“Very Comfortable Room, but was very HOT in temperature.”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very Comfortable Room, but was very HOT in temperature.”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Welcome to the new millennium, Waldorf Astoria. We all seemed to have arrived, but you have seemed to stay in the 1950's with your ac/ heating system. So when we entered our room, when it was finally ready, I noticed that it was as HOT AS BALLS! So I went over to the temperature gauge on the wall and turned it down to 67 degrees. It had to be like 80 in our room. Hours went by and I noticed that it was not cooling.

So, I called the front desk and asked them how to turn the heat down. Their answer, "Well, you really can't turn it down because the heat is on for the whole hotel." WHAT????? Okay, for 600.00 a night one would think that you would be able to regulate the temperature in your own guest room. Seriously!

So the front desk told me that I could open the window. Great. Well that would have been great if I could have managed to open the window on my own. But no, I had to call maintenance to do it for me. Are you kidding? Unfortunately, I am not kidding.

I cannot say that i will return to this hotel just because of this one issue. It is miserable to be too hot in a hotel room and you need to tip someone handsomely just to open a window. Never again.

Room Tip: If you like it HOT AS BALLS, well then this is YOUR hotel. Be sure to mention that you DO NOT WISH t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Lisa M,

Thank you very much for your comments about the heat in your guestroom. I understand that it can be very uncomfortable to be too hot. This feedback is extremely valuable to us. I am going to follow-up with you in a private message.

Director of Front Office Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I chose to spend an overnight at the Waldorf since it was near landmarks we were interested in seeing. This is not our first trip to NYC and we have stayed at many hotels. The decor is as ravishing as the hotels history. Big Plus!

Check-in was quick and efficient. That's about all I can say. The room were were appointed was very nice, very comfortable, spotless and quiet. Another plus.

Enjoyed cocktails at Peacock Alley, especially the celebrated 1860 Manhattan and the Platinum Martini. A bit pricey $47 for one of each but it is NY.

Hotel Downside...Rarely do I complain about staff but when my husband inquired if there was a complementary coffee service in the morning (as we have found at other 5 star hotels including Europe) we were all but laughed at and were told to order room service. Staff is not quick to help you find dining options outside of the hotel and actually made us feel embarassed that we inquired. I will say this hotel is exceptionally busy (perhaps too busy) and that may be why we felt rushed and not as welcomed as we have in other NYC properties.

History aside I would not likely return for more than a drink.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

New York has so many great hotel offerings for the business traveller, leisure traveller, hipster, etc… I would not recommend this hotel to any category.

This hotel is living purely off its reputation.

While the hotel is steeped in history, the furnishings at this hotel are about as old as the history itself and are in desperate need of a makeover and renovation.

The rooms are old and shabby.

The service is mediocre as one would expect at a very large hotel like this.

I don't understand why Hilton make this their flagship property, as there are definitely better Hilton branded hotels out there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PCS79
Dear PCS79,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience at the Waldorf Astoria. I promise each of our guests an unforgettable experience, and I am terribly sorry to learn that we were unable to do this for you. I am following up with you know in a private message.

Israel
Reviewed 13 January 2014

A beautiful entrance that takes you for a few moments into another world until you reach your room. How disappointing!!! Old, small, certainly not big enough to sell as a room for three. Lots lacking in the room. I have to say that when we called to ask for something we received it immediately, but one does not expect to have to call for such basic things in a hotel like the Waldorf Astoria - one would expect the hotel to be ready for your visit.

Another point - we were there during the snow storm on January 3. How could the hotel not clear the front of its hotel. My daughter went flying into the glass door. I have to say the doorman was very nice, but when we went to the front desk to tell them what had happened the woman was completely unsympathetic, uncaring, it was quite unbelievable. And she did not fall in the morning when the snow was falling, she fell many hours after!!! It is totally unacceptable that the hotel did not have a company to clear up in front of its entrances.

Maybe I should have given it 2 stars, not 3!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RenaA
Dear RenaA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience with us, and to hear about what happened to your daughter. We strive to provide each and every guest with an unforgettable experience, and we are terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. I am going to follow-up with you in a private message now.

Brighton
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Having stayed at the Towers before we were very disappointed with our stay. We were a family of 4, and were here from 2nd to 6th of January. Reception was very busy and had to wait 40 mins to check in, the room we were initially shown was tired,dated and very very small. We did change rooms to a much larger room but this was still tired! The staff I felt were rude, unfriendly and in fact rude. I feel the hotel is living off its name and falls very short of the service you would expect.

Room Tip: We had room 1514 which was a large spacious room but tired!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear vickyguile,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am so sorry that you and your family were dissatisfied with your experience at the Waldorf Astoria. I am quite dissapointed to hear that you found our team to be unhelpful and rude. This is certainly a training opportunity for us. I am going to follow up with you in a private message to discuss further.

Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

What more can I say, five nights in NYC on the week leading up to Christmas, we had snow, we had cold sunny days and we also had two sunny warm days !

New York City is fabulous, shopping, site seeing, helicopters, horse and carriage, museums, we done loads and will return one day to do it all again and some of the things we never had time to do on this trip.

Our stay in the Waldorf made our trip all the more memorable, great hotel, great food, great staff, enough said !

My wife and I had an absolute blast, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria during the first week of December. The hotel is extremely busy at this time of year. The lobby is full of the crowds and excitement that comes with the events that are happening in New York during this time of year. I thought the hotel was adequately staffed for our stay but you do need to have patience if you have extra needs. The rooms were clean and the floor staff courteous. The location is very good but be careful to allow extra time for cab cues during the busy times. What I love about the hotel is that you can open the windows to get cool air into the room...as long as you can sleep with the typical sounds of New York. Don't expect great views from the rooms and rooms with king beds can be in short supply during this busy time. All in all, a good New York experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business