“Great location - far from luxurious”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #311 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Great location - far from luxurious”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked with the Shoreham because of it's great price($179 a night) and it's location. Central Park ,5th Ave and Times Square were all within walking distance.
At 179 a night we weren't expecting the hotel to wow us. At that price it was a steal for NYC. The linens and carpets could use a major overhaul as they looked dingy and old. The thing that shocked us the most was the washroom. It didn't have a bath tub. There was a shower head in the washroom but there were no curtains to prevent the floors, toilet and the rest of the washroom from getting completely soaked. It reminded me of my hostel travelling days!! With my 3yr old with me, this set up wouldn't work. I complained and they switched our room promptly. The only reason this hotel is getting a 3 is because of front desk staff. I don't remember their names but they were all extremely helpful and wanted to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Don't book room 210
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gold-coins12
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Gold-coins12,

Thank you for your candid and thorough review of The Shoreham Hotel. On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for staying. I will be sure to share your positive notes with my team as they will be excited to hear that their service and amenities made your stay unforgettable. I hope that next time you choose to visit NYC again you decide to stay at the Mansfield hotel; we would be delighted to have you back!

Be well,
Lisa Grossberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at the Shoreham this past weekend. Hotel has a good location. Easy walking distance to Times Square, 5th ave shops and Central Park. The hotel itself was OK for the price in NYC for a summer weekend but don't expect a ton of luxury staying here. First of all no coffee makers in the room. They do have free coffee/latte's in the lobby.. but it was annoying to have to get dressed to go downstairs and get a coffee in the morning. The air conditioning was iffy and the unit was somewhat loud (but I can sleep with ambient noise) if you can't you may find it problematic.
Finally no free Internet in the rooms is far too old school thinking for a boutique hotel these days.

So the verdict... OK for a weekend if you are looking for something central and priced below most hotels in the area.. and you are OK with the small quirks of this place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcbrandle2
Dear Mcbrandle2,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved your first stay at The Shoreham. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our jacuzzi. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Alhambra, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of June. Loved the hotel, it's location and the very friendly staff! We are a family of 4 and our kids are 10 and 13 so we needed a room with as much room as possible. We were able to get a 2 bedroom suite for a great price! Very nice and modern and clean. Also each room had it's own air conditioner which was nice. The shower was huge and had great water pressure! Yes, there was very little counter space in the bathroom like other reviews say but that really was the only negative of the room. We were on the 3rd floor with no view which was fine for us. It made it a really quite room.

The location was perfect! We were a 10 min walk or 20 min subway ride from just about anywhere in the city. Only a few blocks from Central Park!

The staff, especially the front desk, were so friendly and helpful! We ended up not getting to the hotel until 2am our first night and they sent up some take out menus that deliver 24 hrs in case we were hungry. Also, helped us make dinner reservations at a restaurant that otherwise would have been booked! We didn't eat the breakfast there but several of the nights had some great drinks at the bar.

Loved this hotel and have already recommended it to friends! We will stay here again on our next trip!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mescobarrr
Dear Mescobarr,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our breakfast, rooms, and bar throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a last minute reservation. We Enjoyed our stay. The Room was bit small but very clean. The modern decor was chic and trendy . Great neighborhood for any traveling to the city.The young lady on the overnight on 8/2/14 was very polite and professional . Will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank simone s
Dear Simone S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our location and comfortable beds . We look forward to welcoming you back .

Little Egg Harbor, Nj
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I enjoy walking around the city so I found this hotel to have a great location for everything between Times Square and Central Park. It is on 55th between 5th and 6th so all the shopping you will ever need is at your doorstep, MoMA is practically around the corner, Radio City, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral are all just a few blocks away and it is a short walk to my favorite Italian restaurant in the city, Patsy's (which I'll review separately). The staff were very helpful, the rooms clean and modern and considering I stayed there mid-week, the price was reasonable. I marked solo for the trip, because I stayed there alone, but my cousins from Florida were in town at the same time, but stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Footy P
Dear Footy P,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were on our honeymoon and had 7 nights in NYC. We had specified with our travel agent that we wanted a decent hotel but nothing too flash, as we were trying to save money. We were very happy with this choice! The hotel is as we expected, nice and modern, good rooms, and great location without being in the middle of a super noisy street or anything, so we slept perfectly at night. Walking distance to Times Square, Central Park and very close to the Rockefeller Centre. The staff are fabulous, really friendly - when we checked in and said we were on our honeymoon, the girl gave us 24 hrs of free WiFi (the rest of the time we used the free lobby WiFi). And on our first morning we went to the desk to get some advice about sightseeing and were helped by a lovely girl, much appreciated! Thanks for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KelsterSA
Dear KelsterSA,

Thank you for such a wonderful review – I am extremely happy to read that The Shoreham left you with a positive first impression. We strive to provide all our guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations. I am delighted that you were able to find a comfortable stay in our hotel, and to learn that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We look forward to welcoming you back and truly appreciate your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's annoying that a hotel with such beautiful location is just the typical "you are a tourist, so we treat you s***" type of hotel.

The staff are the most unfriendly - you dont expect so from Front desk staff.

The breakfast on their menu's says that it starts at 6am - you're lucky if you have it before 7am

The Internet is a mess, and very expensive, it's just crazy that people still charge 14$ a day for Wifi!

Rooms dont get cleaned until 4pm - when you come back for a nap!

Overall, it looks great, but small things makes you feel the most unwelcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maestro G
Dear Maestro G,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for making The Shoreham to be your hotel of choice on your visit to New York. I am pleased you enjoyed our prime location. I would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to having you back! I am sorry to hear that you didn’t have as positive an experience with our staff. We will definitely take your feedback and work to improve our overall guest experience.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels