking for a large hotel room in NYC you aren't going to find it unless you pay for the penthouse. This room was perfect for two people. The bed was very comfortable and the room perfect. Our room had a fantastic massage chair that we fell in love with and would have gladly taken home if we could have! The location of the hotel was great and you could walk everywhere you needed to be. We would happy to stay at the Shoreham again next time we need a hotel in mid-town.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Penngirls

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your room and it’s accommodations, our massage chair is one of my favorites. Our location is definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. We look forward to welcoming you back!!We hope you will stay with us again on your next NYC.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2013

In NYC it's all about location and the Shoreham has the best. It has a got a modern and minimalist decoration which goes with the city, but all the same you can go with kids. We went with our two small daughters and they loved it and we could go walking almost everywhere something that is a must if you visit the city with kids. Our girls loved to breakfast at the hotel and the food at the bar was very good too.
Room are very comfortable although room service had its ups and downs. My one but is that they dont give you a shower cap, so take one. They do give you a hair dryer if you ask for one.
All in all, a very positive experience, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Silviaoxx
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Silviaoxx,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our breakfast, rooms, and bar throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I faced a couple minor complications BUT they hotel was very accommodating to the issues and fixed them asap. Even though everything can't be perfect while traveling the hotel is clean, good location to a train, pretty much up to date on things. I would recommend travelers to book a stay here :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear GeneraTiffany,
Thank you for generous comments on your recent stay. We’re glad we were able to fix any wrongs during your stay, and thrilled you’ll be recommending us!
We look forward to seeing you back at the Shoreham soon.
All the best,

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed at the Shoreham for 3 nights - I was delighted with the hotel. The room didn't have much of a view, but we could control the temperature in the room, the bed was clean, we received extra pillows and towels upon request, and there was enough room for myself and my husband + our luggage. The bathroom was very clean, and brand new Aveda products were left for us every morning. The elevators are small, the carpets should be replaced, the hallways could use a fresh coat of paint - but these details are minor in comparison to the fantastic hotel location. Everything is within walking distance, Times Square, 5th Avenue, MoMA, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, Broadway... the list goes on and on. The drinks in the hotel bar are worth a try. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Smurfette1980,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found our rooms were cleaned to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes are property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Best,

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Set your expectations for New York City on a budget and you can't beat this hotel.
Yes, the hallways are small, the elevator carpeting needs to be thrown away, and the front desk supervisor is not thrilled to be there. (With the exception of two absolute front desk stars - read other reviews--the atmosphere was unenthusiastic at best).
We Hotwired this hotel and got a room for $143 (taxes bring it to $197). You cannot get this quality for that price range in this area, so you forgive the quirks.
We had a great "penthouse" room with a terrace, three reclining lawn chairs, a table for 4 in the sunshine and a fantastic bathroom with a soaking tub and rain shower. Free in-room massage chair, a refrigerator with (overpriced $5.00 cokes) and a king size bed.
The mattress was brand new and the sheets were sparkling clean. Made up for the poor housekeeping overall. I rated this hotel very good because the design is stellar, the location cannot be beat, and the price is unheard of in Manhattan. It just LOOKS great. That is important to me for some odd reason.
Being charged $14.95 for in-room wireless when it's free in the lobby and the poor housekeeping will prevent me from staying here on future business trips, however. I may stay here on a quick one day trip to NYC from PA when all I need is a convenient room in a safe area.
I'd be over the top thrilled if things were cleaner. This was a mixed bag for us. I'd return if I knew the carpets were cleaner and the small details were taken care of when the room was cleaned - they were not.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Penthouse room. The "Penthouse" simply means you are on the top floor with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Avis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed our Penthouse and it’s accommodations, our massage chair is one of my favorites. I understand that there’s a fine balance between price and value, and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We know how important location can be when it comes to planning a trip, and we promise we aren’t going anywhere. Our team has been made aware of the key issues we can improve on. We wish you will reconsider staying with us in the future for all of your New York City stays. Please feel free to contact me directly; we’ll do our best to offer you the best available rate and regain your confidence in us.

Warm Regards,