“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #260 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Freehold, New Jersey
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The standard rooms at the Waldorf are very small (remember, old hotel) and simple, but clean and comfortable. If you want more upscale, stay at the Waldorf Towers. My biggest gripe was that, as my husband and I were arriving separately, I arrived first, and they would not allow me to check in because my husband made the actual reservation and only he could check in. Apparently, my ID was not enough to prove I was the Mrs. So I was stuck waiting in the lobby for 3 hours until he arrived. Upon check-in, they told us we requested a "smoking room" which was completely false (we did not even think there were smoking rooms in hotels any more). The reservation was even confirmed by phone to be "non-smoking." They blamed Expedia (do not recommend these discount sites unless you are willing to take the least desirable rooms in the hotel). Don't know whose fault it was, but we did get a non-smoking room. I have no complaints about the staff or the service, which was very good and what you would expect from such a famous brand.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is the first time we have ever stayed in an hotel of this quality. The room was had was huge, with a separate kitchen area and two walk-in wardrobes (or closets, is you're American).

We found the staff always helpful and polite although it did get a bit hectic in the evenings as there were several functions at the hotel.

The only niggle we had was that there a two banks of lifts and they don't all serve all floors. In the evenings you have to put your door card into the lift to get access to your floor (it will only take you to your floor). However, if you have friends elsewhere in the hotel (as we did) the reception staff will give you an access card for that floor, after a security check. Just make sure you to the right lifts!

If you are going to New York and you can afford it, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2013

15 minutes in line to be told my room wasn't ready. They texted me when it was. Waited another 12 minutes in the "Hilton Honors Gold Service" line to pick up my keys. It wasn't the room I paid for, but hey, nobody is perfect. After the Bellman returned form a break I went up to my room and the wireless was not working. Tech showed up, couldn't solve it. I'm afraid to try dinner for fear of problems in the kitchen. I guess this Hilton IPO is draining the organization's attention to running their hotels. Franchises. Go figure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 813Marcie
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear 813Marcie,

Thank you for your comments. I am terribly sorry that you waited as long as you did for your guest room, and that you were not satisfied with the guest room you were given. I understand that comfort is of utmost importance to our guest, and that it must have been frustrating to not receive what you were expecting. I sincerely apologize that our team was unable to solve your internet connection issues. We want our guests to feel at home when at the Waldorf Astoria, and know that it can be challenging to feel at home when you cannot access your email, etc. Please, if you have a moment, email me with the confirmation number from your stay. I would really like my team to research your stay further to determine what positive changes we can make moving forward.

Geoffrey Cousineau
Director of Operations
Geoffrey.Cousineau@waldorfastoria.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

CHECKING IN – 2 separate rooms @ $800 per night each were booked for a 3 day stay. Selected Waldorf based on its 5 star rating, location and the fact it is an NYC icon. My girlfriend arrived at the hotel 7 hrs earlier than myself and checked into her room without any problems. I missed my Hong Kong to JFK connection and after securing a seat on the next flight which would get me into JFK around 11.30pm I phoned The Waldorf to advise new arrival time which was noted and agreed they would keep my room available. After 24hrs of nonstop travel at approx. 12.30am I checked in only to be told the assigned non-smoking room was not available. Hmmm … and after explaining Im based in Shanghai and get to travel on vacation only once a year so it was really important to check into the room I booked 3 months prior, I eventually settled for a much smaller room @ $600 per night. Although I wasn’t offered a discount, after a serious one on one with the duty manager regarding my displeasure he did provide 3 breakfast vouchers for Oscars which Im assuming one should be grateful for as the daily buffet breakfast tally’s up at an unbelievable $50!

THE ROOM – Thick layer of dust on everything except the bed, phone disgustingly filthy (thank god for Purell), blinds in tatters – not even block out. Furniture was thread bare and old, the only amenities were very small bottles of moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner – no slippers or toothbrush. The towels were comparable to or possibly even below the standard offered by the Quality Inn chain (hard and scratchy) and there was no magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Really not that acceptable for $600 - $800 per night.

THE LOBBY – Although jaded and outdated, it is clearly the pride of the hotel and in comparison to the guest rooms it most certainly is a sparkling gem! Despite the check in drama and after wiping down the room myself we decided to just get over it and enjoy this iconic NYC hotel. We thought at some point during our stay it would be nice to enjoy a drink in the lobby bar. That however was more easily desired than actually accomplished as the lobby and bar were continually filled to overflowing with “non guests” making it extremely difficult for actual guests to secure a lobby bar seat without waiting a minimum of 30-40 mins. Upon being told there would be min 30-40 min wait to consume the drink intended to dull my throbbing head, I gazed around in dismay at the people frequenting the lobby as it became apparent this iconic NYC hotel clearly lacked any kind of acceptable dress code - so sad.

SUMMARY – This review is harsh but accurate, the only positive aspect of our stay were the bed and bed linen and clearly a good bed and bed linen is not worth $600 - $800 per night. In addition to the above and due to being WITHOUT HOT WATER for 2 days out of the 3 in her room, my girlfriend concurs wholeheartedly with this review. For $600 - $800 per night this experience was pretty much unacceptable. The hotel would have been stunning when built in its earlier days and although the original architecture, fixture and fittings are lovely and still on display, this hotel is in serious need of a refurbishment. So do yourself a favor and treat this landmark hotel as merely another interest point in NYC like Grand Central Station – go take a walk through the lobby and after a 30-40 min wait, join the many other tourists for a drink in the lobby. That would be the other tourists who actually read the negative hotel reviews (unlike ourselves) and finally DON’T stay there – you will thank this review and the many others for saving your hard earned cash….

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any good rooms for the amount being charged.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SM_Shanghai
Dear SM_Shanghai,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We take our reviews very seriously, and will be discussing your review in detail. I sincerely apologize for the lack of hospitality provided to you upon arriving after what must have been a very long and exhausting trip from Shanghai. While I am glad that you found your bed and linen to be comfortable, I am so sorry that the rest of your guest room did not meet your standards. I would like to learn more about your stay to determine which guestroom you stayed in and who you worked with from our team. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Geoffrey Cousineau
Director of Operations
Geoffrey.Cousineau@waldorfastoria.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I have just arrived back home from spending our honeymoon at the hotel for a week. What a fantastic experience, the service from everyone from reception staff to luggage guys was superb. We asked for a fridge and coffee making facilities in the room and they were delivered within minutes. We were treated wonderfully and would recommend this hotel time and again for sheer class and elegance! Fantastic atmosphere and great cocktails in Peacock Alley, breakfast in Oscars is more than enough to keep you going all day! Special thanks to Megan H and Victoria K who arranged a few surprises that were just so special to us. A few areas in our suite could do with a little fixing and replacing but you're in New York and what does it really matter for the amount if time you are in the room? The bed is fantastic and so comfortable and a south side room if you can get it is great for views. Would love to always be able to stay here!

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a Beautiful, well located hotel. Stayed the weekend of 13-15 December so it was crazy crowded. The Lobby is beautiful and decorated so nice for Christmas but with the fully booked rooms (1432 of them) and big events in the Ballroom, the lobby was choatic all the time. You definately dont feel luxury when being jostled and waiting with large crowds for every elevator. Therefore, service is non existent really, you were just one of the crowd. As a Diamond member we have a separate quiet oasis to check in which was very nice, that is a special touch. I used points to book the room last minute so wasnt expecting much of an upgrade if any considering the hotel was almost or fully booked. The Diamond desk person did find the best updated superior (aka standard) room she could find and it did have a peek of Park avenue and did not have any issues that other reivewers complained of (peeling wallpaper, mold etc), very elegant but very very small. It definately would not have been worth the room rate of 600+ a night. Definately pay the difference and upgrade to a higher category room to really experience the Waldorf. That being said the clientele in the lobby was very elegant (black ties and gowns for Christmas ball events) and the public areas are beautiful if overcrowded.

1 Thank CraigS090
Uppsala
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at Waldorf Astoria last week of March and enjoyed it immensly, even though the wheather was blistering. Waldorf Astoria is absolutely a top hotel with excellent food and incredible service. Waldorf Astoria is on walking distance to many of the interesting spots of NY.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple