“Do not stay during fall/spring as HVAC systems are not modernized.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria New York

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Georgia, United States
“Do not stay during fall/spring as HVAC systems are not modernized.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Waldorf needs to update its HVAC so that guests can enjoy cool air during the fall and warm air during spring. When I visited the hotel, it was in the 50s outside and they had switched off the cooling system in favor of heat. It was 81*F in my room!! The only solution offered was to open a window and bring a fan. Purely not acceptable in a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Buddy M,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so disappointed to learn that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Waldorf Astoria. We want each and every guest to feel at home when at the Waldorf Astoria, and we are terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. I understand that it can be difficult to be comfortable when the temperature is not right. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,971)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Gorgeous old landmark. I had been warned to ask for a good room as we were only staying one night, so I did. We were not disappointed. Early check in permitted as we were going to a luncheon. Would definitely stay again.
Disappointed I could not get a seat in the bar for a cocktail at 9 pm even though I was a guest.
Free WiFi was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shell70s
Dear shell70s,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Waldorf Astoria! We will be certain to have a seat available for you next time you are at Peacock Alley. We hope to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria again soon!

Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Waldorf Astoria in New York, New York is the best property I have ever stayed at. When you walk into the hotel your breath gets taken away. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful! Our group was fortunate enough to get a group tour of the hotel, lead by David O' Keeffe. He lead the best tour that I have ever had the opportunity to be on. He was extremely knowledgeable on all aspects of the hotel, even parts that were not in his department. He is a great asset to the Waldorf Astoria and the Hilton brand as a whole. Customer service is what Hilton stands for, and it is what the Waldorf Astoria staff delivers. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Mary Moore

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mary M
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Mary_Michelle_Moore,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Waldorf Astoria! I am so glad to hear that you found David and our entire team to be helpful and attentive. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future!

Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Excellent location, small rooms, safe, quite, not 5* but comfy. You can walk easily to times square, 5th Ave, central park, central station. only negative was they are standard double beds. Make sure you ask for King size beds.

Room Tip: King size bed
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear A O,

Thank you for your comments! I am thrilled that you had a pleasurable experience at the Waldorf Astoria, and that you found our location to be convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed for six days in September during the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). First, this is not my first stay at this property. When I went to check in I could not find a bag man, porter etc. to help me take my bags up the stairs. Had to lug them myself. The room was worn, shades were broken and worked sporadically. Housekeeping was stingy with the toiletries.

Second, if you are not royalty, an A lister, politician (and no not your average councilman/mayor I mean prime minister, etc), or POTUS, then you are a non-entity at this hotel. You will not be catered or attended too. In fact your presence is more of a nuisance. The buffet is non existent. I would not recommend this hotel during UNGA (or NYC). The security is too intense if you are not used to it. I think the hotel should advertise that certain high level entourages will be there, therefore discouraging its guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear MiamiMommytraveller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay during UNGA. We are so sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Please know that each and every guest at the Waldorf Astoria is of utmost importance to our staff, and we are terribly disappointed that we did not portray this during your stay. I would really like to research your stay further in order to make positive changes moving forward. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

diarmuid.dwyer@waldorfastoria.com
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We are actually NYC natives. So, we were not put off by rooms that are smaller than other locations nor prices that are higher.
We think the hotel is magnificent looking.
We appreciate “vintage” and “classic” items and styles.
So, as long as things are in good repair, then we actually enjoy that they are old.

I was going to give 3 stars (average) as a compromise between the lovely appearance at one end and the poor service at the other end.
But there were so many problems with the service in such a short time that I am obligated to give a poor rating.

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a night in the city.
Went to a Broadway show, did some fine dining, took in a comedy club and stayed at a hotel.

When checking in, the clerk told us that in the mini bar we’d find 2 bottles of water with Waldorf label and that these were complementary. Woohoo! Not 1, but 2-12 ounce bottles of water came with our $800 room!

The first thing we noticed when entering our room was that it was quite warm and stuffy.
The heating / cooling vent didn’t seem to do anything.
So, we called for assistance (in case we weren’t using it properly).
We were told that only heat was available at this time (despite it being a very sunny 64 degrees).
We asked if we could have a fan and were told one would be sent over.
Arrived in about 15 mins. Not too bad.
But when the attendant went to plug it in, she said there were no outlets into which it would fit.
I asked about the outlet next to the lamp and she said it was a different style.
Huh? What other kind of outlet do they have and why?
She said she’d contact the engineering dept for an extension cord.
Seriously? Fans and extension cords are in different departments?
After about a half hour, we just unplugged the lamp and put the fan in that outlet.
Good thing since the extension cord never came!

2nd thing we noticed was that we had a view of a rooftop and some other outcropings of the building. Basically like a back ally.

But again, we’ll let it go as we weren’t going to spend that much time there.
And, in fact, when we left a few minutes later, it was about 11 hours until we returned.

When we did get in, around 1:30AM, our bill was already under the door.
There was a charge for nearly $18 that said “mini bar”.
We have never used products from a mini bar in our lives.
And it is likely that we never will.
I was more than happy to make a nice donation to Broadway Cares for which the performers of the show were kind enough to take the time to collect.
But as far as refreshments, I’m not someone who will pay a hotel $8 for a can of beer when I can get a 6-pack plus a snack for the same amount at a local convenience store.
(I like to say “we give to the needy, not the greedy”.)
So, we were not pleased to be greeted by a bill with such an error.
Fortunately, it was resolved with a short phone call.
But it shouldn’t have happened.

As we were unwinding, we turned on the TV and came across a channel that runs a documentary about the Waldorf. I was genuinely fascinating – hearing about the building of it, it’s 1st location, some of the stats of people, kitchens, guests, staff members who became famous, etc.

The part that wasn’t entertaining was how they were telling the lengths they have always gone to for the comfort of their guests. ANYTHING that they can do.
They said that there was a sign in the kitchen reading “The difficult, immediately. The impossible will take a few minutes longer.”

I’d settle for “the average”. When can I get that???

We probably got to sleep around 4AM.
And that’s fine. We had exactly the kind of night we wanted – no long trip home, no having to cut things short to get home before getting too tired, etc.

We were looking forward to sleeping late (kina necessary when going to bed at 4), but were jolted awake by some ringing the bell and trying to come into the room at 9:15!
This idiot was letting himself in while ringing the bell rather than ringing and waiting for a response. So, what was the early-morning urgency?
He came to replace the 2 complimentary bottles of water we’d used.
Mind you, it’s 2 total. Not 2 per day. So, these weren’t even for us!

Of course we didn’t get back to sleep after that as the sun was shining, we’d be startled, etc.
The one thing you expect from a hotel (all other things aside) is a good night’s sleep!
Didn’t happen.

So, we got up and got dressed to go in search of breakfast.
No coffee maker in the room. If they can’t charge extra for something, then it’s not there.
1-hour documentary on how comfort and amenities are such a priority for them....
But I’m sure the problems are all due to the Hilton influence.
Hilton doesn’t care how much you are paying for your room. Everything is extra.

We got to the elevator and 4 people were already waiting for it.
1 person said “it’s 5 minutes already” and he and his companion took the stairs.
We were not anxious to take the stairs from the 9th floor as I have a knee injury and currently have to use a walking stick.
But after a while, we chose that option as we felt it would be easier than finding the other bank of elevators in the other wing.
When we got downstairs, we spoke to someone at an individual desk (assume it was the Concierge . He said he’d report it right away.

We went out, got breakfast and came back.
An hour later, we were headed out again.
Again, elevators passing by and not stopping on our floor.
We walked down again and went back to the fellow we’d spoken to earlier.
He was explaining to several other people that “the matter has been brought to their attention. As a matter of fact, here comes the gentleman who first reported it”.
I asked if it was being worked on. He said “hopefully”.
Again I say “seriously??”! He hopes??
Indeed, they care deeply about serving their patrons on every level...NOT!

And let’s talk (again) about amenities.

As I mentioned, we do genuinely think the hotel is fabulous looking.
Very elegant and tasteful.
Part of that is elegant-looking patrons. Whether coming from outside, coming into the lobby after a nice meal at the Bull & Bear restaurant, etc.

But this is all spoiled by crying babies stuck in the lobby as young parents hang out there in order to get Internet access.
This is one of the really onerous aspect that Hilton brings to the Waldorf (as well as all their other hotels). Whether it’s a $200 room in another city or an $800 room at the Waldorf, in-room Wi-Fi is not included. For this stay, I didn’t care about Internet access, myself.
It was the weekend. We were out for pleasure rather than business.
But if we’d needed access and had to pay extra, we would not be happy.
How much is enough?

Hilton typically charges $14 per nigh (per device!!) plus tax for in-room WiFi.
So, of course younger people often prefer to go down to the lobby.
So, even if some of us are willing to pay the price in order to not have to go to the lobby, we still have to be greeted by a lobby that looks like a buss station due to all the people crowding it for WiFi access.

What a shame that a famous, iconic hotel like the Waldorf Astoria has lost it’s class because of Hilton greed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Excalibur_NYC
Dear Excalibur_NYC,

Thank you for reaching out to share this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we apologize for the mismanagement of these situations, and for the frustration you must be facing. There is no excuse for the lack of quality service you received from each of the team members you mentioned in your review. Like we mentioned in our documentary, we truly are dedicated to providing the world-class service and hospitality you expect and regret your stay was disturbed. We will utilize your feedback as part of our ongoing service evolution. We would really like to research your stay further to determine who you worked with in different cases and why certain things happened. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

diarmuid.dwyer@waldorfastoria.com
Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had to check off staying at the Walforf Astoria New York off my bucket list, and am happy the opportunity occured. How does one comment regarding staying in such a landmark? A most enjoyable two night visit and definitely would do it again! A class act.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear LegacyHotels,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We are thrilled that you have had the opportunity to cross the Waldorf Astoria off your bucket list! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria again soon.