“Great Hotel”

Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights at the start of March. We would definitely stay here again, for our first time in NYC we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. I was initially worried at how far out of the centre of NYC it is however the subway is a 2 minute walk away for the 1 line which will pretty much get you anywhere further north/south in the city. The lifts in the hotel are a little slow as one was out of order but as we were only on the 5th floor we didn't mind too much. The lobby reminded us of the Malmaison hotels in the UK with it's quirky but comfortable feel. We booked room only and had a continental style b/fast from the lobby bar each day which was around $10 for coffee, pastry and orange juice. We had our first evening meal in Serafina and can not complain, the food tasted good although I thought it was a little pricey. Lots of locals eat in there which I guess is a good sign.The bed in this hotel was the best we have ever slept in and we would have brought it back with us if we could!! All the staff were great without exception. The only thing I would improve on apart from the lifts would be to have free wifi in the rooms as $15 per day is excessive and feels especially annoying when you can see that other hotels in the vicinity have free internet when u search for networks. Make sure you visit the Westside Market across the street it has to be seen to be believed! Special thanks to Julie our room attendant who was great :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsmoonpig
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear mrsmoonpig,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Eugenia Simons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Had tickets to a show at the Beacon Theater which is four blocks away. Immaculate room with windows that actually open (!). The bathroom was beautiful. Bed and bedding top notch. Plenty of storage and I loved the hardwood floor -- it just seemed cleaner than nasty hotel rug. Will definitely stay here again. Close to most UWS attractions and in a very hopping neighborhood. The Chirping Chicken, a block away on Amsterdam, was perfect for a late-night nosh. Breakfast at Serafina (in the lobby) was excellent. Keurig coffee maker in the room and a couple of free bottled waters was a nice touch.

Room Tip: We had an "inner" room in the back. Our view was of a brick wall but it was very quiet and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear eddie0t,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay.Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, the product and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed the services at Serafina and considering to return to NYLO NYC! The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Nice hotel: clean, friendly/helpful staff, trendy bar, and not terribly expensive. Stayed here for 2 nights while looking for apartments in the city and was quite pleased. Beds were comfy, bathroom was clean, and an overall good experience. It does look a little like an upscale hostel with the locker nightstands, but I didn't mind it (european hostel, mind you, I have less faith that a hostel in the US would look like this...). But anyway! I would recommend, if you're looking for a good area/convenient location on the UWS, easy access to transportation and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Casey A,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments wile be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

I am pleased to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here many times and the staff always go beyond the expected to provide service or provide information. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. On our last visit, my husband left an item behind and two days later we received a call that it was found.
The location is convenient, but quiet.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicki M
Dear Vicki M,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Park City, Utah
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at NYLO for a long weekend, seeing the Allman Brothers Band twice at the Beacon. What a find! Clean, comfortable, and quiet rooms (we spent a little more to get a room on an upper floor). Modern, spacious, clean bathroom, although the toilet paper holder was strange (vertically oriented?). A fabulous location, two blocks from the Beacon and an easy walk to the subway, a ton of great restaurants, and even to Lincoln Center. The lobby is comfortable and inviting, the staff was fabulous, from Nick at the front desk to every member of the bell and housekeeping staff we encountered. A good-sized room for Manhattan, and the price wasn't too painful either. We will be back (although rumor has it that the Allman Brothers Band will not).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear zuckmeister,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff especially regarding Nick. Your comments will be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 March 2014

As an ex-upper westsider, I have never been so happy to find not only a hip, trendy hotel in the area but one that goes way beyond the expected. A great spot for my future girls weekends for sure but this last trip was for my daughter's 10th bday. The service was amazing from the moment we walked in. Adults and children were wow'd with the architecture and serious "cool factor," this first impression was only made better by the wonderful NYLO cocktail the adults were handed. After a long day and one travelling with children, I almost cried with gratitude upon that tray-passed delight. Quickly checked in and off to our room - we found the most beautifully, chic and perfectly minimalist rooms. Plenty of seating, hard-wood floors and nooks and crannies fitting all items including our suitcases perfectly rolled under what appeared to be a destined location. The lobby bar was a great meeting spot for friends, great little event spaces and a fun, happening scene at night. I honestly have nothing else to say but, I can't wait to book my next trip. Sans kids so we can enjoy the evening hours. Highly recommend NYLO Manhattan.

Room Tip: I would but then I would never get the room I want. Sorry!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kMoFinds
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear kMoFinds,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great renovated hotel on the Upper Westside of NYC. Around the corner from the Beacon Theater. Great shopping and restaurants all right outside the door. Also walking distance to Museum of Natural History and Lincoln Center. I'm so glad I found this for my recent trip into the city. I used to live around the corner from this hotel when it was On The Ave. The renovations they made really brought new life into it. Stepping into the lobby, you feel like you are in a downtown location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Carman310,

Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and location. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am happy to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!