“Close walk to times square and free parking garage”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #336 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Close walk to times square and free parking garage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We booked this hotel based on price, location to attractions and subway, and the free parking garage, as we were visiting NYC on a budget, and we were not disappointed, the Travel Inn lived up to what we hoped it would be.

The Travel Inn is a short walk to Times square and lots of other attractions which was great. Rooms were clean and had enough space, nice place to rest after a long day of walking around the city. Bathrooms were nice and clean and we had no problems with the water pressure or temperature. Some staff at the desk were more helpful then others. Had to call the manager (ext number is available in welcome book) as upon check in the lobby staff told us that our request for a smoking room could not be granted. Called manager and within 5 minutes we were moving to our smoking room. Other wise staff helpful, with directions and things to see. One female staff even gave us a map and wrote on it directions and subway stops we needed to get to our destinations. The free parking is great (you will have trouble finding parking at all, let alone a FREE parking garage at any other hotel in Manhattan) and the hotel is only a couple minutes from the Lincoln tunnel so you dont really have to drive into the city traffic. Subway station is a few minute walk away which is great and there is a grocery store and liqour store practicaly right next store to the hotel. Room came with a mini fridge and a microwave. No coffee maker but there is a deli right next store you can get your morning coffee from. The hotel is clean and the neighbourhood feels very safe, there is a police station right across the street. Didnt use the pool because we visited in winter. All in all it was a fantastic trip and the hotel was great. Will definatley go again and have recomended this hotel to our friends who have gone and loved it as well.

Room Tip: The Food Emporium grocery store is only about a minute away. Full grocery store, nice place to grab...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

this hotel has a great location...
My experience was bad since they didnt clean well my room, i even found clothes of the last guest ...

The worst wast that THEY CHARGED MY CARD 10 TIMES, so my bank blocked and i could used it while i was there... i didnt found about this til i was on my flight back home , in every single place my card was denied , it didnt make sense for so i used i different one... i dont know why the did it , but i find it very suspicious.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CitlalliCortez
MILO928, Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
I thank you for your recent comments and I am very sorry if your stay was not as expected. I am sure that our staff has fixed your billing issue as we would never want you to leave our property with these issues unresolved. Please call our Management office if you still have any issues regarding the credit card billing. I am however very concerned regarding your comment of cleanliness issues as we rarely have complaints in this area. We will be looking into this right away. We do hope that you consider giving us another chance while in New York. Please feel free to contact our office if you do and we will be sure to make your next visit a success

Management

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed in a double double with my mum for three nights.
Can't complain about the location at just 10min walk from Times Sq.
Rooms were generally clean (although could do with a good scrub and Hoover behind chairs in the room) but looking on the tired and dated side.
Nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room.
Rooms open onto open corridors, which surround a courtyard and the swimming pool so can be a bit noisy.
The hotel offered the best rate room we could find in NY which is generally hideously overpriced, so on that sense it was good value, although it was expensive compared to the 4* we had just come from in Philly.
No breakfast facilities, but a deli next door and a supermarket just a block away.
If I couldn't afford any more money, this is a good choice for couples, but next trip to NY I might see if I could afford tp push the boat put s bit more. Previously stayed in the sister hotel the Belvedere, which is a bit more plush, but also not wow.
It's a hotel in New York- so get out of the room and enjoy the city!!!

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

My trip from England was for pleasure, depending on your kind of trip will depend what you make of this hotel. Me and my friend were just looking for a base, somewhere to wash and sleep and this is what we got. A slight mix up on the booking found us in a very small dark and dingy room, the staff at reception did move us to the correct room but got the impression they weren't overly pleased about doing this.

Location: Pretty good to be honest, just far enough out to be quiet and close enough to walk everywhere, you do have to walk past some dodgy people from TSQ to get back to the hotel though. NYPD right opposite though.

Cleanliness: Bed and sheets clean, bathroom clean, fresh towels daily, what more do you want? I'd rather smell air-freshener than any nasty smells.

Sleep Quality: After miles and miles of walking each day we were pretty tired each night so slept ok, despite overlooking the main road, we did sleep with the window closed though. We weren't located by the lift but there was a resonable loud droneing sound that may affect some people.

Rooms: Double - two double beds, large TV that worked, large fridge which was a bonus! Adequate sized bathroom and good sized wardrobe with iron. Yes it's dated and not very modern would be an understatement!

Service: Hmmmm it was ok, staff not overly friendly but they did what they had to and sometimes made you feel awkward when asking for anything. DO NOT book a taxi back to JFK through the hotel, we did it as it was easier but they charge $20 more than a yellow taxi!
I was unaware until I came on here that there was air-conditioning in the rooms, I presume it wasn't working, the pool looked ok and clean, the gym had what was needed, there was somewhere to put your luggage if you have a late flight....saying that this was away from reception and unmanned and unlocked when we turned up at 6pm to collect our things!!!!

Overal this is an old and outdated building, if your looking for a base to stay this is good, you will save some money to spend on 5th Avenue! However if you will spend any length of time in the hotel I would be inclined to avoid it. Would I stay here again.....if I couldn't find anywhere better for the same price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

What a treat to have a spacious (by NY standards) room in a great location with FREE PARKING in an adjacent parking garage. The hotel was a few steps away from a deli (Broadway Deli, I believe) where I could pick up morning coffee and eats. There was a fitness center in the hotel, which I used one morning, and a nice outdoor pool in a courtyard--an oasis amidst the busy city. The hotel is a 5-10 minutes walk from the theater district and from Times Square and therefore in a quieter area. My only complaint is that our room was near the elevator, and the noise was a little invasive, but I'll gladly take it when I consider all the positives of staying here. My husband loved it, too, and we hope to stay here on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not too close to the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

PROS
If you want to be right near Times Square this Motel is within walking distance
There is also the Port Authority Bus Terminal within walking distance
There are plenty of restaurants etc around
Housekeeping was good, they made the beds and refilled everything in the morning.

CONS
We had no hot water for around 12 hours, that's one before bed and one early in the morning before we had to go to the Airport at 6am. On check out i told the guy at the counter there had been no hot water in the room for 12 hours to which he replied "That's ok". Hmmm. It wasn't really.
To get to our room (637) we had to get one lift up to the 3rd floor, walk down the corridor and get another lift to the 6th floor. This got a bit tiresome after a while of coming and going throughout the day and night.
Our room was located behind the lift wall so we had the noise of the lift coming and going all through the night which got a bit irritating after a while.
The room got quite cold at night which, along with the noise of the lift, woke us throughout the night.
There was a strange, white stain on on our blanket and strange marks on the wall.
There were no extra blankets, and only 2 pillows on the bed with no extras.
The lifts were very slow, at one point I thought they might break down, low and behold when we returned one afternoon one of the lifts was 'out of order', although I admit I don't know why.
The tv reception was poor and the remote control was tedious, I think it needed new batteries.
Internet is not included and costs $6 for 24 hours
The reception staff are not overly friendly, you need to call out to them to get their attention-even for checking in despite 3 staff standing there, seemingly ignoring you.
We did not realise it was the UN Grand Assembly week which may have been why it was difficult to find alternate accommodation, and perhaps this is why the rate was so high but this was a VERY expensive motel considering the quality of it. I would not stay here again, or recommend to friends.

ALSO: Be weary of reception offering to call you a cab to the Airport for a flat rate of $65... you can get a NY cab off the street for a flat rate of $45 (including tolls and a 20% tip it'll cost you $56)

Room Tip: I have no tips for this except maybe look at another room in another motel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peipod
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Pros:
- Location (Good neighborhood, minutes from main attractions)
- Price
- Free Parking
This makes it very convenient and unique in Manhattan.

Cons:
- RUDE and unhelpful staff
- Paid wifi, even if you pay it does not work (staff unwilling to resolve the issue)
- No fan in the bathroom!
- Smelly/poor air-conditioned rooms
- TV broken and only two channels available
- Early check-in paid!

If your budget is tight, get this hotel. Otherwise, get something else.
If you are the owner and reading it, do something about the staff please! I'm not paying $250/night to be treated like that!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Achilies_01
MILO928, Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
I thank you very much for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. I am very sorry if your stay did not live up to your expectations as we strive for perfection in customer service and room quality. We do have a Management office that is available for all guests 7 days a week from 9am to 5pm and would have appreciated being able to rectify this situation immediately while you were still a guest with us. Many of these issues would have been easily remedied if only we knew. Our Housekeeping department would always want to know if a room has an odor to it or a television is not working properly. I will guarantee you that we will take your recommendations regarding our customer service very seriously and work to ensure that every guest is treated properly and kindly. I do hope that you give our property another chance and if not, I wish you well in your future travels.

Management