“amazing!”

Ranked #260 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“amazing!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I went to New York with my friend and never expected to be spoiled by the staff from this hotel. They upgraded our rooms like it wasn't enough all the attention we feeled transported to the grandiouse era of the gold celebreties who in the past and present still They enjoy staying in this beautiful hotel.
This Hotel is located close to all the amenities that offer New York to the tourists. Restaurants with all kind of menus, Theatres, shopping, ect,. We also enjoyed the Waldorf Restaurant , We had a wonderful dinner and a brunch with a group of friends, and everybody was happy with the attention,food and the reasonable price. I will go back again.

Room Tip: The rooms have big windows and I think the glass are special and block the noises,,because we had a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 May 2012

It's not a bad hotel but it's not great either. It's just the location which makes it so atractive. The hotel it's too big so everything is far away. The service is good but slow. The decoration of the rooms reminded me my grandma's apartment. I couldn't believe when I was asked to pay usd 15 daily to have wifi. The rooms are already enough expensive to have to pay it as an extra. One day the shampoo and soap in the bathrom was not renewed and I realized about it in the middle of a shower. It took about 20 minutes until the service brought them to the room. Our room was spacious but the room of my kids had no view and the window was so small....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarianobicho
Lancashire

What an amazing hotel.
As soon as you walk into the Waldorf you feel the history and perfect experience that you would expect. I have dreamt of staying at this hotel for years and my husband booked it as part of my birthday celebration surprise.
The service is second to none, from the moment you check in, to the maids, butlers and room service staff.
We stayed in room 2727 and as this is on the 27th floor I have to say that I have never experienced such a speedy lift as this. The room has a door bell, large seating area and short hall way. The bed was huge and the view made me really appreciate how tall the buildings are in New York. The bathroom was smaller compared to the large size of the room, however, with the traditional art deco fittings I felt as if I had been transported back to the 1930’s which is exactly what I wanted.
We had cocktails at Peacock Ally, this is a great place to people watch and truly appreciate the history of the hotel.
Room service was at the excellent standard that you would expect from an American hotel and seeing as though the Waldorf was the first hotel to ever offer room service, it had to be tried. My Husband had onion rings that were huge and the desserts were massive, the food arrived within 20 minutes and was of an excellent standard.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough. It lived up to everything that I have dreamt it would be and you really feel like you are staying in a part of history. I can’t wait to go back.
I could go on and on about how great this hotel is but if you are looking for luxury, class and history with a friendly service this hotel is for you.

san diego
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We were upgraded to a suite with two rooms and two bathrooms. We checked in late on a flight from Dublin and the wonderful desk clerk after asking us about our trip, said, “Let me see what kind of room I can get you.”
He got us a very beautiful upgraded suite!
We hosted several wine receptions here, which everyone enjoyed. The hotel is historic and lovely. The rooms are comfortable, quiet, clean, and spacious. The two bathrooms and two large walk-in closets were appreciated and the bed was divinely comfortable. We love historic old, luxury hotels and this one did not disappoint. Also loved the quieter, but still central location. The staff, especially room service, the front desk, and the theatre concierge, were all first rate. Highly recommend the Waldorf Astoria.

Room Tip: If you can get upgraded to a suite, you will be most content!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cyd k
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I booked this hotel before Christmas for a 5 night stay at the end of May as it was the only hotel that was a reasonable price for New York (surprisingly!) with a good location.

I had heard of the hotel so because of the rate that we had the room for I expected that despite the opulence of the foyer and suites we would have some old very small room. I couldn't have been more wrong. The room was very large, the bed extremely comfortable and the bathroom was up to date and on the whole very clean.

There was no view out of the window, but the room was very quiet.

I did not use any of the restaurants or bars as they were all very overpriced. I used the gift shop (also over priced, but that is to be expected) to buy a postcard. When I enquired about how to get a stamp they sent me to the business centre who sent it free of charge.

I found that the staff in this hotel were not too "in your face" polite but were extremely helpful and courteous.

The lobby areas are stunning. Even if you're not staying it is worth just walking through!

I would only stay in this hotel again if it offered the same value for money iagain for its location, as I expect that I somehow got a good deal, or other hotels were close to fully booked and their prices were higher.

Positives: Relaxed and polite staff, larger than expected clean and modern room, the lobby
Negatives: Expensive (but it's the price for a fairly central hotel in New York I guess)

2 Thank London2Everywhere
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights (Tuesday to Friday) and really enjoyed it. We arrived a couple of hours earlier than the start of check-in but were able to leave our luggage and my husband was sent a text message when our room was ready, which was only about 40 minutes later. We were also upgraded to a bedroom with a larger bed, which was a kind gesture. The bedroom on the 17th floor was lovely and very clean.

During our stay we spoke with a gentleman at the hotel who helps guests purchase theatre tickets. The price his the broker gave was more than we were willing to pay so he looked up the price being offered on the show's website, which was much less.

We would love to return to the Waldorf providing the price was right.

Alabaster, Alabama
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The Waldorf was ideally situated in NYC for our needs. There was a subway stop a block away that took us to any place we wanted to go. While we were there (middle of April 2012), the exterior was being renovated, but it didn’t impact our stay. When entering the Waldorf, the reception area was beautiful. I tried to imagine what it must have been like ‘back in the day’. However when we reached our Jr suite, the beauty ended. Our room looked very ‘tired’. There was nothing impressive about the furnishings. The sink was leaking and the toilet didn’t flush properly. There was also paint peeling in the bathroom. The room was also very warm despite having the AC turned down as low as it would go. We had to leave our window open during the day so it would be cool enough to sleep at night when we returned. As a diamond member in Hilton’s loyalty program, we only received certificates for pasties and a beverage at the Starbucks located in the hotel. We were not allowed to use the club lounge which so many other of Hilton’s fine hotels allow diamond guests. I would recommend staying here if you’re able to get a decent price though – just don’t expect anything out of the ordinary here.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room to avoid some of the street traffic
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple