“First time in NYC”

Ranked #310 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“First time in NYC”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I went to NYC for the first time for his 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary this past October 2013. The hotel was perfectly located, walking distance to everything we wanted. The room was smaller than what we expected but seeing that we were out of the room most of the day and only back in the evening for sleeping it wasn't bad at all. The service was excellent right from the moment we got there. The front desk staff were extremely pleasant and always willing to help or answer our questions. Hotel even surprised us with complimentary champagne and a card welcoming us to NYC and congratulating us on our 25th Anniversary.
I would definitely consider staying at the Shoreham again as it was perfectly located to all amenities and the staff made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Foula S,

We were delighted to receive and so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at Shoreham. I am particularly pleased that you have mentioned our Front of House team who demonstrated such great hospitality to you. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay! Who doesn't love a little complimentary champagne?

Regards,

David Sandler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here this past summer to attend the US Open with my daughter. I had stayed here several years ago while on a business trip to NY, largely because I couldn't find another room close to my client. I thought it was a great little hotel then-great staff, great rooms, and a euro-minimalist feel.
Time has certainly not been kind. Our room had many carpet and wall stains, a very tired bathroom, and one set of bath linens. It took an act of Congress to get another set. The lobby is tired as well. To their credit, the front desk staff was decent. Aside from the front desk, the balance of the staff is blah. Perhaps the most egregious error was when we went to retrieve our luggage, the attendant was outside chatting with someone, and the luggage room was wide open. That is inexcusable. This hotel is just tired-it needs a complete capital program and a reboot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jagman100,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Warm regards,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just returned from a short visit in NYC.... I was very disappointed with the hotel...The room did not look anything like the pictures...The heat in the bedroom was so unbearable, that I could not sleep...Someone came up to see what was wrong and I was told that it could not be turned off or controlled,,,Sorry....The coffee machine in lobby was great but the service ends at 11:00,,,WHY????? I loved the location, but unfortunately would not return...Disappointed...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Jaymarch,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your room; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. If you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to us as we would be more than happy to try and make it up to you.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

It was my first time at this hotel. I stayed for one night only in the ph10. I really love it. I asked for a special request and they addressed it at good level. The jacuzzi was just perfect. Everything was better than I expected!!! I would definitely come back and stay for more than one night. It was a good experience!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marco T
Dear Marco T,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved your first stay at The Shoreham. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our jacuzzi. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Best,

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We have stayed at many NYC hotels but this is our new favorite. Perfect location, exceptional value and well appointed rooms. AWESOME! It is on Restaurant Row in midtown Manhattan and convenient to all museums and Central Park. Free coffee every morning as well!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish F
Dear Trish F,

We were delighted to receive and so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at Shoreham. I am particularly pleased that you have mentioned our location and our rooms. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was a fantastic hotel for our first trip to NYC. We had quite the agenda to cover in our 5 days in New York and this was a great choice.There are several great restaurants within walking distance as well as most of the sites we wanted to see: 30 Rock, Central Park, Times Square, Madison Sq Garden, etc.
The room we had was a little small but for just the two of us and all the more time we spent at the hotel it worked out great. Our only complaint was that they only left 1 washcloth most days and it often took 15+minutes to get another delivered to the room. Even if a phone call was required to get another washcloth delivered, I'd still stay here for the friendly atmosphere and great location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear EbFrederick,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found our rooms were cleaned to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Regads,

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Shoreham is a $50-60 cab ride from LaGuardia. Once there, it's a short walk for shopping on Fifth Avenue or a walk in Central Park. It's a slightly longer walk to Rockefeller Center and, of course, Times Square.

It's very clean with a somewhat trendy appearance. Coffee is available every morning for free from a coffee/cappuccino/espresso machine near the lobby starting at 6 am. There's a Dunkin Doughnuts a few feet toward 6th Ave that opens at 5:30 if you need an earlier coffee fix. Laundry is promptly returned same day, properly folded.

The bathroom was dated except for a somewhat unusual full length mirror on the wall inside the bathtub/shower. The tub had no grit on its bottom, was slippery and there were no handles to use for steadying. There are only 2 "bath" towels per day that are only slightly larger than hand towels. The king size bed fills much of the room with the light switches inconveniently located on the opposite side of the bed from the tv. There is a work table with no chair, unless you want to sit on the bed and reach for it. There was an automatic massage chair in my room but other guests I spoke to didn't have this amenity. The elevators are old and bump, grind and jerk their way up and down. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant's $24 or $25 breakfast buffet.

All in all, livable (I was there 5-days), interesting, conveniently located and not too expensive according to NYC rates.

Room Tip: There are 2 penthouses on the 10th or "PH" floors.