“The Waldorf Towers - Old School glamour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria - TEMPORARILY CLOSED

The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria - TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Ranked #26 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“The Waldorf Towers - Old School glamour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

A beautiful hotel and a real art deco masterpiece.

Outstanding staff - very helpful and very friendly. Breakfast in bed is recommended - they wheel in a huge table piled with delicious food, fresh coffee & orange, etc - it's like something you'd see in a '50s film!

Brilliant location, stay in the Towers rather than the main hotel for real sky scraper views.

My Mum and I stayed from 24th - 28th December 2007 and had a magical time. I would recommend to anyone. Perhaps not very child friendly, but perfect for friends or couples of any age.

Next time I would like to stay in a more contemporary hotel, but this is a real experience!

(Breakfast in the downstairs cafe, I think it is called Oscars, is a bit of a disaster though - try the brunch bars on Lexington Ave).

There is a beautiful church right next to the Waldorf with a restaurant inside, Try it for something a little different and to get away from the crowds. Delicious food & wine, great service.

Greenwich Village is a must - there's some brilliant shopping to be done (designer clothing - Marc Jacobs, Juicy, James Perse etc alongside record stores, bric a brac, etc) and it's just so pretty. Pop into one of the little restaurants - we went to Autumn and had a very unusual European meal - tasty, good wine!

Avoid Times Square like the plague, and make sure you see the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For the most delicious chinese try Chin Chins on East 49th Street

• Liked — The character of the hotel - so unusual. Also the outstanding staff
  • Disliked — The feather pillows that made me sneeze! The staff changed them all for me very quickly at 3am though!
  • Stayed December 2007
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bromley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2008

We booked for our first trip to New York with our two children and had always wanted to stay in the Waldorf. Before we booked we knew nothing of the Towers and when this was the only option available we were to be honest slightly concerned - we should not have been. We arrived for our first night to be told our room was not instantly available but were given complimentary drinks vouchers and decided to have a snack in the Peacock Alley - service was great and food, Steaks all round were superb. We arrived back to check in and were told the room was still not ready and would we mind checking in for one night into a room with the promise for an upgraded room for our three other nights. We arrived at Suite 33H, what a room - giant mirrored entrance, three bedrooms, kitchen, dining room facilities and huge sitting area - views of the Chrysler building to die for. We were told the Secretary General of the UN had stayed there while his apartment was being refurbished and could believe it - what a treat. Left in the morning and bags were moved as promised to a suite on the 29th floor - immaculate, with great views of the Citicorp building and river. Two bedrooms with sitting area (and mural) and small kitchen, plus three flat screen TVs - great. Staff were helpful and polite - an experience of a lifetime. Breakfast on the 26th floor was a treat especially with young children and we always got a table easily although this may be a problem at busier times I suppose. For us it will only be the Walfdorf Towers from now on.
Smith and Wollensky (of Devil wears Prada fame) on the doorstep and great for all red meat fans.
For all Abercrombie and Fitch fans save your money in London and go mad in New York, now have tee shirts for life.
Great Hotel in fine location.
Seems strange to say it felt safer in NYC than London !

• Liked — Rooms and Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

We have just returned from a 5 day break in New York , our first to the city but 6th to USA.
With slightly mixed reviews of the Waldorf we were open minded as to what to expect but the service we encountered was exemplary. We were travelling with our 2 teenage children (16&18) and were taken by surprise by the small beds (being doubles as opposed to queens).After very swift service from reception the on duty manager could not have been more helpful and pleasant in resolving our problem. She allowed a massive upgrade to a 2 bedroomed suite which really enhanced our stay.Continental breakfast was complimentary which was more than adequate for our needs and service staff were always friendly, obliging and ready to help.
The central location was very good for seeing quite a bit of NY on foot and when we needed to go further a field we used yellow cabs or the subway with relative ease and coupled with the sunny warm weather we had we will certainly be visiting this vibrant, interesting city again.

• Liked — spacious rooms, high ceilings
  • Disliked — some rooms beginning to look a little shabby
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

the waldorf towers what a elegant hotel it is. the tower's may be old but it's everything you expect from a grand hotel.

staff where wonderful treated you if you where royalty .

the lounge on the 26th floor was quite large mind you they had just re- opened after refurbishment on the day of our arrival alway's plenty of food and drink.

we where staying in a executive suite on the 30th floor over looking lexington av and the east river our room had a large living room with plasma television wet bar one very large bedroom bathroom with seperate bath and shower i will post pictures soon.

it was my our 25th wedding aniv i phone a couple weeks in advance and ordered a bottle of champagne on arrival but we did not get one we got two one from the ladies on reception and one from the tower's manager what afantastic gesture
the above where complement's of the hotel.

the food in oscar's and the bull and bear where as ever up to there very high standard's.

so in suming up if you are looking for old style hotel this is the one to stay in i cant wait till till our next visit from the uk

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Coral Gables, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

Let me begin by saying this trip began by us carrying our luggage into the hotel and inevitably doing the same on the way out. I booked this trip through AMEX platinum fine hotels and resorts and regret staying at the hotel. The Bellman was no where to be found when I arrived with my family on Friday, December 21, 2007 at around 3 PM. None of our three rooms were ready. Finally, when the first room was ready it was nice and spacious. When the second room was ready it was the size of a hall closet, had paint peeling from the walls, and smelled of mold. I informed them of this problem and they brought us to the next option of a room, which was small and had an overpowering smell of cigarette smoke. The Bellman told me it was a non-smoking room and that he would call for the Manager. When she arrived, she told me the hotel was completely booked and that they could put a machine inside the room to get rid of the smell of smoke. I explained to her that I was asthmatic and that this was beyond unacceptable. So, since it was paid in full, I had no choice but to keep the hall closet. Our third room was small, had an enormous amount of paint peeling from the walls, the lamps did not work, the carpets were pretty gross and desperately needed to be renovated, and the woman whom I was dealing with did not see a problem with this. She was unhelpful, rude, and promised to contact me to switch rooms when one became available, which she never did. The private elevators did not work about half of the time we were there, so in order to get to our room or the lobby, we had to take one elevator to a certain floor, switch and take another. There were huge water leaks throughout the hotel, one of which my brother reported because the hotel was not doing anything about it and that was the entrance to the Waldorf Towers. The following day there was a waterfall in the middle of the famed Peacock Alley restaurant. Below you will find a list of some of our other issues:
- Friday night we asked our private concierge to make us reservations at Nobu and they told us it was almost impossible. Same with Tao. They did not call but I did and got a reservation.
- We asked the concierge on Friday to make us reservations for brunch on Sunday at Tavern on the Green. On Sunday, we find out we do not have a reservation and because they lost my father's cell phone number and our rooms voice mail was not working, they did not leave us a message. However, I was able to call on Sunday and they gave us one.
-The heater in our room would not shut off and it was an inferno. I called the front desk, they left me on hold for literally 15 minutes and then it hung up. When I was finally able to get through, they told me maintenance would come up and never did.
-My brother went down to the Waldorf lounge or club level whatever they call it and was pouring himself a cup of coffee and one of the employees who work there came up to him, took his cup of coffee and told him they are closed and he needs to leave NOW. -We never received the welcome amenity that you get from AMEX
-All 3 room keys stopped working, Sunday morning even though we had late check out. They told us someone would be up to bring us new room keys, since the line downstairs to get new keys was very long. Security let us into our room but failed to bring us new keys
- We put several calls into the Manager, all of which were unreturned
-The hold time to place an order with room service was seriously like 20 minutes and then they delivered and incomplete order. When we called room service back, to inform them of this, they put us on hold for another 10 minutes, and the missing food did not arrive for another 45. Among that was milk for the baby.
-On Saturday night at around 10:15 we asked the front desk for recommendations as to where we could get appetizers and drinks, and after speaking to 4 people from the hotel staff, we took a cab to a closed restaurant as per their sole recommendation.
-Also, apparently fire alarms were going off on Friday and my parents went down like 30 flights of stairs but it did not go off in the wing I was in.
- Complimentary breakfast in the Waldorf Lounge was full, so they gave us buffet vouchers to go down to a specific restaurant in the hotel, which would normally be fine, except that there was a 30 minute wait. So we left.
- My last point I will make was when we were checking out, we had all of the bags in the dressing area, and the bellhop accidentally left one. We only found out because someone used the restroom right before we were leaving and noticed, after the bellhop had left. When our driver called, the bellhop then moved our bags 10 feet to the front of the Waldorf Towers entrance. Our driver was in front of the Waldorf and I needed someone to explain to him how to get to the side street, and no one would help us. I asked the bellhop to help me and said he would and then a suburban pulled up and he began unloading those bags. This went on for about 15 minutes. The weather was getting bad outside and we were afraid we were going to miss our flight, so I kept asking the bellhop who used to be helping us to please speak to my driver or if he could find me someone who could. He told me he would when he was done taking all of the bags upstairs! I informed him again that we were there first, had a flight to catch, and that my driver was lost in front of the hotel and he simply said no matter what he does someone will be upset. Meanwhile, my brother went to try to get one of the managers but she told him, she was busy and he needed to wait. In the end, forty-five minutes after our scheduled pick-up time we took a bellhop cart half way down the block, to where my driver was and my brothers unloaded our luggage into the car, in the rain with the driver and we almost missed our flight. This is clearly not a 5 or 4 star hotel. This would never happen at the Ritz, St. Regis, and the Four Seasons all of which we've stayed at in NYC. I am still trying to fathom how we experienced all of this and more. If you are considering staying here, I highly recommend you seek other accommodations because I have to say this was easily one of worst hotels I have ever stayed at and we are all well traveled.

• Liked — The candles in the Waldorf Towers entrance, they smelled good
  • Disliked — The rude staff, the hotel condition, the slow service, the unattentive bellman, the missing bellman, the concierge at the Waldorf Towers and their inability to make reservations or inform people that they were unable to do so, the incompetent room service, etc
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank PrincessSC
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

We stayed in a luxury suite in the Towers and were very pleased. My hubby has stayed in both the Waldorf and the Towers, and prefers the Towers, hands down. We were mistakenly booked at the Waldorf, but the receptionist worked quite hard to fit us into the Towers. Very nice effort on her part and much appreciated on an extremely busy December weekend! The suite was in excellent condition. Very large rooms with beautiful crown molding, marble foyer and bathroom. It is furnished very traditionally. If you prefer a contemporary look, this hotel is not for you! We had only one problem with the thermostat (we couldn't get it to turn on), and they sent maintenance up right away and followed up with a phone call. Nice touch. The small lobby is beautiful and private. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those looking for a quiet, lovely retreat in NYC.

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank homefree
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

Owner Hilton Corp. should be ashamed at how this historic property is maintained.

The Waldorff Towers used to be a residential apartment, and it is now billed as the private, premier section of the Waldorff Astoria Hotel. It is supposed to have superlative service, and they charge a premium to stay here.

I booked a room through AMEX for approx. $800/night, and was upgraded to a suite-- 33f-- through AMEX platinum.

There is a private entrance for guests of the "Towers" on 50th Street, around the corner from the busy main entrance. While this is a good concept, they do not appear to have a doorman stationed full time at this entrance to greet those needing to drop luggage and leave their vehicle with the valet. So, I had to venture around the corner on my own to the main entrance to locate a doorman who could help me with my lugage and valet park the car. This is unaccepetable for a supposed first class hotel which touts the supposed personalized service on the Tower side.

Next-- the suite. Substandard condition. Again, not what you would expect for a hotel in this price point. For example--

1. Paint peeling in the ceiling of the shower, literally hanging down, ready to fall on one's head.

2. Peeling and dirty wall paper throughout.

3. The whole place felt shabby, tired and somewhat unclean, especially the bathrooms.

4. Cheap plastic/vinyl roll up window shades.

5. Floor lamp did not work properly-- had to be unplugged to shut off. And, one ceiling light in the suit had the opposite problem-- itcould not be turned off.

The whole place felt somewhat drab and down-market.

The thing is-- the place has so much potential. Good location. Famous name. Rooms are spacious with nice architectural details, and some nice early century furnishings which would be welcomed if the suite as a whole we better maintained. Evidently, Hilton is happy enough to trade on name and the former glory of the property and maximize its profits. Many better choices in NYC at this price point.

Stayed December 2007