“Hidden Gem”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #339 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I almost hesitate to recommend this hotel, as others will discover its value and charms, and then it might be booked the next time we want to go! But I will anyway...

What first attracted us to the Travel Inn were its great rates and that free parking. The parking alone (self-parking, your car is always available to you, in/ out privileges) is worth booking a room here! Our room (4th floor overlooking the pool and patio) was perfect-- large (a king room), spotlessly clean, with fridge, microwave and a very comfortable bed. Although air-conditioned, it was such a pleasure also being able to open the window and let in the cool night air (I won't say "fresh air", since this is, after all, New York City!). The bed offered a delightful night's sleep and the bathroom was also just fine (don't know what some people are doing complaining about its size-- not huge by any means, but more than adequate) and the toiletries provided were great. Although we didn't make that much use of it, the pool and the patio in downtown Manhattan were a delight.

The hotel's location is excellent: walking anywhere in Manhattan is a breeze, and the Times Square and theatre district are a very easy walk. Starbuck's is just around the corner, a CVS pharmacy across the street, The Food Emporium (great supermarket) a block away and a 24 hr 7-11 just down the street. The police station across from the hotel gives a nice sense of security and the neighborhood felt completely safe and secure no matter what time of day or night we were outside. Many many great restaurants within a ten minute walk (check out Restaurant Row along 9th Avenue!) and we found the Theatre Row Diner diagonally across the street (at Dyer Avenue) a great value with excellent food and service (we breakfasted there every day).

We found some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor totally bizarre--- who ARE these people? Do they expect five star ambiance and service at these prices? If so, they are delusional. The Travel Inn offers excellent value and very comfortable surroundings; if you want plush bathrobes and chocolates on your pillow, then go pay $500 a night elsewhere! No, the front desk service isn't the friendliest (who cares?), but our chambermaid's friendliness and efficiency more than made up for that. City noise at night? Get real, people--- this is Manhattan!

In summary, we LOVED the Travel Inn and we WILL be back on our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PoloRalphLauren
Write a ReviewReviews (1,825)

Reviewed 17 August 2010

My family just got a great deal at the Travel Inn in NYC. We paid about $165/night including taxes and parking. That is an amazing deal in this town. Luxurious? Swank? No. But the room and bathroom were no smaller than in any hotel I’ve stayed in, and super clean. I’m sensitive to hard beds and I slept like a baby. And the location was tough to beat... not in the middle of everything, but plenty close enough. Then there’s the pool, a huge highlight for my kids, and an otherwise impossible get in NYC for under $350/night.

Everyone was very nice and helpful... the parking attendant most especially. Seeing that I was parking under a drippy AC unit that I hadn’t noticed, he gave me extra direction so my stuff wouldn’t get wet as we unloaded. He also called up to our room when he noticed that my 7 year old had left a cabin light on. Small things that showed he really cared about people.

Reading a previous poster’s comments about bugs we almost canceled. I’m so glad we didn’t! Following the advice of this link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11877871 upon arrival we positively tossed the room (beds, furniture, pictures, everything!) and far from finding the implied infestation, we found ONE long-dead unidentifiable bug. Period. Wish I could say the same about my own home in the summer.

While it wouldn’t be my pick for a romantic getaway to the city, we’ll take the kids here every time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank KBuffo
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I just got back from an 8 night stay and my wife and I could not ask for anything more. The only knock on this hotel that I saw in some of the reviews prior to our stay was that the beds were hard. On the contrary, my wife and I found that the beds were extremley comfortable. In fact, our big plans to get an early start every day turned out to be a joke because we could not pry ourselves out of bed before 10am on any of the days. We did have a king room, so I cannot vouch for the doubles.

We were suprised that the rooms were normal size rooms and the A/C worked just fine. My wife and I had heard about how small NY hotel rooms typically are and how bad the A/C units are hot NY summertime. The room was great and we actually were cold most of the time and had to turn the air down. The room also had a good sized fridge and a microwave. This was great as there is a grocery store right down the street and a 24 hr CVS right across the street.

We thought the location was great. Close enough to walk to all of the action in Times Square or catch the subwy or bus to a different location, and just far enough away that you don't get all of the noise at night. If your looking for a "Trump Towers" type of experience this is not the place for you. If you want a great place to stay without going broke, this is a great option.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msmith0207
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We booked this hotel based on the fact that it had free parking, which is a huge money-saver in New York City, and it was fairly close to Times Square. Also appreciated the fact that once we parked, we kept our keys and could get our car if we needed to without waiting for a valet. Although we knew it had a pool, and a microwave and fridge in the room, we were pleasantly surprised with these features. The fridge and microwave were much appreciated for snacks and to keep cold water bottles. The pool was very nice, clean, perfect temperature, lots of chairs - very refreshing after walking around the city all day. My only wish is that it was open later in the evening - think it closed at 7 pm. The room was very nice and comfortable, VERY small bathroom, but very nice and clean. Not much of a view, but who cares, we were here to walk through the city, not look at it from our window. It was only a few blocks to Times Square, very convenient. It was very easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out was very easy and expedient. Nice supermarket right around the corner. I would definitely stay here again !

Reviewed 8 August 2010

If your accustomed to staying at five star hotels and have no objection to paying five star rates than the Travel Inn is not for you. However, if you are a thrifty traveler who is looking for a sizable clean room in a good location with amenities exceeding other hotels in this class then the Travel Inn is the best bargain in New York City. Hotel provided iron, ironing board, hair dryer, brand new refrigerator and microwave, two double beds with good mattresses, desk and easy chair. My cost was $175 per night and that included FREE parking (an additional $40 to $50 per day charge at most mid-town hotels) . This hotel provided the best rate for the accommodations of a any hotel I have stayed in the NYC in the past 10 years and I have stayed in virtually every level of hotel in mid-town. Maybe a bit more of a walk to the theatre district but the area seemed safe and clean even when returning near mid-night. Next trip to NYC I won't even bother to check for availability at any other mid-town hotel - I'll simply book direct with Travel Inn. And to those complaining about the size of the bathroom - admittedly the bathroom is small for most hotels but it was adequate for individual use and the water pressure was good and the water was always hot for morning showers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MNC1504
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Hotel room numbers 388, 387 and 380 3 other rooms as well. We had a family reunion scheduled there the weekend of July 30th.

We checked in but did not physically go to the room until after midnight. Because of the talk about bedbugs in NY we decided to check the beds. There it was in plain site under the sheet attached to the mattress cover.

I called down to manager on duty and told him there were bedbugs. He did not question it he said I could switch rooms.
TRAVEL INN HOTEL
I went to knock on another family members door (they were sleeping) to alert them. As they turned on the lights a bedbug was crawling on their sleeping daughter.

The hotel security guard confirmed to myself and husband that they have bedbugs. His exact comment to my husband was "What do you want this is NY".

Needless to say we checked right out of this disgusting hotel.

DO NOT STAY. We had to wait until morning to inform several other family members but it was too late they already had bites on their faces and bodies.

Disgusting!

4  Thank travelingmercies1
MILO928, Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Hello,
I thank you for your recent review of the Travel Inn as we take all very seriously in an effort to perfect our establishment and customer service skills of all employees. However, it gave me great displeasure to read your review of our property, especially knowing that you and your family are repeat guests and have been staying with us, without issue for many years now. We, here at the Travel Inn, treasure our repeat guests and to read the story of your recent stay was quite unbelievable to us.
I am aware of the situation as it happened and I apologize if your family was inconvenienced in any way but there are some issues with that I would like to address as they don't quite seem correct on how they occurred.
The Travel Inn has never had a review on this website or any other regarding Bed Bugs. When the guest came down at 1am to discuss the situation with the Manager, he proactively suggested that you move to another room for your convenience, soundness of mind and also so that our staff could thoroughly check the room. Our staff has been professionally trained to look for Bed bugs in the room and around the beds on a daily basis. We would rather our staff not question our guests but solve the problem immediately, especially at 1am in the morning. This doesn not mean that we acknowledge any bedbugs in the room but rather that we acknowledge that our guest at that moment was inconvenienced and uncomfortable. The guest is our main priority and we will do everything in our power to make them comfortable. Our security guard was also quoted as acknowledging that the hotel had this problem. After discussion with him, he clearly has disputed this fact.
The next day, your whold group threw a luncheon at our property that went perfectly with no complaints. I don't quite know if I would continue with an event at a hotel that I was so outraged with. There were no other complaints from any of the other rooms including the complaint on this review of the "bedbug crawling over the little girl" This was never told the the hotel during the stay which seems very peculiar.
The Hotel Manager completely refunded the rooms because of your group being so loyal over the years so I don't quite feel that we deserved this review laden with false statements of the moniker "disgusting". I don't sincerely believe that your family would return year after year to a "disgusting" hotel.
The next day, we immediately took all rooms out of order and called in a professional fumigation company specializing in this area(J B pest control) to investigate the situation in another effort to be proactive even though our Housekeeping Staff fully checked and nothing was found. We spent literally thousands of dollars on three rooms and were given a complete clean record. I am however extremely concerned abouththe fact that claims that several family member were bitten as it was never brought up at the hotel during your function or at checkout. I would completely agree to pay for any medical expenses the family may have and ask you to send any medical bills to my attention at your earliest convenience. I would have handled this during the visit but, peculiarly, we were never told of this and this review is the first time it was ever brought up. I sincerely hope that our Trip Advisor readers fully read the review and our statement to fully understand this situation. We strive to make every guest feel comfortable and at home and every action we took on this situation proves this motto.

Vincent Hardy
Director of Operations
The Travel Inn Hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We were very pleased with the ease of getting to the hotel and into the parking garage coming off the Lincoln Tunnel. Everything about the hotel is small but very clean and very affordable. Accross from the Police Station so a few early morning sirens but nothing of great annoyance. Great stay. For the money, you can't beat it. About 5 blocks to Times Square and one block from where the action begins. VERY FUN TIMES!

2  Thank Doreenc21