“Nice Hotel with a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #306 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Little Egg Harbor, Nj
“Nice Hotel with a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I enjoy walking around the city so I found this hotel to have a great location for everything between Times Square and Central Park. It is on 55th between 5th and 6th so all the shopping you will ever need is at your doorstep, MoMA is practically around the corner, Radio City, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral are all just a few blocks away and it is a short walk to my favorite Italian restaurant in the city, Patsy's (which I'll review separately). The staff were very helpful, the rooms clean and modern and considering I stayed there mid-week, the price was reasonable. I marked solo for the trip, because I stayed there alone, but my cousins from Florida were in town at the same time, but stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Footy P
Dear Footy P,

Lisa Grossberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were on our honeymoon and had 7 nights in NYC. We had specified with our travel agent that we wanted a decent hotel but nothing too flash, as we were trying to save money. We were very happy with this choice! The hotel is as we expected, nice and modern, good rooms, and great location without being in the middle of a super noisy street or anything, so we slept perfectly at night. Walking distance to Times Square, Central Park and very close to the Rockefeller Centre. The staff are fabulous, really friendly - when we checked in and said we were on our honeymoon, the girl gave us 24 hrs of free WiFi (the rest of the time we used the free lobby WiFi). And on our first morning we went to the desk to get some advice about sightseeing and were helped by a lovely girl, much appreciated! Thanks for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KelsterSA
Dear KelsterSA,

Thank you for such a wonderful review – I am extremely happy to read that The Shoreham left you with a positive first impression. We strive to provide all our guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations. I am delighted that you were able to find a comfortable stay in our hotel, and to learn that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We look forward to welcoming you back and truly appreciate your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's annoying that a hotel with such beautiful location is just the typical "you are a tourist, so we treat you s***" type of hotel.

The staff are the most unfriendly - you dont expect so from Front desk staff.

The breakfast on their menu's says that it starts at 6am - you're lucky if you have it before 7am

The Internet is a mess, and very expensive, it's just crazy that people still charge 14$ a day for Wifi!

Rooms dont get cleaned until 4pm - when you come back for a nap!

Overall, it looks great, but small things makes you feel the most unwelcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maestro G
Dear Maestro G,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for making The Shoreham to be your hotel of choice on your visit to New York. I am pleased you enjoyed our prime location. I would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to having you back! I am sorry to hear that you didn’t have as positive an experience with our staff. We will definitely take your feedback and work to improve our overall guest experience.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

South Devon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend were expecting smelly damp carpets and dark rooms... that is for the price we paid after all. So when we arrived we were absolutely amazed at the high standards, lightness and overall presentation of the hotel.

Everything was absolutely perfect! From the well stocked minibar to the high pressured and consistent hot shower. We really couldn't have asked for more especially with such friendly and helpful staff, including the doormen!

The only thing that is wrong with this hotel is that despite us traveling for a month a round a lot of places (including the seedy motels)... We had no Wifi here, unlike everywhere else. $14.59 a day per device is ludicrous. Wifi is practically a human right and we really expected that to be free but nevermind!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizayne
Dear Elizayne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations . Thank you for deciding to check out the hotel for your self and not ”judging a book by it's cover “. I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We look forward to having you again, Be sure to check out our many Packages we have some that include wifi.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay in a suite with my two kids. I thought the room rates I had secured through their SUMMER promotion were great, but was really disappointed to learn about the undisclosed high internet charges ($14.95 PER device). Considering that each of my kids and I brought our own electronic gadgets, that was certainly a very unwelcome surprise. The suite was very large (which is unusual for NY), but very out-dated (carpet and wall covering were stained and falling apart). My son was sleeping on the sofa bed - the hotel staff made his bed and provided a disgusting piece of blanket (ripped and old). I remade the bed in a way to ensure my son didn't have to touch the blanket during his sleep. The bathroom was minuscule (in sharp contrast to the overall size of the suite). Finally, the room lacked storage space for storing our clothes. There was no hair blow-dryer in the room, and when I called to request one, the front desk told me they were out of it! Fortunately somehow one turned up and eventually they brought it to our room. Basically, the suite room in this hotel has only two positive attributes: the room itself is spacious and the hotel is in a great location. No, I will never stay there again... even if they decide to provide free internet!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ilanafog1
Dear tlanaf0g,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Shoreham. We are sincerely sorry to hear that the visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem. I welcome the opportunity to reach out to myself directly , and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Cairns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Travelling with our son we booked the Junior Suite for a great extended rate (8 nights) through the hotel direct. At check in, staff were very efficient & room on the 8th floor was ready early. Air-conditioning not working in the room so we reported it to Reception on our way out for the afternoon. Returned at 10pm and air still not working, contacted reception who didn't know anything about it but followed it up. Called maintenance at home & found it couldn't be fixed so we had to move rooms. A shame this wasn't passed on at change of shift but as we didn't get back until late we would have still been moving rooms at 10pm regardless. Moved down to the 3rd floor - same Junior Suite but so much bigger! King bed instead of a Queen & Bathroom much bigger and had the most amazing shower, 3 jets and after long hot days walking around NYC it was a welcome relief as was the jet tub. Location of this hotel is great - just off 5th Ave shopping, only 2 blocks from the park, plenty of both pricey and cheap food options right downstairs. Nearest subway is two blocks away but many sights were in walking distance. High charges for internet in the room, and you pay per DEVICE not per room but it is free in the lobby and they have many lounges and places to sit. The bar downstairs had great service the few times we used it for a quick drink & tapas. Staff at reception very helpful in booking car services and directions to nearest supermarkets etc. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great price on a decent sized room in NY who is travelling with a child.

Room Tip: If booking the Junior Suite - ask for the 3rd floor, same room but bigger and better bathroom with a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsLatts
Dear MrsLatts,

Thank you for taking your time and leaving us a Trip Advisor review. We’re delighted you chose to stay with us. We always want to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant stay. If you choose to visit us again, check out our special packages for great deals. We’ll also point you towards our favorite places to drink and dine throughout Manhattan. We hope to see you both again in the future!

Pittsford, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel July 13-14. My room was small but adequate.

The pros: The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the location decent.

The cons: The bathroom is tiny and there is no counter space to set down your beauty products - so I had to keep them on the desk. The first day there were no washcloths, and I had to call down for maintenance to fix the temperature controls on the air conditioning as they did not work. It took two calls and an hour for someone to appear. The next day - the outlets stopped working. I tried to call down to report this...but it's a cordless phone, so it didn't work either! I had to get in the elevator and go down to the desk. The woman replied that it was common and had to have maintenance meet me in my room to reset a switch.

The hotel does not have an ice machine, so if you want ice, you call down and someone brings you a bucket of ice. Seems like more of a nuisance to them than necessary.

I made the mistake of eating breakfast in the "restaurant" one morning. It's really their bar and all of the tables and chairs are low coffee type tables and lounge type couches...not very conducive to breakfast and the newspaper.

Would I stay here again? Probably not...there are so many places to choose from in NYC, I think I would spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dancergirlmom
Dear Dancergirlmom,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Shoreham on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. Please accept my sincere apologies for our lack of communication; we pride ourselves in giving the best customer service possible. I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.