“Very nice hotel”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #312 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Went to the shoreham for a birthday weekend. Stayed on the 7th floor overlooking 55th street. Rooms were clean, small in size but we expected that. Staff was vey helpful and accommodating. Location is perfect. Walking distance to many areas. Only complaint we had is that the key to our room didn't work two times and required going back to the desk. We would def stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Debbie L,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our location and our staff was helpful! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

Best,

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Tiny rooms ( and we had the "penthouse" level). Outdated. Our room assignment was messed up several times. They sent us 4 times to one room-we kept telling them our key didn't work. Instead of checking it themselves, they sent us up and down their slow elevator each time. On the fourth time, and Asian couple that had just come in on a very long flight, politely told us the room was occupied, we had awoken them trying to get our key to work. No apology from mgr. The bar was dingy and outdated, and the "free" breakfast they comped us for our trouble was continental and apparently given to about everybody-and was very poor on choices, we ate out instead. Location is awesome though. We have stayed in NYC a lot, and this was definitely about the worst. A couple of employees were outstanding though, I wish I remembered their names to mention them.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Dutchgirl6319,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced some service issues, and I assure you this is not typical of the customer service we provide. If you decide to give us another chance please feel free to reach out to me directly for your future booking needs.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our room (originally 301) was spacious and clean but the heat didn't work (in New York in the winter). The night desk person (John) and the night maintenance manager (Mo) did their best. They moved us to another nearly identical room (401). They did try to upgrade us but the only available upgrade was the Penthouse and they didn't want to update us to a $2500 room for 6 more nights. Not that I blame them. I was told that the heat in the hotel turns on at 65 degrees and turns off at 75. I'm sorry but 65 degrees is cold for a hotel.

The bed in 301 was almost as hard as a cement floor. With barely any trace of the "pillow top" mattress" they advertise. The bed in 401 was obviously old where my wife and I would sink in the middle.

The shower is amazing. Tons of pressure and 5 heads. The sink area is really too small to actually shave without difficulty.

Several reviews mentioned free internet. This is no longer the case, it is $15 per day per device. Internet is free in the "public" areas. There really isn't much of a lobby with just two benches near the door and a few tables outside the restaurant.

For my wife and I that could be as much as $60/day for her phone, her ipad, my phone and my laptop. For $200 per night average this should be included.

Their website advertises a free glass of Champaign upon check in. We were not offered that. The website also states that there are complimentary shoe shines. This is not the case. At least the lady on the desk was completely unaware of this and didn't know it was on the website.

I tried to print out the website amenities list in their "business center". However, their printer didn't work and their keyboard barely worked. Their business center consists of a single computer with a miniature keyboard with a built in mini trackball and a nonworking printer.

Multiple times we needed to ask at the front desk for towels because housekeeping would take towels and not replace them.

The ice buckets either don't have tops at all or the tops are missing the handle. This appears very shoddy, One time we asked for ice it took more than 30 minutes and I had to ask twice.

When we asked for a cappuccino in the restaurant at about 10 at night it took more than 10 minutes.

The location is about 2 1/2 blocks east of Times Square and less than a block from 5th avenue shopping.

Dear Couplefromchicago123,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I’m disappointed to hear that you experienced some service issues, and I assure you this is not typical of the customer service we provide. Our team has been made aware of the key issues we can improve on. We wish you will reconsider staying with us in the future for all of your New York City stays. Please feel free to contact me directly; we’ll do our best to offer you the best available rate and regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at The Shoreham this weekend on a trip to NYC with friends. I do frequent the city a lot and found this boutique hotel to be one of the better ones. The staff was ultra friendly and we were offered champagne upon arrival. The front desk guy Jonathan was great and very helpful! We had a suite which was a good size and a bonus a massage chair...only negative I would really say was the room smelled like smoke. Other than that the room and hotel were clean.

• Stayed: November 2013
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Rumrunner2485,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham and our Front desk team! Jonathan is one of our shining stars, we are lucky to have him. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at the Shoreham November 19 to 21, 2013. Seemed like a great rate on a 4 star. Should have known...no way is this a 4 star. My experience was very average 3 star.
Wait to check in because there was only one person working in the tiny lobby. Was not busy, there was just only one person doing everything.
Small but clean room, very drab and grey. Could not change because they were full. Bathroom was okay. Good sized shower but tiny metal (prison cell) sink. Not sure if this was a renovated room or not. They were doing some updates. Small tight hallways and elevators.
Location was good, my wifi was free. In reading the other reviews it seems there is probably a lot of variation in rooms and rates.
Not a bad hotel for the money, not great but no way a 4 star. Okay if you get a good deal and you have the right expectations.

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple of rooms if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Src321

Dear Src321,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel definitely fits the description of what a boutique hotel would be. Not exactly what I expected but it more than meet our needs. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Overall service well above average. The location in Midtown is within easy walking distance of Central Park, Rockefeller Center and Times Square. A subway stop is one block away and plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from including one in the hotel. Wifi is $15 a day :-( ...but free in the lobby.

2  Thank dhart396
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Dhart396,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. I’m glad you found our rooms were cleaned to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham. It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in November 2013. We picked it for its location and a decent price. We got a deal that included breakfast and wifi, because even though we wanted to eat breakfast away from the hotel, the breakfast plus wifi rate was about $10 cheaper than the wifi only rate.

The hotel is tucked away on a relatively quiet street (55th) and is a short walk from the midtown attractions - Central Park, Fifth Avenue shops, etc. The room was a decent size and was clean, two things that are not always the case for midtown hotels. A small living area with a sofa and tv was partitioned from the bedroom, and the bathroom was a good size, incorporating both a full size bath and shower room. Often in city hotels the bathroom is where the space is saved, but not here. The shower was excellent - superb water pressure which is often something that even the better hotels struggle with.

The hotel was relatively quiet - we were not in a street facing room, and aside from the hum of heating fans in the light well, there was no noise to keep us awake.

In terms of minor improvements, we agreed on two. The mattress was definitely showing its age and had a pronounced "dip" towards the middle. The beds are not particularly large here (even though the room could have accommodated a larger one), and the effect of the dip was that over time we found ourselves pulled to the centre of the bed!

The only other improvement was that the bath plug didn't fit snugly in the hole, so the bath drained water slowly. It also had holes and a control panel for a jacuzzi-style tub, but the buttons didn't seem to do anything - it was either broken or we were missing an 'on' switch somewhere! Fortunately the bath was so large that neither of these particularly mattered.

The staff were excellent - attentive and helpful.

Dear Cayman Badger,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.