“mid-town charm”
Review of The Lucerne Hotel

The Lucerne Hotel
Ranked #138 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Nice clean room with 2 windows on the 11th floor (pic 1). It was good sized for a single traveler, although the bathroom will be cramped for 2. I found the 4pm check in time not very helpful since I had a early afternoon meeting in uptown, so I had no chance to refresh from the plane trip. When I got in the room the TV did not turn on. Good coffee machine (k-cups)! So I had to call down and they sent someone to “fix it”. After I called down, the doorman was fast at flagging a taxi and having it ready for me when I got down!!! All in all, this place had the mid-town charm and so I liked this little place.

1  Thank I_am_reviewing_you
Write a ReviewReviews (2,470)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here the night before a big meeting and the staff was very accommodating, even when I arrived around midnight to check in. The lobby is small but functional, and there is a concierge which is helpful. My room was a 'queen superior' which had 2 beds, a desk, TV, a closet with ironing board, safe, hangers, and a nice bathroom with a full tub, lots of free shampoos and soaps, and plenty of towels. Good water pressure in the shower. The free wifi internet wasn't working for me, but I didn't follow up with the front desk so it was probably just a glitch.

They allow pets, which worried me, but other than hearing some dogs jingling down the hallway I didn't hear any other barking or room noise from my neighbors. The hotel is in a great location, just down the street from the #1 subway line, and the doormen were very helpful with directions. Plus they held my bag for most of the day since my flight was not until the evening.

Overall, a very pleasant stay - I just wish I could have been there longer because the room was so comfortable!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

was in nyc to attend a wedding in soho; had not heard of this hotel; someone who lived on the west side told me of the convenience; nice hotel; room was comfortable; reception staff and doorman helpful; did not use concierge
would stay there again. walked to park on westend avenue; great river views; walked to the lincoln center. zabar's around the corner; found a great foot massage on 80th newyouagain; a fun weekend especially with great weather; $15 cab ride to soho

Room Tip: not sure, but check out hotel website
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jbsixtyfive
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here for several nights in March. First impressions weren't great. I arrived at the hotel at 2.30pm, and was told by the unsmiling receptionist to 'go away and come back later' as check in wasn't until 4pm. This is frankly ridiculous and I have never encountered this policy at any other hotel I've stayed at, nor such an unhelpful reception. I had just arrived from another time zone where I had woken up at 4.30am to catch a 7 hour flight. I was exhausted and desperate to have a shower and freshen up. I explained this to the receptionist and asked if perhaps there was a free room where I could use the bathroom to do this until my room was available? The receptionist told me there wasn't and proceeded to ignore me. I then asked if I could use the lobby restroom (you'd think she might have suggested this herself). The receptionist handed me a key card and gestured vaguely behind her while looking down at the desk. I struggled to open the door for a few minutes and in the end a passing maintenance person took pity and got it open for me. My feelings on this check-in policy are that the hotel should make it very clear to its guests when they book and that they should also have provisions in place to accommodate weary travellers - for example the hotel lobby is miniscule and there are no newspapers etc. so you can't (and obviously aren't encouraged) to hang around and wait there. The room itself was clean and tidy - the standard of cleanliness was excellent throughout the hotel. I have given two points for the fitness center and free wi-fi, which are major plusses. Other than the woman who checked me in, the other members of reception that I encountered were all courteous. Were it just a case of the initial absence of customer service and unreasonable check-in policy then I would have given a higher score but unfortunately the hotel has a MAJOR, and in my opinion, fatal, flaw. It is unbearably NOISY. The walls in the rooms are incredibly thin and there is a large gap between the door and the door frame with the result that all noise, no matter how innocuous, penetrates the room and makes it impossible to sleep. Each night I heard the plumbing in the room above me (like a jackhammer), the television in the room next door, and the conversations and doors slamming of all the guests walking past in the corridor. It actually felt like they were IN my room. I could even hear the constant ding of the elevator even though it was right down the hall. I was periodically woken up throughout the entire night by all of this and then again by housekeeping first thing in the morning as they made their rounds. It wasn't that people were being overly loud - in a well-insulated hotel you wouldn't hear them. My colleagues were all staying in other rooms on different floors and they had the same problem - one of them asked to be moved to an empty part of the hotel. Having read all the reviews here, it is clear that many other visitors have also experienced this and I can't believe the hotel hasn't done something about it, as I imagine they field a lot of complaints. The whole point of a hotel is to provide a good night's sleep, so although the Lucerne has a great location, the rooms are nice and the wi-fi and fitness center are great, I can't possibly recommend it.

3  Thank Angelica K
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate my birthday. The staff could not have been more professional and courteous. The weekend rate was reasonable. Our room was clean and well appointed. There is also a very good French restaurant, Nice Matin, located off the lobby. The upper west side location was perfect as we spent a bulk of time in Central Park which is a short walk away.
Con: wish they offered complimentary WI-Fi in the rooms and a common computer to use for guests.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here in April '08 with my best friend who was visiting NY for the first time. We were originally booked at another place, but when we went to the room, we decided it would be best to cancel and try our luck elsewhere. So we walked around for a couple of blocks and happened upon the Lucerne which was right on the corner. We walked in and were immediately impressed by the old world charm and grandeur of the place. After the initial impression we were almost ready to walked out since we thought there was no way we would be able to afford staying here. I convinced my friend we should at least ask just to gauge what we could expect at other places nearby. It turned out not only was it reasonable ($100 more a night than we were originally going to pay) but they had a room ready right away.

So we decided to stay for a couple of nights and bite the bullet a little for living it up. The room was very luxurious and came with 2 plush full size beds. The beds had tons of soft pillows and relaxing linens. What a bathroom! Very extravagant and again luxurious with great toiletries that we used up every day just to get a new batch the next day. There was a nice big wooden table with leather chair. A flat screen TV was mounted atop the wooden TV console. I would consider all the furnishings as classy and not necessarily contemporary in style. Definitely had a nice European-style feel to it. We thoroughly enjoyed being close to many great places to eat and being able to walk through Central Park.

If could get the same or better price again, would definitely stay here for next trip to NY.

Room Tip: Like most places in NY, the top floors are best.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

So it's not entirely the hotel's fault that our NYC trip was sunk...but it all started with the fact that they wouldn't let us into our room when we arrived at 1:30pm after a four hour drive. Or when we came back at 3:30pm because they told us a room would be ready then. Or when we came back at 4pm because how on earth could a room not be ready by then. So with my exhausted 3-year-old, we basically napped on the sofa in the lobby until 4:30pm, when they finally let us in, having now 30 mintues to get ready before we had to leave. So if your trip hinges on the importance of getting a kid's afternoon nap in, think twice.
The room was nice, kind of small (but not for NYC), good water pressure in the shower. Turns out it was useful having a 24-hour pharmacy across the street, because at 3am my son was sick, having been outside all afternoon and missing a nap. Then there were the drunk guys screaming in the hall an hour later....followed by the cops.
So overall, it's a perfectly nice hotel, but I absolutely guarantee I won't go near it again. Again, the hotel can't be blamed for the sick kid, the drunk guys, etc...but not having guest rooms ready until 4:30pm is unacceptable in my book.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family