“Great hotel!”

NYLO New York City
Ranked #176 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Spent Labour Day weekend at the NYLO with my husband and it was great! The staff was very helpful and accommodating with getting us a fridge and moving our room when we mentioned a very loud air conditioner fan. I will stay here again in a heartbeat! It was really nice to get away from the noise and hustle of Midtown and escape to the Upper West Side.

Room Tip: The top 3 floors have lovely terraces
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-NYLO-NYC01, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Yvonne T,

Thank you so much for your 5 star rating on Trip Advisor! It pleases me that you were able to fully enjoy the benefits of our neighborhood here on the Upper West Side!

Thank you so much for the comments about our staff, they are very appreciative of the recognotion!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

All The Best,

Mark Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Bentley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I booked 5 nights at the NYLO hotel in Manhattan's upper west side to celebrate my hubby's 50th birthday. We booked a lifestyle loft which was on the top floor and had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the city and the Hudson river. The room was a typical hotel size for most places but for New York I understand it was very large. The bathroom was very tiny but functional. The hotel itself is in a great neighborhood. Central Park and the Museum of Natural History are only 3 blocks away. 2 blocks to the subway. Lots of great restaurants and coffee houses close by. We tried Serafina the first night and it was so fresh and delicious. Probably the best ravioli I've ever had. My husband loved his lasagna. We even walked to Times Square one day and it only took about 40 mins, one way. We did use the hotel's outdoor patio one night as well and it's also very nice. I will definitely book ourselves into NYLO the next time we are in New York.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-NYLO-NYC01, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Hippothekid,

Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review! It pleases me to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your trip to New York overall!

The walk to Times Square is just about 40 minutes long (one way), but is always well worth it in the end when factoring in how much you discover on the way there (and back).

Happy 50th Birthday to your husband! I hope your time here was a memorable one, and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you and your husband are in the city!

Best Wishes,

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very small compared to most in the Midwest and South. Great location for good restaurants, Central Park and travel downtown. Nice lobby area for bar and relaxing. We had one issue with our sink not draining that we mentioned to staff. It was not resolved during our stay. We would stay there again. We didn't take the kids this time, but very close to a public playground.

Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall! However, I truly apologize for the experience you had with the sink not properly draining.

Please be assured that I have notified our Engineering team, so that they can be better prepared to fix the issue, before a guest arrives.

I look forward to welcoming you, and your family back in the future!

Best Wishes,

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed at NYLO New York City for 5 nights, being in town for a wedding and a short vacation. It is one of those "hip and cool" boutique-type hotels that a lot of places aspire to be of late. This hotel pulls it off beautifully. The rooms are comfortable, clean and unique and the staff is delightful from housekeeping to front desk to concierge. There is plenty of shopping and sightseeing in the immediate area (Central Park is 3 blocks away!) and the staff is only too willing to be helpful in pointing one the direction their heart's desires! We will be back, no question.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jkap52,

Thank you for sharing such a delightful review with us! It makes me so happy to read of your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you back here again soon!!

Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

It is my hotel of choice in NYC when I am wanting close proximity to the Upper Westside. NYLO is convenient to the subway and in a great neighborhood. I love the hotel for it's "upscale, yet inviting feel" The bar service is good and has great entertainment. The beds are very comfortable and rooms well appointed. The king standard is too small for a roll-away and fine for short stays, but the King Deluxe is spacious enough to move around in with a larger bathroom. I have always found the front desk and service courteous and efficient. My only complaint is the WiFi. In room it is expensive and not as reliable as it could be. Overall, I love this hotel and will stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Higher floors and rooms facing the side street instead of Broadway have less noise. The deluxe King...
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
GM-NYLO-NYC01, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Sandra D,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am so happy that you have chosen us to be your home away from home, and that you enjoy our great location, comfortable beds and spacious rooms. I do apologize for the wi-fi and we are currently working on making this less painful. We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

For me, the true test of great customer service is how an organization handles a problem. When I contacted NYLO about an erroneous credit card charge, I was responded to immediately and professionally. Throughout my stay, staff were friendly, courteous, and helpful. The room was great, very clean, and the location was excellent. I would love to return!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear TRichards19,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Reading your review makes me so proud to be a part of such an amazing team. I am so happy that we were able to turn around a bad situation. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Concord, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I have stayed here a couple of dozen times over the past six years, and have seen all the changes/renovations along the way. Some of it is good, some not so. Overall, I give it a qualified strong rating - if you know what rooms to ask for and catch a good rate. Otherwise, you could end up overpaying for a cave.

I use them for business about 4 times per year, usually 2-3 nights per stay.

Reservations - very much mixed. Up until two years ago, they were great. Reservations were very helpful - made it easy to change things around and were flexible on room-upgrades given my business travel frequency. That all changed at some point, and now the reservations group is rather unhelpful. Best luck has been navigating their internet and email promotions. No flexibility whatsoever from the reservations desk, and no willingness to work with business travelers

Rooms - if you get a good room, they are excellent. Clean design, good layout for NYC, and relatively good privacy. Balcony rooms are great, and if you get one of the Broadway side, the sunset is spectacular. Some of the lower rooms, however, are dark and can be tiny. So beware of what you're booking. Worth paying up for the better room class. If you're on a budget, don't bother with this property - you can get better value elsewhere.

Lobby - they just did a major renovation, and they must have used Dracula's estranged step-daughter as designer. Simply awful - no consistency in vision, dark, poor layout (be ready to carry your bags up three steps upon entry - roll bags not welcome). Could be cool if you're into bad....

Service - pretty mediocre. Door staff are often busy staring off into space. Front desk is always very polite, but that's about all you get. I guess for NYC it is acceptable... No room service.

Location - awesome. Upper West Side, near the express lines, great dining, easy to get groceries/supplies from some of the world's best grocery stores. Really a nice location to spend time.

Room Tip: Pay the money to go high. Low rooms are not worth the price - stay elsewhere if you're on a bud...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear DavidM2013,

Thank you so much for your review, and thank you for your continued loyalty to NYLO!

Your comments have been passed along to the necessary departments within the hotel.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!