“Absolute perfection”

Ranked #103 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“Absolute perfection”
Reviewed 4 August 2007

Hands down the best hotel in NYC. I stay at the 4 Seasons, Penninsula and Regency for business and this would always be my first choice. The rooms are beautifully appointed. The pillows, linens and mattress are heaven. Front desk service is the most professional and service oriented. Room service is from Jean George Restaurant in the Hotel. One of the finest restaurants in NYC. Absolutely delicious. A great neighborhood, easy to walk to great shopping and the theatre. Try to get a one bedroom suite if you can. If not the standard rooms are lovely, all with discreet and well equipped kitchens. The bathrooms rock! Jacuzzi tubs. BOOK IT!

• Liked — The beds are heaven so are the views
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank travelerspirit7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 July 2007

I arrived at the hotel after a very long day, having left Helsinki, Finland many hours earlier. I was greeted at the taxi and escorted directly to the front desk. The lobby is calm and much smaller than I had anticipated. The staff warmly welcomed me and within moments I was on my way to an upgraded room on the top floor, an absolutely gorgeous room with more amenities than I've ever seen in a hotel in my many years of travel. My bags followed shortly and the porter gave me a tour of the room, showing me all the features. As tired as I was, I didn't want to go to sleep, luxuriating in this splendid place.

The staff was perfect: Totally professional, friendly, but never instrusive. This description fits everyone I encountered, from the front desk to the maids. As I was about to leave the room, I received a call from the hotel manager, just checking to see if I had been happy with my stay. I told him that my only problem had been an inability to get connected to the Internet. He immediately told me all charges would be reversed (and they were!).

I am totally sold on this hotel and plan to use it whenever I am back in New York.

• Liked — The professionalism and courtesy of the staff.
  • Disliked — My inability to connect with the Internet.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank max88s
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2007

Checked in for a two night stay over the first weekend of June. When we arrived, they could not find our reservation in the system. Needed another 10 minutes to pull it up. Then we were told that the we have to move after the first night since we booked through Expedia and each room is owned by a different owner. We had to move because the rates (at $800/night, mind you) were already separately paid to the two owners.

Folks, this is not your standard luxury hotel. It's more a hotel-condo where owners can put their units up for rent outside of the Trump reservation system.

The check-in fiasco aside, while clean, the rooms were mediocre. Blond wood furniture with mirrored walls and white kitchen appliances - reminded me of a fancy dorm room. Bland and in need of a stronger design vision found in many luxury hotels such as The Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons.

The health club was complimentary and staff friendly. Jean-Georges, the in-house restaurant, also looked rather dated. Choices were solid but service lacked professionalism. So many other better restaurants in the city.

Come on, Donald, time to invest some money to make this property better!

• Liked — Health Club
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Arlington703
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 20 June 2007

Spent a weekend at Trump Hotel & Tower in NYC in June. All told, I enjoyed the hotel very much. I must preface remarks with the fact that I'm a male, solo leisure traveler who's taken 60-75 trips by himself in close to 20 years. My tastes, habits, wants and needs probably aren't the same as couples, families, etc...So, keep that in mind. These reviews are supposed to be about the hotels, not the reviewer, so I'll get on with it!
All staff at this hotel are very friendly, professional and courteous. They genuinely seem to enjoy their jobs. I'm the type who carries his own bag(s) but tips porters anyway, while telling them I prefer to do things for myself . During check-in, clerk says to me, "I see where you requested some of our complimentary business cards and letterhead." I'm positive I hadn't, but I took them anyway. Was going to take them home to show family and friends (yes, I do have lots of both), who'd get a good laugh out of it. Joke was on me; my first name was wrong, not even close, like having "Bill" for a guy whose name is "Steve." So the joke was on me. But I can shrug off something like that, even if steep rate probably includes printing cost for such needless items. Then, clerk asks if I'd like a complimentary drink, help with luggage, etc...Again, a polite "no" suffices. I would have appreciated it, however, if clerk, or security man who stands at attention by elevators would have informed me that to get to rooms above 12th floor, one must insert room key into slot on elevator floor button panel. As a result, I got stuck on the 12th floor. Quick call on intercom produced explanation of how to get to 15th floor. Two days later, though, after using outstanding fitness room (all types of equipment for all parts of body, plus treadmills, Staairmasters, two-lane lap pool, towels, ice water) my key "expired" when I tried to return to room, so I had to go down to lobby and have it reformatted.
I reserved a one-bedroom executive suite. Very nice, about 700 square feet, with lots of closet space and drawers. 42-inch plasma TV in living room with DVD player, nice floor to cieling windows with city view. Room had a very comfortable sofa bed, and solid, roomy work desk, plus another comfortable chair. Coffee table with complimentary Trump Magazine, New York Magazine, Bergdorf Goodman, along with complimentary Bergdorf Goodman $50 gift card (I gave mine back to front desk, advised them to use it themselves or give it to a friend or family member) and $50 credit toward spa (as if I need a spa treatment!). When I pay a high rate to stay at a nice hotel, I do it for the larger-than-normal room and access to fine facilities (fitness room) and security advantages. Some will say, "Well, you're paying for all that other stuff, why not take advantage of it?"
On to the little kitchen area, complete with stove, microwave oven and full-sized refrigerator with its own freezer section with ice maker and trays. What's nice about this fridge is that guests can actually put their own items inside (there's plenty of extra space) without having to rearrange all the mini-bar items that already are inside. It's probably a misnomer to call this fridge a mini bar, but, in effect, it is -- part of the three-part mini bar. There's also a "Pantry" which needs a key to be opened. That's the other key that comes with your room key in the little packet when you check in. Even more mini bar things (snack foods + disposable camera, guide to New York book/marketplace, intimacy kit) are across from fridge on counter next to sink.
Bedroom is small but includes a comfortable bed, radio/CD player, and easy chair. I'd say 27 inches for the TV inside the armoire in bedroom, again with DVD player, plus VHS capability.
Bathroom smaller than those at other snazzy hotels of this name and reputation. One-basin sink, commode and deep tub with whirlpool jets). Water pressure good and hot at all times of day. A bit cramped in bathroom. Not much room for bathroom kit on counter. There is, however, a spacious cupboard directly beneath the sink, good for storage. Nice bath products (shampoo, salts, body lotion -- no mouthwash, FYI).
There also is an in-room safe (key in four-digit code to use) which is large enough to store a laptop or small briefcase.
Housekeeping/turndown service excellent and inconspicuous.
During check-in, overheard a (female) guest complaining to front desk about $10 per minute charge for long-distance call from room phone, so you might want to keep that in mind. I understand local calls are free. I just used my cell phone for all calls I had to make.
All in all, this is an outstanding hotel. It has a very calm, peaceful, serene atmosphere about it. It felt very good going back to the room at night after moving around the heat, humidity and madness that can be NYC. I will definitely go back.

• Liked — quality of room, facilities, peaceful and secure aura
  • Disliked — bathroom a little too small
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
26 Thank PittPanther
paris
Reviewed 11 June 2007

Really excellent.
Perfect service. Perfect location between Lincoln center and Carnegie Hall both within 5 min walk !

I was upgraded to a suite because of my amex package. I first get a 4th floor suite where I could hear the traffic a bit too much : despite it was a very busy time, when I complained they found a 10th floor suite for me, with far less traffic noise !

The suite was large. The furniture was excellent. The bathroom a bit small in such an hotel.

The staff really takes care of guests : they offer you chocolates, flowers, spring water for the night...

The swimming pool is unexpetedly large for NY standards

Breakfast at Jean Georges is good. The view is pleasant if you sit near the window. But the place can be noisy : I experienced it on my first day when 10 women where sitting together at a table talking...

Worth the price even if a bit expensive.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — NY noise...
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
5 Thank jlp75005
Miami
Reviewed 19 May 2007

From the moment I arrived to the moment I left the service was flawless. The doormen were to attentive and rushed to the taxi to greet me, they then escorted me to the front desk who welcomed me by name (how did they do that?) and then was escorted by Ford the bellmen to my room. Ford went above and beyond explaining all about the hotel and the amenities it offers. The room was beautiful and had a very residential feel to it making it feel more like returning home than a hotel. The view was breathtaking of the park. Within a few minutes there was a knock on the door frm room service with a wonderful coffee service amenity.
The restaurant was amazing my boyfriend and I had the tasting menu in the dining room of which every mouthful was delicate and stunning flavors.
The spa was small but had all the services needed to pamper yourself.
What really stood out about this hotel compared to other hotels I ahve stayed in is the friendly staff who make sure you never walk past them without being greated with a Goodmorning/afternoon/night. They were always on hand to help me with my large amount of shopping bags upon my return each day to the hotel.
This is a discreet first class hotel I will never stay anywhere else in New York from now on.

• Liked — Size of the room and the view also the full kitchen
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovetotravel1stclass
Jacksonville,FL
Reviewed 14 May 2007

This hotel was a i just want to try this one time thing. I reserved the Suite sunday package, one room suite for two nights. I was quoted $1800 for two nights. Valet parking cost me $135 for two days, not cheap, check in was fast. Room very nice, clean all the extras, asked for one king bed and got two queens.(may be due to checking in at 530 when the earliest check in was 3). I had ask for a good view of the park and it would have been just but it was on the 5th floor, almost tree line view, not high enought too really see anything, it was pretty but not what i wanted for $900 a night! If you want a real park view make sure you get above the 5th floor!

Other things, using the gym after hours requires signing your life away and geting down too the gym which was not too bad, great equipment, clean gym, nice pool. Breakfast, was ordered the night before(had too be on your door by 2am) and i requested it be delivered between 9am and 930am, it was there at 909apm, very nice!! Two newspapers as requested, food was layed out great and the food was GREAT! Not cheap, but for a vaction thing well worth it. I would stay there again.

• Liked — The room, ok view from the 5th floor
  • Disliked — Should have been higher up for a better view
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple