“Great customer service”

Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Newport Beach, California
“Great customer service”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We worked with Buddy at the front desk to check in on Friday. It was our friends bachelorette so he made sure to put us in an amazing suite with a perfect city view of St. Bart's Church. We had to wait a little bit before our room was ready Friday afternoon so Buddy provided us with a few drink vouchers to use in one of the bars. The customer experience was excellent and Buddy truly made our trip so much more special. I would definitely go back to the hotel again - it was the perfect weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Court D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I wanted to love my stay at the Waldorf, I really did. Instead I found myself underwhelmed by a stuffy room that reeked of musty furniture. For what its worth, the hotel it well kept. But the unpredictable shower temperature and air conditioning that wouldn't go lower than 24C put a bad taste in our mouth. That was chased by horrific staff experiences, including the attitude of one staffer who went out of her way to belittle my telephone request for some cutlery to be sent to our room (a 45 minute wait...I ended up walking down to the bar to get a butter knife). Not what I was expecting for $500/night.

To cap it all off, we noticed that I had left an iPhone (battery dead) in our room about 30 minutes after check-out. We called the hotel enroute to the airport to be told that the only thing that was found was the set of headphones which belonged to the phone. Great. Subsequent phone calls led nowhere.

Concierge was helpful, as they should be. We didn't make use of the amenities at the hotel. I would have preferred to be closer to Central Park.

The hotel is busy so expect delays upon check-in. Make sure you have a view of more than the bird-poop strewn mechanical areas on the terraces. And if you find it hot, the windows do open (just ignore the "do not open" sign).

While I'm sure that this place was amazing in 1931, the luxury-factor simply does not hold up. Stay away unless you're into historic hotels that smell like your grandfather's basement.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank withoutahintofirony
Waldorf_Astoria_NYC, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Withoutahintofirony,

Thank you for taking your personal time to complete a review of your recent stay with us. We wanted you to love your stay with us too and we are greatly disappointed in our failure to deliver the level of experience you had expected. We are more than capable of meeting your well deserved expectations.

I was particularly concerned with your comments about the quality of your room accommodations and about the level of service you received. We take these comments very seriously. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further so that we may identify what specifically happened and work to rectify it.

Yours in service,
Siobhan Delaney
Assistant Director of Rooms
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Having read numerous reviews on TA, I was eager to check out the current condition of the Waldorf. Since I had not stayed there for 6 or 7 years, I was fearful it had lost its ambience. Conclusion: No way! I don't think anyone disagrees the entrance and lobby are as grand and gorgeous as ever. Back In the late 50s and early 60s I would regularly meet friends and co-workers under the clock...a loving landmark. Today, fifty years later, it looks and feels exactly the same...what a treat! The room was beautiful. larger than average, and the fittings and furniture first class and as clean as a pin. There was nothing tired or seedy about the room and bathroom whatsoever. The pedestal sink appeared to be brand new. The water was hot immediately. ( I'm beginning to think some of these reviewers stayed somewere else and just thought they were at the Waldorf.) Oddly enough, the only complaint I have, and I'm sure it would be considered petty, is that I was shocked at the inferior quality of the toilet tissue. My grandson would say "It's less than one ply." A few days after my WA stay, I happened to be at a softball tournament in Vero Beah, FL. Don't laugh, but the TP in the public restroom at the ball park was better quaity than the Waldorf. Hmmm. But that's a small thing compared to a wonderful stay at a grand NYC landmark. I will certainly return every chance I get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had a room in the tower from which you have access to the lounge. Breakfast quite poor, small selection and lounge closes already late afternoon. Room was nice and spacious, but bathroom extremely small. Elevators do not cope with number of guests, specially day guests in the upper conference rooms. You had to wait sometimes a quarter of an hour!
Location very central, you can walk to many places. As diamond HH member you have in this Hotel almost no advantage

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ralph W,

Thank you for providing your feedback of your recent stay. We know you have many choices when traveling and we greatly appreciate your loyalty to Hilton Hotels Worldwide. I sincerely apologize for our failure to deliver an unforgettable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the quality of your experience further.

Yours in service,
Siobhan Delaney
Assistant Director of Rooms
Alhambra, United States
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Our experience at the Waldorf Astoria was terrific. The hotel was centrally located for our needs. The room was very clean and well appointed. Staff was professional and helpful. While we didn't ask for anything difficult my feeling is the staff would have gone out of their way to make sure all guests would have an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Texas
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Like so many other comtributors I had decided to put the negative reviews aside & give the hotel a chance. I desperatly wanted to love it, just for the name & the history of the hotel but sad to say it just doesn't live up to the hype.
The reception/lobby area is beautiful but VERY overcrowded, I guess they just let tourists wander in from the streets to take pictures? It severly takes away from the atmosphere when you have hundreds of people slowly milling about taking photo's of everything.
The room was small & although the quality of the furnishings was clear, they did look 'tired'. Also, the rooms are not very soundproof. I could clearly hear a child crying/making noise in one of the neighbouring rooms. Not intrusive enough to warrent a complaint but far from the silent night of sleep I had been hoping for after a long day out exploring the city.
Overall, for this price range there are other much better options.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa H, Social Media Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear IslandDragon,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on the comfort and appointment of our guestrooms and we are sorry to hear you were disappointed in our offerings. We will use your comments as we continually evolve our guests' experience so we may continue to provide the world class experience you expect and deserve. We hope you will return to stay with us in the future so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Melissa Howard
Social Media Manager - WANYC
Melissa.Howard@WaldorfAstoria.com
m
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my wife for a few nights for our anniversary celebrations. No complaints, its not a cozy homely place, if thats what you seek you may wanna look around, hustle bustle, huge, busy place, did not use much of hotel facilities except room service which was good

• Stayed June 2013