“Overhyped Historic Hotel”

Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Canton, United States
“Overhyped Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Check in took nearly 45 minutes. There was no room service menu in my room. The lampshade, desk chair and window shade were all in need of repair with rips, tears and frayed edges. Given the reputation of the Waldorf Astoria, my expectations were high, and I was EXTREMELY disappointed. I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

2 Thank Candace B
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Candace,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and regret you were disappointed in your experience. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly evolve to improve our guests' experience, and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better provide the world class experience you expect and deserve.

Assistant Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mesquite, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Enjoyed the Waldorf experience. The rooms are dated technology wise other than that it was awesome. Keep in mind that you are paying for the experience. Truly enjoyed the bar and the customer serviced received there was awesome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Benito,

It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your recent experience at the Waldorf Astoria! Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

We will take your comments about the technology component of our room accommodations under advisement as we move forward to evolve our property so that it meets the highest standards. In the future, we hope you will return to the Waldorf Astoria when you visit New York City again!

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The reception area is amazing and a sight to behold.

The Staff are very helpful and the rooms were everything that you would expect.

We really enjoyed the hotel, however they do charge for things like WIFI which at $15 per day I thought was a bit naughty.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chet5629
Dear Chet5269,

We are thrilled to read that you found our service accommodating and that our rooms exceeded your expectations. Isn't walking into the Park Avenue lobby such a special thing? I'm glad you enjoyed the ambiance there- it's truly unlike any other place in the world.

We will use your comment regarding the Wifi here to shape our thoughts as we go forward to understand more about ways we can improve our guest experiences, and I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that we are currently developing a strategy to address issues such as this one.

Next time you are in New York City, we hope for the opportunity to be your host! Until then, be well and let us know if we can be of assistance in any way.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Spent a weekend there in July. Got offered an upgrade to the Towers and gladly accepted it. The hotel is still the same it was during the time Gatsby (the Great) spent some time there. The old pictures in the hallways make you realize that not a lot changed. Rooms are comfy and the decor looks like your well to do grandma's home. Internet on the room worked beautifully, shower was very good, and the linen were very comfortable. Although it has clear disadvantages to newer hotels, I need to congratulate all staff for the excellent customer service provided. We had complimentary breakfast on the 26th floor and, after realizing the place was full we were given vouchers for "Oscar's" were the service was equally very good. Given the price point and the aura of the place, I would definitely go back.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jax9000
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Jax9000,

Thank you for your commendations. It is wonderful to learn that you were impressed by our standard of service and our historic ambiance. Next time you are in the city, we hope that you will return to our property so that we may welcome you with the light and warmth of hospitality once more!

Dublin
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a terrible experience here recently. I travelled with 3 friends for a 40th birthday celebration. We decided to go for Waldorf as a treat! It was anything but! We were allocated rooms on the 13th floor which was definitely unlucky for us! The entire floor smelled of damp, our room had mould growing on the walls and the wallpaper was peeling off. This didn't seem to phase the reception staff who were some of the rudest people I've ever encountered.

We asked to be moved and were told each day of our stay that we'd be moved the following day, after 3 days of this, of packing our bags each day and being told "sorry there are no other rooms available" I phoned down and asked to speak with the manager, I explained the full situation, outlined our extreme disappointment with the experience to date and the managers response was and I quote "so what are you trying to say to me" to say I was dumbstruck would be an understatement!

Finally they agreed to move us but the alternative room offered was just as bad so we told them to just forget it. On the very last night of our stay at 8pm we were told we were being upgraded to a suite and we were moved to a suite in the towers, beautiful room but it was too little too late.

I was so disappointed with the experience and can safely say I will never go back. I emailed the general manager when I got home as I felt so strongly about how we were treated, we were there 5 days and never unpacked a bag, we were left waiting around for hours trying to get the situation resolved, I was left on hold for over 20 mins on the phone on one occasion, the staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful but he never bothered to reply.

Disappointing from start to finish and my advice to anyone considering staying here would be don't waste your money, there are so many lovely hotels in Manhattan with great customer service so shop around and definitely read reviews before you go.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ci_hughes
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear ci_hughes,

We are very disappointed that we were not able to impress you with our service or room accommodation while you were here. The issues you listed are not at all in line with our standards, and we will be in touch shortly to discuss these inconveniences further with you.

Thank you for your patience, and please accept our sincere apologies for the frustration you experienced.

My best regards,
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for 5 nights in August last year. What a lovely building. We didn't get to check in till after midnight and even at that time of the night they were very helpful.
Our room was lovely, a wee bit tired but still very nice. The bed was comfy and everything was nice and clean. The bathroom was good as well.
It was within walking distance to Times Square and we walked everywhere.
Overall we loved our stay and would love to come back one day.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear traceymains,

It is excellent to hear that your expectations were met and exceeded during your recent stay at our hotel. We consider it a high privilege to provide our True Waldorf Service to each and every guest, and so we are also thankful to hear that you were impressed with our standard of service.

Not only was it just the location, or just the service, that affected your positive review, but the truly great thing is that you enjoyed the ambiance of our hotel. We would love to welcome you back to New York City on your next visit and hope for the opportunity to be your host again!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is one of the most famous in the world. It reputedly regularly entertains world leaders and other VIPs. Maybe they get a different level of service from the rest of us, because after three visits, I've found it to be seriously average as a place to stay.

The lobby, which has been renovated, is impressive. I wasn't impressed to be barked at by a flunky: "you're after that gentleman" (yes, I know, that's why I'm standing behind him). The receptionist couldn't find my booking, and then couldn't attach my Hilton Honors account to the booking.

Once you get beyond the public areas, much of the hotel still looks rather tired. My room had been refurbished - I think - but was small and rather drab. The window was filthy.

There is wireless internet, but the instructions in the room didn't work. When I puzzled it out, my 3G account was faster.

Shower worked backwards. Hot was cold, and vice versa.

Had a very average roast chicken meal in the Bull and Bear. At very nearly $100 for a two course meal and a beer, horribly overpriced, even by Midtown standards. Service was friendly, though.

So overall, it's just about OK. But underneath its landmark building, it's really a rather average New York hotel. Even Hilton have got better hotels in the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Philip S
Dear Philip S,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the concerns you listed.

We take feedback from our guests very seriously, and guest room appearance is an area of our hotel that we are actively examining. We are currently embarking on a strategy to improve our property, offerings, and standard of service.

It is our duty and privilege to be a top choice for valued guests such as yourself out of all the hotels in our beautiful city, and we will continuously evolve to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our guests' expectations at every step of the way. We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how far we've come in the future!