“quiet”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #340 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 September 2010

As a middleaged woman on a business trip. I can recommend this hotel. It is close to the Port Authority for early morning journeys, and this saved me a fortune on taxis. There is a bus stop for crossing town, just outside. It had everything I needed - large peaceful room overlooking the pool, with a fridge and microwave. It was handy for making a good healthy breakfast, and for making snacks in the evening. There were two good supermarkets, a deli, a pharmacy and an off licence just outside the hotel. There was also a Police Station across the road
The downside of my stay was that when you wanted a hot drink you had to get dressed and go to the Deli next door, and they closed at 5pm. Also the linens and towels were not up to the mark. I would advise anyone who drives to New York and wants to stay there to take a kettle or coffee maker Also if you are large, you may not be able to access the tiny bath/shower which is awkward and badly designed. There are rooms that offer a walk in shower and this could be requested at time of booking.
Room was kept very clean and the staff were exceptionally helpful, esp Mary and Michele.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,825)

Reviewed 14 September 2010

Stayed at the Travel Inn in the beginning of September for 5 nights. I was happy with the room, it was a bit old but clean and spacious. I also liked the location, by 42nd & 10th Avenue. About 10 min walk from Times Square, the area was good and I was not afraid to come back in the evenings. Also easy to reach coming to and going from Newark airport. We paid 15usd single way with the bus which took about 40 minutes. We went by http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ from Port Authority bus station, about 10 min walk to the hotel. The receptionist at the hotel told us that the bus would take close to 2 hours so they wanted to book us a shuttle for 70 usd, I guess they got commission out of that..

We used the pool in the afternoons and it was ok. The fitness center wasn't quite what I expected, a tiny room with a few weights, a tredmill and some other machines.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessie7707
Reviewed 10 September 2010

The thing which drew me to this hotel was its location, the free parking, and the pool. Having hired a car for our trip finding somewhere in Manhatten to park it for our two night visit was very important. I considered hotels out of new york purely for free parking so was very pleased when I found the Travel Inn as its on the doorstep of the action, but offers somewhere free to park your car. Parking in NYC costs $30-$40 a day so with free parking thats a huge chunk of the $140 a night room rate. The garage was via a locked shutter door with a manned booth inside. Once parked we were confident our rental car was safe.

We made good use of the pool as we were in the middle of a heatwave when we visited at the end of August with temps in the mid 90's. The opening times were disappointing, with a 10am-7pm times. My kids love swimming but we felt rushed to get back so they could have a dip before it shut. Keeping it open an hour later would have been much better. Towels were provided for pool use, which was good. The pool was cool but fine once you were in.

We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the train tracks which was disappointing as I had requested a pool view room. There is no A/C in the halls (or if there is, it doesn't work well) so walking from the lobby to room was something you did quickly.

I was also disappointed that you have to walk through the parking garage to get the lift to our side of the building (its seperated to a north and south side) Southside has a lift from the lobby but northside lifts are via the parking garage. The lift itself is slow and old and had me wondering at times if we were actually moving!

The room itself was very clean and comforable. TV with cable channels, fridge and microwave provided. Hairdryer in the bathroom, and a selection of bathroom tolietries. Would have been nice to have tea and coffee making facilities in room too.

The beds were a little hard, but fine for a night or two. No nasty things found in the bed, I was a little worried after reading a previous review but it was absolutely fine.

The A/C unit worked perfectly and kept the room nice and cool during the hot weather.

The bathroom was compact, but still managable even when showering two small children. Loved the mirror doors over the bathtub for doing hair and make up.

Even though there were a few little niggles to this hotel, the price, location and extras made up for the disappointment. The basics were all covered and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family as it ticks all the boxes, and would book here again if we ever get the chance to visit NYC again

1  Thank Junejan0407
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This place was definitely worth the money! Excellent location, walk right into times sqaure, yet away enough from all the craziness. Had no problems with parking. FREE! Awesome! Great deli located right next door with good sandwiches. No noise from the police station right across the street. The pool was very handy considering it was 94 degrees! Kept clean and towels provided. All in all very nice hotel for the money. They almost tried to get us at checkout saying we owed mmore than we did but we had our confirmation so there was no problem. Not sure what that was all about. This will prob be the hotel I stay at everytime I vist NYC!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank karima49
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Except for the extremely small TV in our room, I have no complaints about this hotel. After almost cancelling our reservation upon reading a certain review, I am glad that I didn't. Althought the hotel decor is dated, the room was very clean and the staff was great, especially housekeeping and the security guy in the parking lot. The hotel is convenient to Times Square, the subway, theaters and Restaurant Row. Because it was a very hot week, we really enjoyed the pool late in the day after touring the city. The best thing about this hotel is the FREE parking!! All this for a room rate of $140!!!! This is a great hotel for families, especially during the summer. We will definately be back!!!

1  Thank Mistorico
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We have stayed in Manhattan several times before but have never found such great value for our dollar. A fancy hotel is completely lost with us because we spend so little time in our room. I found the hotel staff to be completely friendly & professional. The location couldn't have been better. Very close to theaters,Times Square & subways. Yet far enough away to feel removed from the crowds when needed. One thing I noticed that I find rather ironic, is that being directly across the street from the police station was wonderfully quiet. In the past (at other hotels) I have been fully aware of sirens all night long. Also with a smaller sized hotel, we found ourselves in our room within a minute or two of entering the front door of the hotel. I have stayed at hotels that almost require a map to navigate our way to our room & they have also been much to long a walk after entering the building. After a long day of sight seeing, sometimes that walk is too much. The pool was great with the temperatures in New York this past weekend. Access to our car within the hotel garage throughout our stay was an added bonus as was the Free Parking ! Unheard of in NYC. The rooms were clean & the beds were more than comfortable. Having read an earlier bad review, I felt the need to express my appreciation for the value I found in this hotel.

1  Thank catbat59
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I really like this hotel .. true it's outdated in terms of decor .. and the beds are a little on the hard side ..

BUT... it has free parking, the rooms are large for NYC .. we had a microwave & fridge in the room .. the room and bathroom are super clean ... and the Air Conditioning was great .. it can be a little noisy .. we were over the train lines .. but no more or less noisy than anywhere else in NYC .. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again .. the staff were super nice to us .. and even kept the car for us until 3pm on our last day so we could carry on sightseeing after we'd checked out ..

Also has an outdoor pool that's partially covered !!!! what a bonus !

There is a great deli .. serving breakfast literally next door to the hotel .. with reasonable prices that we got coffee and bagels at every morning !!!

Great find .. book in advance is my tip we got fabulous prices when we did . $140 a night !!! such a bargin as free parking !!!

2  Thank Princessmummy