“Wonderful hotel-excellent staff”

Ranked #120 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Edgewood, Kentucky
“Wonderful hotel-excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have stayed at the Lucerne several times and each experience has been an extremely positive one. Location is perfect, the staff is friendly and eager to assist, the rooms are lovely and very clean. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brenda F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had some trepidations about the location but could not ignore all the positive comments and price. Glad we booked the Lucerne and with subway stops one block and another two and a half block it was easy to get anywhere. A 24 hour drug store across the street and some very nice restaurants within easy walking distance. We will definitely book here again.

1 Thank Cameron L
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

spent 5 night
nice and quite
safe neighborhood
close to Central Park and subways
rooms where very clean very large
beds where extremely comfortable
lots of great restaurants in the area and shopping
I would highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.
My aunt say the restaurant excellent. Not sure if they have room service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank abercrombie1
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed there for a week in July and enjoyed it thoroughly. The location is perfect, walking distance to many attractions and the subway. The room we stayed in was beautiful, large by New York standards and very comfortable, and the staff was excellent for anything we needed. Would highly recommend and would definitely stay there in the future.

2 Thank GavinF
Ratoath, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Spent a week here in July. Since we arrived early, we got the first large room available (4 of us), but they had no problem changing us to a different room (higher floor) the following day when one became availalable for no cost. They even moved our bags. From the 8th floor we had a great view right out to the Hudson. Wifi was good which kept the kids happy. The rooms were very clean and tidy, but the lift was a little small. The location is perfect, just one block from the subway and the Museam. We did not eat in the attached restaurant, but did enjoy some of the other restaurants just around the corner. Overall very happy with the stay.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
Potomac, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

WARNING-Cockroachs, horrible smell throughout the hotel, no real on-sight 24 hour room service, does NOT provide secure wifi connection for free. My advise is to stay away. We arrived at the hotel around 1:15 am. At around 6:15, we found roaches in our room. I contacted the front desk to ask for a room change, because there were roaches in our room. I was told that there would not be a manager on duty for another two hours. That was the first hmmmmm moment. Then, a non-English speaking housekeeper was sent to my room. I am not at all sure why they sent him. He had no idea what I was saying, nor did he have the authority to change our room. Hmmmmm moment number 2. I immediately called back down to find out what was the purpose of send a non-English speaking housekeeper when we needed a room change because of having roaches in our room. Lo and behold, the person I spoke to claimed to be the manager, who was the most obnoxious, unprofessional individual I have ever encountered. Keep in mind that this is into 55 minutes after my initial call for a room change. This "manager" started yelling at me as if I had done something wrong by complaining about roaches in the room, stating that he had other people who needed to be checked in; and, therefore indicating to me that my situation was not a priority. He was screaming at me with such force, I started screaming back. At that point, he threaten to call the police on me for yelling at him, and told me that I would have to leave the premises. After hanging up, and while in the process of packing, this insane "manager" knocked on my door, and disrespectfully reiterated that he would not tolerate being yelled at, and that he was calling the police. When I asked why he had this attitude with me when it was his establishment that had the roaches, he screamed at the top of his lungs, "GET OUT NOT. I AM CALLING THE POLICE." When the police arrived, they asked what happened, I explained, and the said they would have left...especially seeing the picture and video of the huge cockroach. Now, here's the kicker. I was BILLED over $460 for a 6 hours stay, in a hotel that had cockroaches, that asked me to leave, because...well, for no justifiable reason. Here's the thing with that. I booked a deal, and my cost was $533 for two nights. Hmmmmmm number 3. I am a handicapped female, and in no way threatening. Another issue. THERE IS NO 24 HOUR ON SITE ROOM SERVICE. As a matter of fact, they have a connection to a restaurant that is about 25-30 blocks away. I called and gave my order. When I finished, the guy asked for my address. Well, I thought it odd he didn't know it, so I gave him my room number...thinking he was in-house. He then said, "No, I need your physical address." So, I asked if this was room service for the Lucerne Hotel. He then stated that he only delivers to the Lucerne. He was not physically located in the hotel. When I got my food it was tasteless and cold. The restaurant then attempted to charge a room service fee - something they would not charge if they delivered to your home. It is close to downtown, but so are many other fantastic hotels. This place is definitely NOT worth the money. I am used to staying at places like the Sofitiel, Fairmont, Hilton, etc. This joint is not in their class.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
18 Thank bytheby2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

As the other reviews said, this hotel has it all - a great location with nice, spacious, and clean rooms. This will be our hotel of choice whenever we are staying in the city. It is nice to get away from the craziness of times square and come "home" to The Lucerne.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have less street noise, but we have stayed on different floors and haven't ever...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
NewYorkHotel, General Manager at The Lucerne Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. My staff and I like to think of The Lucerne as a home away from home, and we're thrilled that this translated so well to you. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to New York.