“Service with a smile”

Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have read a few recent reviews and have to agree that the outside scaffolding does take something away from this Grand Hotel. However I have stayed here previously and the scaffolding will not always be there. All my previous visits to the Waldorf have been because I could get a great deal and this time was no exception. This time I had a 2 double double rooms for a cheaper price than a Holiday Inn Express. i use the Waldorf because it is in a great position for the tourist. The rooms are not modern or spacious but they are clean and very comfortable. Free wi fi is available in the Lobby but only available free in the rooms if you were a higher level Hilton Honours guest than I was. I do feel that in todays modern techno age it should be free to everyone but I have stayed in many luxury hotels throughout the world and a lot do charge ridiculous prices for internet connections. However some top hotels are completely free, especially if you hold their Loyalty Cards. The service in the hotel is without question First Class. The price of everything is high but why not treat yourself if you come here. It is an experience you will talk about for a long time. I arrived in a stretch Limo (not too expensive if there are a few of you and you do your research) and was surprised not to have my cases whisked away immediately. On previous occasions my case was taken from me and delivered shortly afterwards to my room. This time we had to pull our wheeled cases through to the lobby. I did not eat or drink in the Hotel but have done so previously and been impressed with the service. This time I found some very nice Breakfast Diners within a 200 yards of the exit. Another good touristy thing is that the hop on hop off bus stops right outside the Hotel and I never had to wait more than twenty minutes. if you are reasonably able you can walk to Times Square, The Rock, Central Park and The Empire State Building without difficulty as Manhattan is very flat. To sum up this is an Iconic Hotel that I would encourage those that can afford it to stay in. The rooms are adequate and the service is tremendous. look for bargains.

Room Tip: Try to join the loyalty programme and get an upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The Waldorf Astoria has such history, one can't help but be in awe just standing in the Park Avenue lobby...and make sure to check out the restroom off the lobby!
The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. In my opinion, if you can afford to pay a little more than for the other midtown hotels, it is well worth it!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank sfltraveler
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Been before so knew what to expect. We were informed by Virgin that the Park Ave entrance was being refurbished which was fair enough, we knew Starbucks was closed also. What they failed to tell us was that half the hotel was closed off too, including Sir Harry's bar & the piano bar.
So poor communication on their part.
We weren't too bothered as there was still two other bars plus a huge array of choice outside of the hotel.
One thing to note also is that the toilets are being refurbished too so you have to get the lift to the third floor for a pee, not ideal.
We did get a room upgrade with a balcony & a huge closet which was great, there were a few frayed edges regarding decor but all in all very happy with the room.
As is tradition we had a meal in the Bull & Bear which was fantastic.
All things considered a great experience, just not too impressed with Virgin not giving us the heads up regarding the works.

Room Tip: Be polite, ask for an upgrade
1 Thank bhudi
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My son and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria from the 30 August until 4 September 2012 and we could not have asked for a better hotel to stay. And the weather was brilliant too.....Everything was perfect. We had a problem with a leak and damaged cameras...but the staff promptly moved our room and paid for all the damages.
My sister had stayed here for her 30th and I thought I'd do the same for my 50th. From the time we arrived we were treated like important guests.
The breakfast is pricey in the actually hotel, so we found one just across the road, an all day breakfast place....the people in there were so nice and so was the food,
In fact the whole experience of being in New York will never be forgotten, it has left us with nothing but brilliant memories.
Thank you to all the staff for making that happen :)

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2012

If you like old style hotels, this is what is supposed to look like. But for that price, you would assume that the furnitures in the room not be scratchy and damaged, that the bath would have been modernised since the 70, that they would not charge you $20 a day for internet connection (not a wifi), etc..They seem to pass serious time going from room to room to maintain but really it is a major revamping that is needed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank PourJF
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We were looking forward to be part of history at the Waldorf!!! Not really, We got there around 02:00PM after a long journey and not enough sleep, the building is under renovation from the outside all around (WILL BE COMPLETED IN 8 YEARS). Main entrance on Park Ave was closed, Car had to go through 50th street to a side street entrance, waiting in line of cards (single lane), dropped off the luggage on the side, luggage were tagged then we walked up few steps to take an elevator up one floor then walked to the lobby. Had to wait in line in a crowded lobby for 15 minutes, room was not ready, asked to come back in an hour or so.. came back 90 minutes later, still not ready, they gave us a couple of tickets for drinks at the lounge..had the drinks and waited for about 45 minutes. Went to the front desk and asked for the manager who checked what was going on with our suite..few minutes later were told to go to our room and gave us the keys..It was almost 05:00 PM..It was a very nice spacious suite at the 17th floor on Park Ave..which was great..The windows were fuzzy and obstructed with construction materials.
The furniture is very old and outdated, the rugs and pictures on the wall were not well maintained and poorly designed, lamps did not have working light pulps, curtains and shades were outdated, bathroom is huge but missing some towels and amenities. Elevators use room cards to access your floor and it was a challenge to make the card works and responds to make it work. The hotel shop did not have a good service, the young lady in the shop had an attitude and was not very cooperative to help the customers, I wanted to buy one of their jackets with the hotel emblem but did not have my size. I was told they have it in the stock room but could not get it right away and they would contact me at my room when they bring it.. No one contacted me for 24 hrs..when I went to check if they got it, I found another employee who did not know anything about what I was talking about!!! I got mad and walked away.
Our flight out of New York was late in the afternoon, I asked for a late checkout and I was told not possible (Although I am a Hilton Honor Gold Member). After an argument, I was given until 01:45 PM to check out...By the way, the business center has nothing for free, I had to pay for Internet, printer, and fax via my credit card...
We stayed there for 4 nights but I do not think I enjoyed my stay and I would not go back to this hotel (at least for the next 8 years)????????

Room Tip: High floor on Park Ave.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SetiTheFirst
São Paulo,Brazil
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have just gotten back from NYC, watching the US Open. During my stay the lobby entrance which connects it to the main lobby/reception was being restored. Not a problem, and after all, is was worth seeing it brand new!
I had an upgrade to a jr. suite and it was amazing. Lots of space for luggage, desk, drawers everywhere, eletronic safe, tv in both room and living room. Bathroom was OK, but I found it a little too small for a 5* standard.
Everyone at the front desk was always thoughtful and helpful towards all my needs. So was the bell service. Housekeeping did its job well everyday.
Good thing about the hotel is its location. It sits on an entire block between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue, and 49th and 50th. (49th is the only street with no access to the hotel).
You can just walk to 5th Avenue or even to Times Square.
I wont't give this hotel a 5* rating because everything is way too expensive (USD 16 for a bottle of water, for example).
if you are looking for a traditional hotel with good service, great location and lots of glamour, this hotel will easily fit your needs. It has so much history that you can even have a tour of the hotel with breakfast included (cost of USD 50 per person, of course).

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to a jr suite, as some rooms can be too small (specially the corner ones).
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business