“Sir Harrys is not always open”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have stayed at the Waldorf many times and have reviewed this hotel before. My latest stay was not my best stay. There were many issues with my room. I will say they were all resolved but it was painful having to deal with them. When I arrived my TV remote would not work. Turns out the batteries were out and I needed a replacement. Additionally the bath stopper would not close, so a bath was not possible. Another trip from maintenance revealed that the stopper needed replacing. My room was also missing a bathrobe. And when drying my hair one evening the lights went out as a breaker had apparently been tripped. I guess whoever stays in my room next will be fine as I took care of all of the many issues.
On another note, I really enjoy going to Sir Harrys bar. It is not always open. Who knows when it is open? What is the deal with this? It’s a hotel bar; it should always be open. Management needs to fix this problem for sure! And be sure every room is ready for guests so they don’t spend half their trip on the phone with maintenance!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear AMM5226,

Thank you for your comments, and thank you for returning to the Waldorf Astoria once again. I am so very sorry that you experienced so many issues in your guestroom. I know that this can be very frustrating. We promise each and every guest an unforgettable experience, and I am terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. I am following up with you in a private message now to discuss further.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria New York

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Waldorf Astoria a hotel full of old world charm and old world courteous, well mannered, staff who led by a fantastic front of house manager called Greg, sorted out the two slight issues we had on arrival with the utmost efficiency and speed. We were made to feel very special, having stayed at many Manhattan hotels over the years, including the Helmsley and the W, we could not recommend it highly enough.
The perfect location is ideal for both shopping and sightseeing, and Oscars restaurant, situated on the lower level of the hotel, provides the most fantastic breakfast.
Looking forward to returning this year!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Waldorf lives up to its reputation as a reputable hotel in New York. Easily accessible to mid-town attractions and the subway. Rooms are clean and comfortable; the staff is courteous and helpful. Certainly at the top of my list of NYC hotels and recommend it to others.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I am very satisfied with the service I received at the hotel. The room was very clean and fresh. The bathroom was extremely clean and I enjoyed it very much. We had a very pleasant and quite sleep. The bed was a comfortable as my bed at home. This is quite surprising! The staff were courteous and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The door man was the best thing about the entire hotel. Thank you Eric, for being professional and helpful.

We booked 3 nights at the Waldorf - Superior King (which is not the cheapest room). We have status with Hilton, but we were given a room next to the elevator that has not been renovated. The DING! from the elevator was loud and constant. The bathroom was not clean in ways I don't even want to talk about. Our room was 78 degrees, and the thermostat was broken. We turned it completely off, but the room would not cool down, and it was stifling.

After the first night, I packed up my things with the intention of checking out. We were given a different room on a higher floor, which was renovated, and much better. But, I still didn't think that the experience was anything special. Forget about the massive TV that looks out of place - give me a COFFEE MAKER.

The reception staff is not polished. I did not feel taken care of, I felt processed. The concierge could almost not be bothered to make suggestions. The Gold Reception desk was unstaffed much of the time.

No doubt it is a beautiful building. It has historic significance. People go there because of the name. There is some expectation of an experience. The staff should be introduced to this concept.

I think it would be a good thing to somewhat enforce the dress code of the hotel. It looked like a refugee camp in the lobby most of the time. I don't need everyone to be glamorous, but showered and out of pajamas would be a step up.

I've seen historic hotels do it much better. Time to step it up.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room that is not near the loud elevators. If you can get a room on the St. Bart...

Dear JMWDEL

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience and that you had to move in order to feel comfortable. Your comments regarding reception are extremely helpful and certainly point out a training opportunity for us. Thank you for remembering Eric's name for your review. We are lucky to have him on our team. I am going to follow up with you in a private message now.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Well we spent 4 nights at the Waldorf and I must say the Hotel has not lost its character. Once in our rooms at first I thought the decor was dated and the bathroom hadn't been updated since the hotel was built... but it actually gives you a fab feel of the Oldy Worldy Character and how it was when the Legendary Rich and Famous used to stay. If rooms where refurbished it would definatley lose its Antiquey feel. Everything was lovely... the shower and the bed was sooo big and comfy

There was one bad point which I am highly disappointed about... we decided to have a drink in the bar on the Saturday 21st December at around 5pm... we sat down and waited 30 minutes to be served before getting up and going back to our room to get ready to go out... people where sat around the bar so there was no chance of us getting a drink... so very disappointed that we spent so much money on a Hotel and we didnt get the full glory of it

We went on a Dinner Cruise which the lady at the desk kindly booked for us

Also I asked for a plug convertor which the lady said was on its way. 25 mins late it was still on its way. Finally took 50 mins to get to my room (when a girl wants to straighen her hair on her first full day in NY in a morning and go shop its a long time)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I tried to contact this hotel via email before I arrived, I used several different email contacts from their website over a period of about 2 weeks before someone came back to me. On arrival, our reservation was incorrect, we'd booked and had confirmation for 5 nights, they only had 3 nights. They said at first that WiFi was chargeable and when I tackled them about it they then gave me a promoition code to get it free. The room was a surprise to say the least. I know they've tried to retain the character of the hotel, and they've done that beautifully in the lobby and reception areas but I would have expected the rooms to have been updated since they were first built. The room was clean, but the only way I can describe it is "very tired". The bathroom had the original fittings still in it which made it look grubby although it was clean, and our shower didn't work until we got someone to come and fix it. We had the Waldorf salad in the lobby bar and is was very nice but terribly overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladywithasuitcase

Dear Ladywithasuitcase,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your guestroom and with the pricing of our restaurants. This is extremely valuable feedback that will be taken very seriously by our management team. I am following up with you through a private message to discuss further.