All reviews upper east side madison avenue central park sinai hospital museum mile cooper hewitt rooftop terrace new york hour coffee free coffee and tea boutique hotel king suite sitting area front desk staff great boutique bed was comfortable large bathroom
Reviewed 1 October 2018

The good:
Located close to Central Park in the beautiful upper Eastside.
Beds were very comfortable.
Room was clean and quiet.
About an 8 minute walk to the subway on 86th and 12 minutes to 96th and Lexington.
Two minute walk to bus heading downtown or uptown.
Neighbourhood felt very safe.
Two little grocery stores close by.

The not so good:
Desk staff were not very friendly. Many wouldn’t look up as you entered the hotel, or exited for the day.
Television in main bedroom only had about five channels working. When this was reported, the lady at the desk said there are only five channels. But, the TV in the living room had over 30 channels and the hotel’s own TV guide suggested we certainly should have had more than five channels.
Our room keys often needed more that 30 attempts to get door open. We notified desk staff ... nothing was done.
Bathroom door could not be closed withot making a lot of noise.
Little cupboard space for a room with two doubles and a double sofa bed.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2018

Good Morning Marnie,

I want to thank you for the overview from your recent stay with us. It is important for us to hear from our guests so we can share your feedback with our hotel team and use them for improving services and the hotel for our guests.

It was nice to see that you loved our great location and our clean and spacious suites during your stay. I do want to apologize that you had some issues with the TV in the bedroom and the door to the bathroom. Mist importantly, your comments on our front office team is not what we typically would hear as they are always outgoing and helpful and I assure you I will share this with our staff to insure we provide the excellent customer service and follow up we are well known for which is our goal.

Please reach out to me next time you are looking to return to our area so I can personally assist you with your arrangements and guarantee an error free and pleasant stay.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

All the staff at the hotel were very helpful. However, the condition of our hotel room was very disappointing. One of the first things we had to do was call maintenance to re-attach a plug to the wall, which was dangerous as the wires were exposed, particularly as we were staying there with our children. The hotel interior from above the mezzanine level upwards is very dated and in need of a good clean (stained hallway carpets and a persistent smell of dampness). Our room was dusty and dirty. Would certainly not stay there again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Good Afternoon Connie,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback on your rcent stay with us with your family. We do appreciate hearing from yu as we always want to improve our services especially when we do not come through for all of our guests which is very rare.

I do want to thank you for the very nice comments about our hotel team and how they provided you the excellent service we are so well known for which is foremost. I also want to say I and my team are sorry for your comments reagrding the plug issue you had in your suite as well as the cleanliness items you mentioned. We are always well known for our clean hotel and we have just finished many upgrades such as all new beds, lamps and carpet in every room and suite as well as all brand new carpet on all the geust floors as well.

Either way, we want you to be happy for choosing the Hotel Wales so I would like you to reach out to me so I can offer you some complimentary upgrades and amenities on your next visit to our hotel and neighborhood.

We all do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you once again.

Reviewed 28 September 2018

My wife had an early morning Docotor's appointment at Mount Sinai Hospital located on the upper east side of New York City on Madison Ave.. The fine folks at the Hospital told us about this Hotel as it is just a short taxi ride (or a 10 block walk) from the Hospital. The Hotel also offers a good discount if you share with them that you are in town for a Hospital appointment.

We reserved a small suite and were very comfortable. While small by most standards, the Suite was adequate, well appointed with a kind size bed, great water pressure and an old-world charm. We did take a peek at the regular rooms and I want to just share with you that they are really small.

The Staff could not have been more helpful and were truly there to make our stay as pleasant as possible. On the second floor of the Hotel, there is a large lounge where customers can "hang out" in comfortable sofas and chairs and enjoy free coffee and tea all day long.

The "bonus" to this Hotel is that it adjoins the famous Sarabeth restaurant! You do not even have to go outside.....just enter Sarabeth's from a door in the Hotel's Lobby area. We had lunch at Sarabeth's and enjoyed the experience.

If you are looking for an option to the big hotel chains, try The Hotel Wales. You will be glad that you did!

Room Tip: Choose a Small Suite - it is worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Good Afternoon Jim,

Thank you so very much for the terrific comments and 4 out of 5 Star rating from your recent visit with us. I was so happy to read your feedback and we are glad you are sharing it with our future guests and we are doing the same with our hotel team.

It was so nice to see you enjoyed your suite accommodations and that we were so close to Mt. Sinai Hospital where you needed to be and whom we work so closely with for guests that need to stay somewhere close by. We were happy that you loved our great location and that our hotel team provided you the outstanding cusotmer service that we are recognized for all the time by our guests. IN addition, we also we glad you liked our Carnegie Lounge and our 24 hour coffee/ tea service as well as the well known Sarabeth's just off our main lobby.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in our Upper East Side neighborhood.

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

I liked this place a lot. A gem in the big city. I was here one night. Great bed and check out the great juice bar opposite. Fabulous location. Staff friendly and lots to do around the hotel. Has a old word charm.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Good Morning Pete1956,

I want to thank you for the wonderful review and 5 Star rating from your recent visit with us. We were so happy to read your feedback and we are glad you are sharing it with our future guests and we are doing the same with our hotel team.

My hotel team and I were so glad to see that you loved our "Old World Charm" hotel with our great location and friendly staff as you pointed out. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Enjoy the City from this peaceful quaint uptown neighborhood. Hotel Wales is a gem of a little hotel. You’ll feel at home upon check in with the friendly staff, and well appointed and intimate spaces.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

Good Morning Mr. Wood,

What a wonderful review to wake up to this morning and thank you for the great comments and 5 Star rating from your recent visit with us. We were so happy to read your feedback and we are glad you are sharing it with our future guests and we are doing the same with our hotel team.

We were excited to see you enjoyed our "Old World Gem" hotel and great location here on the UES. It is always so nice to read that our hotel team has provided you the excellent customer service we are so well known for which is always our top priority.