“Excellent hotel in an excellent location”
Review of NYLO New York City

NYLO New York City
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Linden, California, United States
“Excellent hotel in an excellent location”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at the NYLO for a week (end of June through beginning of July 2014) for work. The desk staff and guys at the door (Jessie, Roberto) were very accomodating and helpful. My room was clean and quiet with nice corner windows. The bed was super comfortable and I had free wifi in my room. In the lobby there is a bar, living room area with computers, another area with couches and chairs for watching the World Cup! People were always hanging out down there relaxing and visiting. The best thing for me was the location, 2 blocks from the subway station and 3 blocks from Central Park on the upper west side. I was a woman traveling alone and always felt safe. There is a CVS right across the way, Westside market across the street and down just a bit. Tons of cafes, stores, etc. just a short walk away and the 1 line subway. They'll store your luggage if you have a late flight as I did. I'll definitely stay at the NYLO again when I return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Perfect for the young & young at heart (I am 70). Staff were sincerely friendly, helpful. Amenities filled all my needs. Room 803 was the quietest I've ever had in NYC. Mattress comfortable, everything was clean. Room was small but adequate (could walk around bed, no room for easy chair). Decor is clean-cut, walls slightly too dark for the environment, but room is cheerful enough. A/c worked, fan was a bit noisy; windows can be opened if you prefer real air. Only negatives: Rock music in lobby is too loud. Receptionist at arrival needs to improve - tried to serve another guest when it was my turn. Overall a positive experience & I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 803 is quiet, fine for solo traveler, bit small but adequate for two
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We found the location convenient to markets for grabbing quick meals at all hours of the day. The staff was very helpful (umbrellas, opening doors and helping with just about anything). The lobby and rooms have a comfortable, hip vibe. The floors in the rooms are a laminate grey hardwood and it was easy to see the floors and corners were clean. I liked being able to walk barefoot on the floors and know they are clean. I do not do go barefoot in a carpeted hotel room. Thermostat kept the room nice and cool (it is July!). Keurig coffee maker in the room is nice. The mattresses were the type that do not jiggle when your spouse moves or gets in/out of bed. (Reminded me of the ads for a mattress where they put a glass of water on the mattress and had someone get in/out of the bed and the glass didn't spill.) Very comfortable mattresses with clean white linens. The hotel is near the fire department, but the sirens never woke me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Bluffton,SC
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was attending an institute at Columbia University for Teachers and this was the perfect place to stay. I was there for 11 nights. The lobby atmosphere has a very warm and inviting atmosphere. It's like a home away from home. The room was spacious and any request I had was honored. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. It is in an excellent location with a subway close by. Its walking distance to several shops, restaurants, Central Park, and museums. It was in a clean and relatively quiet area of the city. I would definitely stay there again when I go back to New York.

Room Tip: If you would like a view ask for one. My room faced Broadway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. Very, very comfy beds! Decor of public areas and the rooms is cool and hip. Very helpful staff as well. Enjoyed the fact that this wasn't the most expensive hotel, but we felt like it was well worth the money. Close to subway and museums too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Savannah, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is excellent. It is located in a very clean area with convenient access to the subway. Lots of great shops, restaurants, and museums within walking distance. It has a very chic modern atmosphere. The rooms were not big, but had everything I needed.When traveling to New York it will be the first place I check.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here 4 nights in April. This was our first stay at the NYLO; we found it online as we were searching for something in that part of the City. Turned out to be a perfect location for us: walking distance to many museums and to Central Park, close to a crosstown bus, and even closer to the subway downtown. All the rooms in the hotel have been completely updated and renovated and they've done a nice job. Our room was comfortable, clean and pleasant. The only down side was the mattress on the bed. It was way too soft for us -- an uncomfortable sleep. I mentioned it in the evaluation they sent after our stay. I got a reply from the manager explaining all the mattresses are the same--made especially for the NYLO. Wanting us to stay there again when we return to NYC, he told me to let them know ahead of time and they will put a board under the mattress for us. Now that would be something if they really did that, wouldn't it? I have a feeling we'll take him up on that offer. ;-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pigeon33
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear pigeon33,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and enjoyed the hotel overall. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services and product. Your comments will be passed onto our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

As you already discussed with one of our front office managers, please notify us in advance when you decide to return so that we may accomodate you with a firmer bed to ensure comfortability throughout your stay.

The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,