“GRAND HOTEL”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a Beautiful, well located hotel. Stayed the weekend of 13-15 December so it was crazy crowded. The Lobby is beautiful and decorated so nice for Christmas but with the fully booked rooms (1432 of them) and big events in the Ballroom, the lobby was choatic all the time. You definately dont feel luxury when being jostled and waiting with large crowds for every elevator. Therefore, service is non existent really, you were just one of the crowd. As a Diamond member we have a separate quiet oasis to check in which was very nice, that is a special touch. I used points to book the room last minute so wasnt expecting much of an upgrade if any considering the hotel was almost or fully booked. The Diamond desk person did find the best updated superior (aka standard) room she could find and it did have a peek of Park avenue and did not have any issues that other reivewers complained of (peeling wallpaper, mold etc), very elegant but very very small. It definately would not have been worth the room rate of 600+ a night. Definately pay the difference and upgrade to a higher category room to really experience the Waldorf. That being said the clientele in the lobby was very elegant (black ties and gowns for Christmas ball events) and the public areas are beautiful if overcrowded.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CraigS090
There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria New York

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at Waldorf Astoria last week of March and enjoyed it immensly, even though the wheather was blistering. Waldorf Astoria is absolutely a top hotel with excellent food and incredible service. Waldorf Astoria is on walking distance to many of the interesting spots of NY.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here with high expectations, especially for the price, but was extremely disappointed. Rude service staff and ridiculously small, tasteless and impersonal hotel rooms. The location is also not the greatest as a tourist, perhaps if you were only on a business trip it would be convenient.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Isabelle_Simitcioglu
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Isabelle_Simitcioglu,

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry that we let you down during your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria. This is extremely valuable feedback. I would like to learn more about your guestroom and your experience with us. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The Waldorf Astoria, NYC has been our hotel of choice for several years over the Thanksgiving weekend. As Hilton gold card members, a standard room was reserved in Sept. and our upgrade choice indicated. On requesting an early check-in, we were asked if a handicapped room with king bed would be o.k. and given the keys to room 856--big mistake. The very small, outdated room and bathroom needs a complete overhaul, overlooks the HVAC equipment, queen bed, no easy chair/reading lamp, hard desk chair, old miniscule bathroom sink with no place to put a glass, a bar of soap or even a razor while shaving, slow draining tub/shower, no floor rug, poor lighting, no make-up light or counter/stool to sit while drying hair. When informed of our displeasure, management did reduce our rate by $100 per night--still a miserable room at any price.

Room Tip: If you can afford, stay in the Tower.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ellen K,

Thank you very much for your feedback, and thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand. I am so sorry that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Waldorf Astoria, and that your guestroom was not up to par. We are so grateful that you have informed us of these issues, as we feel we can make positive changes to fix these issues. I'd like to look into these issues further. If you have a moment, kindly email me with the cnofirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

It would seem every experience and review of this hotel differs wildly, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM. This hotel is inconsistent beyond reason. You do the ordinary below average and the extraordinary like no other. I had an inconsistent stay this weekend, allow me to share:

The Excellent:
-The social media manager left a gift for my young daughter b/c I let her know in advance it was going to be my girl's first big weekend in the Big Apple for the holidays. How awesome and sweet! I was touched.
-My lowly Hilton Gold nabbed us free wi-fi, some drink coupons (we couldn't use, but thanks) and 2 free waters per night. Good enough. No room upgrades were to be had, even paid upgrades... it was packed, so be it and fair enough.

The Good:
-This is a historic, beautiful hotel and is in a super location for walking midtown. I love Art Deco, I love this hotel.

The Unforgivable:
-The room was despicable: Mold above the shower. Smell of mold in the room. Mold on the caulk around the sink and fixtures. INEXCUSABLE. Buy some bleach and caulk and fix it already. Do you know how many times I've come across this same complaint on reviews of the hotel??? COME ON MAN! SPEND THE MONEY AND FIX IT!
-Room faced the plant works of the hotel... somebody had to get the bad viewI guess. Just sour grapes on my part there, they're not all Park Ave views. But when the counter help smiled and said I'd really like the room, well the comment sort of turned into an insult... I didn't.
-Further more, wasn't stocked with more TP than the room came with, two light bulbs out, waste basket not emptied...
-Room service: The food was horrible. Ordered two medium burgers, got to well done burgers, hockey puck well done. It was 10pm and we were starving, who was going to complain?

I HEART NY. I HEART this hotel. BUYER beware with the rooms here though. INSIST you can inspect the room before taking the key card, INSIST!

I love the hotel as concept and history. It is a beaut! My room on this occasion however, fail. Seriously, all the $$$$ this place makes and they can't recaulk a room or remove surface mold???

And again, BIG LOVE to the their social manager... warmest regards for her good job! I wish that gesture fixed the rest of the issues. I love the legacy of this hotel, I know this hotel well and I expected much more from the accomodations.

Room Tip: Stay in the towers or at least NOT in any room described as "deluxe" or "standard&quo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mheffner

Dear mheffner,

Thank you so very much for your detailed feedback. I am so disappointed to learn about your recent experience at the Waldorf Astoria. We strive to provide each and every guest with an unforgettable experience, and we are terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. There is no excuse for the way you found your guestroom. I would really like to learn more about your experience and determine why certain things happened. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I did write this letter to the General manager peter long:
Iam very sorry to bother you with this mail but unfortunately after a extended time in hospitals ending up in a lifetreathening situation after I left new York, I finally feel like iam able to write you about our disaster stay in your waldorf.

We arrived Oct 2th from Amsterdam, was very tired,  asked for an early check in. We arrived around 10am..had to wait like forever untill we found someone available to check us in. Room was not ready, no problem instead we strolled around times square etc. But since iam paralyzed and in a wheelchair I was so exhausted that around 1pm, we went back...still the room was not available. At 3pm still nothing..at 4 the same story. I was in agony and so much pain. Finally we where offered another room for the time being. I was not even able to enter this small room..so Jeffrey lifted me out of my wheelchair and carried me to the bed. Between 7pm and 730pm our room was finally ready. So our whole day was spoiled. I was to tired so we only had dinner and we didn't use our very expensive musical tickets (starting at 8 o'clock!).

The room we stayed in was not very impressing viewwise..terrible so dark and the rest you know yourself. But this is not so important to me..I just want to mention this. When you are visiting new York as an tourist (leisure)so not for business, you would like to enjoy the view. Like we did in Hilton garden in, 35th street. This hotel was paradise compared to the waldorf. The Waldorf new York was like a dream to me..I always wanted to stay here. Unfortunately my aunt didn't had a very good experience as well this year. She was in your hotel to celebrate their wedding.

But since iam a diamond member and always loved new York I assumed this stay would be different to us. I stayed in 4 Hilton hotels before in new York and enjoyed every minute!

What was most definitely the killing factor of our stay in new York was: your concierges information about the government closedown was inaccurate! We wanted to visit the empire state building ( all pre paid), statue of liberty, the space shuttle and the 911 site. Unfortunately this concierge was very rude and not willing to look me in the eyes..he was telling us that all our tickets were worthless because of the closedown. We asked him this 4 times because I was almost starting to breakdown. This short stay in new York was all for nothing if he was right. So again we strolled around and had some lunch etc..boring. we finally decided around 3pm to take a taxi and at least have a view of the statue of liberty....the statue was closed indeed but we were very outraged when we found at 4:30 pm!! That the rest was all open! So the 911 site and museum etc was open! I went straight to the concierge of the Hilton millennium and she gave us the correct information. Unfortunately this was all to late! At 530pm we took another taxi back to the hotel, complaint about this whole situation..were given vouchers for drinks and breakfast (not very  appropriate, our whole trip had ruined and all our expensive tickets as well, all the way from Amsterdam guys!)..we took a bottle of wine (from the vouchers)picked up some dinner and went to the room. This was such an unbelievable unsatisfied stay. The next morning Oct 4th we left to Virginia. On this flight I developed a dvt in my leg and a week later I was admitted in a hospital in a lifetreathening condition with several pulmonary lungembolisms. The only good time we could had have was in new York and this had totally been spoiled by the wrong decision to stay in the famous waldorf new york horrible stay!

I also complained about the ignorant behaviour of the waiters in the lobby bar. If you are casual dressed than they just don't pay attention to you.

In the meantime I had an automatic reply that eric long the gm would be back in office from Dec 3th...Dec 4th I had an answer from his assistant Mrs Delaney: both eric en tom long were out of office..unbelievable. today is Dec 16 but still no answer at all! Nothing!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank wowwie

Dear wowwie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I hope that you are recovering well. I am so sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us, and that our team did not sufficiently follow-up with you. I would really like to learn more about your experience and try to make things right. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I had a good experience in Waldorf Astoria Hotel two years ago, that naturally it became my first choice to stay in New York this year. But it is not as my previous experience, at the first three night, the air-conditioner is not working that I have to put on my sweater before I jump into the bed. At the third day only a short notice claim that it is going to be a thorough checking of the air-conditioner. Without any alternative option, I have to stay in the same room for the further four nights. The quality of service is beyond my imagination. I decided not to reside in this hotel any more.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Maojen S,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. I am so disappointed to learn about your experience and the malfunctions with your air conditioner. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I certainly hope that we have to pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria so that we can show you the true Waldorf experience you expect and deserve.

Geoffrey.Cousineau@WaldorfAstoria.com