“Waldorf Astoria”

Ranked #259 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Waldorf Astoria”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Little to fault this iconic hotel part from that the rooms are on the small size and everything is expensive, but this is new york so that has to be expected. Location is brilliant - it is even o stop on the Hop On Hop Off buses. Breakfast in Oscars is expensive an OK but not really worth the money...there is a Starbucks out the back but a nicer one on 5th Avenue where you can watch the world (and I mean the world) pass by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Wow. When you book at a place like the Waldorf Astoria, you get these visions of grandeur, the design, the gold guilding, the history, the impeccable service. You get excited to, for a brief moment, be a part of it. That excitement wanes once you step in. Sure the surroundings are still beautiful...in the lobby at least. I mean I had more than enough time to check them out...while waiting in line to check in...for 30 minutes...at 10pm.
Regardless, we get our keys and head to our room. Which was right behind the elevator shaft, making sleeping somewhat hard to do. We get in and it seems fine, until I go to plug in my phone. There was a broken outlet underneath the desk and as I looked up there was paint chipped pff the radiator fronts and it was horribly rusty. The bath drain was moldy and just altogether disappointing.
I stopped the next morning to inform the front desk and show them the pictures. They gave me $100 credit and told me they would take care of it. I go up to my room to get changed and a few minutes later a woman comes to the door to check on my complaints. She said oooh, I cant really do anything I am not sure why they called me. She unscrewed the drain and said I can scrub this but that is about all I can do. She was friendly but not very helpful. So we left to get to our appointment and when we got back they had switched a lamp out of our room and replaced it with a different lamp. I missed the point of that whole thing. Then a guy tried to open our door without knocking, later on, to give us an extension cord...utterly confused at this point. There wasnt a lack of outlets, I just didnt want to get blamed nor did I think something like that (a destroyed outlet) belonged in such a "high class" establishment.
Now, when I went to check out I was told that I had an $18.22 credit still remaining on my account and to go grab something at the gift shop. I asked if parking was on there...he said yes. Okay, cool, so I go grab a book for $18.51. He goes through this whole fiasco to make sure it doesnt post twice. I check out and go to retrieve my car. I hand thr valet clerk my ticket she says $60 please...I said um I was told it was already posted on my account and it was paid for. She said "No, sir, that was only for one night". Ah, I see. Whatever, here's the money just give me the keys to my freedom.
Yesterday I looked at my cc account to realize they charged me for the book. Now I have to try and communicate again with these people. Pray for my sanity.
Never want to stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Laine R
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Laine,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the hassle and frustration this incident has caused you. We regret the confusion with billing and reservations and hope the issue is resolved. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality and service you deserve should you return to the city in the future. We are dedicated to ensuring quality hospitality, and encourage you to contact our offices directly if you would like to discuss your visit further.

Siobhan Delaney
Assistant Director of Rooms
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for Valentine's Day Weekend 2014. Classic New York Hotel. Well sized rooms, very large for NYC! Close to many popular "attractions." Lots of nice history regarding the hotel and past residents. Everyone should stay here at least once. Lobby area very impressive! Service impeccable!

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014

You can't beat this place for history, stayed here a number of times mostly in the Towers. We love dinner in the bull and bear, with cocktails in the bar before and after!

If you are there on Sunday morning book the Sunday brunch at peacock alley, it is expensive but it is an amazing experience and definitely worth spending the time working your way through the different phases from breakfast to lunch!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

+ old classy hotel and impressive lobby
+ rooms are nice and beds are comfortable!
+ we had a nice view
+ not the best place from where to explore NYC, but quite central
+ previous comments told that reception desk is not friendly... was NOT true for us... friendly

- too expensive
- rooms need modernisation
- wifi costs 15$ a day !!!

Room Tip: we had a room on 25th floor..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank evgueny1
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I've stayed here before - the public areas are beautiful. The service is fantastic - all of the staff are friendly, responsive and working hard to make sure a stay is comfortable and uneventful.

The lobby is truly beautiful but the rooms are very small by today's standards. The beds are very comfortable.

It is serving a much broader clientele than the very top-end hotels, so it lacks the quiet elegance of an Intercontinental or Four Seasons or even a Trump Tower. I did enjoy the stay. And, located in Manhattan - it is definitely well located.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Highlands, NJ, United States
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Old World Elegance Charm lovely gracious and attentive staff Spacious comfortable calm Perfect location Real NY experience with no stress The sFood delicious; service family friendly. The suite was luxurious and spacious.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple