“Wonderful weekend”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #261 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Waldorf this past weekend for her 50th birthday. We were upgraded to a suite in the Waldorf Towers by a lovely lady at reception when my sister had trouble checking in before I arrived. They were very kind and even escorted her to our room. The Towers included a lovely continental breakfast, which was a nice surprise. And they even gave her coupons for drinks in any of the Waldorf restaurants bars. Everyone we met was kind and helpful. I used the workout room in the Waldorf Towers which was very nice with good equipment. Again, the workout room in the Towers was without charge. This was a very special weekend for my sister and I and we were very grateful to the Waldorf for their kindness.

In addition, we ate dinner at the Bull and the Bear on Saturday night before the theatre. We had the pre-theatre dinner, which I consider to be a huge bargain. It was $65 each for an appetizer, main course (beautiful fillet) and dessert (huge piece of cake). I would recommend it. I have to say, though, that it's only available between 5pm and 6pm and when we arrived at 5:30pm, the waitress did not bring us the pre-theatre menu or even tell us about it. You clearly have to be aware of it and ask for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Megan_Hennessey, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Good Afternoon wsb201,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us! We are so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the Waldorf Astoria New York. Your detailed comments will prove to be quite helpful to both our staff and our future guests! We certainly hope to see you again next time you are in New York City!

Megan Hennessey

Write a ReviewReviews (11,544)

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed at the Waldorf for a week while at a conference. I considered staying somewhere else as the price was a little higher than what I wanted but went for the convenience of being in the same hotel and thought it would be a treat.

As it turned out this was probably a mistake. It wasn't horrible at all, however when paying these prices I expect a certain standard and unfortunately an old hotel like this is going to struggle to meet this.

I don't want to gripe however to give you a sense if you are researching for a special night away:
- the shower had to run for over 15 minutes to get warm
- the TV frequently was not working, it seems the cable service has some challenges. This wouldn't be a problem if you were heading out and about most of the time, but if you are coming to have a special night in and maybe catch a movie it isn't reliable. If you use the TV as a background noise while doing work in the office it is certainly a problem.
- And to the room service. Luckily I tried this on the first night so didn't repeat my mistake. I wanted something easy so ordered a burger and a water and it cost over $65. It was a very average burger at that.
- It is also located in a part of New York that is the business district and your eating options are fairly limited. Therefore as a base for a NEw York adventure it isn't great.

I agree with all the posts that say it is a beautiful old building and would therefore encourage you to go for a drink and take a look around however if this is a special weekend away, I would look elsewhere as you aren't getting value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Good Afternoon PeitaD,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are very discouraged to see that you were dissatisfied with the Waldorf Astoria. We strive to provide each guest with an unforgettable experience, and we see that we were unable to provide this for you. Your detailed comments are extremely helpful to us. As we learn things like you mentioned (the water temperature, the cable, etc.), we can work to improve the hotel and the overall guest experience. Should you have a moment, please email me with your confirmation number from your stay as well as your Tripadvisor username.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

It's all in a name. Hilton should invest some money and do the place a favor. The room was old and in need of repair. The bed was comfortable and the TV worked. The reception looks amazing but that is where it ends. Over priced I a sorry to say. I imagined this hotel to be on par with The Savoy in London, how wrong I was. Sorry Hilton family I will stay elsewhere in NY next time.

Room Tip: Anywhere away from the street noice
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Good Afternoon guy g,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the state of the hotel. Please rest assured that the hotel is under a constant renovation, and piece by piece the hotel is becoming more beautiful. We are happy to see that you felt the service at the Waldorf Astoria was worth 5 stars, as we do strive to provide every guest with an unforgettable experience. We do hope that you will stay with us again in the future. As I mentioned, the hotel is growing more beautiful each day.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Had a 3 night stay here with my wife in April. The hotel seemed to be very upmarket based on the reception area, bellboys, restaurants, and shops. However, the bedrooms were a bit tatty in places. That said they were large, quiet and the beds were comfortable - although a bit bouncy. The bath was deep and there was no shortage of fast running scalding hot water. The location was very good. Could walk to the grand central in 10 mins, times square in 20 mins and the empire state in about 20 mins.

Overall it was a very nice experience. If the bedrooms had matched the quality of the main communal areas I'd have marked it higher.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon ekcihey,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location to be convenient! We have noted your concerns regarding guestrooms. The Waldorf Astoria is under a constant restoration, and comments such as yours will assist us in making the best changes to suit our guests. We hope to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future!

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Booked the Waldorf for my Birthday as a treat, but have to say I was a little bit disappointed with this iconic hotel.
The TV remote control didn't work and although I mentioned this 3 times, it still didn't get fixed, I gave up complaining.
Unhelpful concierge desk too. I asked about local cinema's and was told there were 3. That was it, no offer to write down the name or location or point them out on a map. That said, the lady who booked tickets was really helpful.
Wi-fi was free in the lobby area of the hotel so there were a lot of guests using the free wi-fi in the lobby areas but there were not enough seats in the lobby, so there were lots of people sitting on the floor.
The hotel room itself was huge with a huge bathroom and a lovely decor. The bed was extremely comfortable.
Had a great time in NY for the Easter weekend but a bit disappointed by this hotel, maybe my expectations were too high.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon jenfernandesuk,

Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly sorry that you felt disappointed with your stay at the Waldorf Astoria. Your concerns regarding lack of seating in the lobby and the service you received have been noted by the necessary departments. We strive to provide every guest with an unforgettable experience, and are very sorry that we were unable to provide this for you. We hope to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future so that we may show you the Waldorf experience you deserve.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We booked a disabled (ADA) room for 3 nights from 25 March 2013. The room allocation & housekeeping was very slow; not available until about 5 p.m. The room itself was exceedingly noisy as some large temporary plant was outside the room, level with the bed. We complained and asked to be moved after the first night but no suitable room as available. However, we were offered complimentary breakfast and dinner.....and ear plugs! One of the managers spoken to admitted the room was not fit for letting. Eventually we were moved for the last night.
On complaining to Hilton Customer Service after some three weeks they maintained that the Hotel has been in contact with us and that the issue has been resolved - this is not the case.
All-in-all a very poor accommodation and service at somewhat 'tired' hotel with apparently chaotic and limited management.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark W

Good Afternoon Mark M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Waldorf Astoria. We are terribly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations, and that you did not receive follow-up. We do strive to provide each guest with 5 star service. We would love the opportunity to look into this further and determine any issues with the Hilton Customer Service line. Should you have a moment, please email me with your confirmation number from your stay as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

The Waldorf Astoria New York took great lengths to make my stay special. I made a reservation at the Waldorf for my 21st birthday party and due to the hotel's tremendous hospitality and dedication, I was upgraded from a one bedroom suite to a two bedroom complex in the Waldorf Towers. They were extremely attentive to my needs, and to the fact that I was celebrating my birthday that weekend - I received the hotel's signature red velvet cupcakes at my doorstep along with a letter from the staff, all this on top of the gorgeous porcelain decked room they moved me to. Special thanks to Victoria Kennedy, a social media intern at the Waldorf, who truly outdid herself in arranging my accommodations. Request for her if you are looking to make your stay more memorable - she will do wonders in working it out. Though this hotel has a reputation to uphold, I'm glad to say there was no pretense in their service, and look forward to staying with the Waldorf again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle B

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your 21st birthday with us! It was our pleasure to help you celebrate. Victoria is a gem, and we are very glad to hear that she was able to assist you. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Thank you and Happy Birthday!