“Wouldnt choose this hotel again”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #325 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Wouldnt choose this hotel again”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The location of the hotel is its best quality, located on 7th Avenue only a few minutes away from Times Square then in the other direction Central Park.
It was a very basic hotel the main feature I didn't like was the shower, the temperature was hard to control and also the shower head was hard to maneuver. Thankfully we only stayed there over night then went to another hotel.

Room Tip: There are better hotels in the same area.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becstar22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I found some of the staff to be rude not all of them but more than less the room was not very clean. I found the hotel needs a bit of work. The location was great if you want to be close to time square and central park and there is a subway just outside. The cafe connected to the hotel was poor staff where not very welcoming at all. I would stay elsewhere next time.

2 Thank duddyz123

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Stow, Ohio
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is my first time posting a review on anything, so you know the experience really made an impression. It was horrible! The heating system is so loud and continues to make noise even when it is shut off. It woke us up all night long. The rooms are small and bathrooms smaller. The water became extremely hot several times during showering. So hot that whoever was in the shower had to step out of the spray of the scalding water. Last but not least, 2 of the 3 elevators stopped functioning and people had to use the stairs to get up and down. We carried our luggage 16 flights.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeanne W
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I knew I was going to stay in an older hotel, so my expectations were for a clean, safe and well lit hotel. It fit these criteria.

When I checked in, I was unexpectedly upgraded to a room with 2 beds which was great. The room was chilly when I arrived. I called the maintenance group who came in a timely manner and closed a window I was unable to close.

I didn't hear noise from neighboring rooms or in the hall.The staff were accommodating with requests for a taxi, locations of restaurants, and retrieving my luggage from storage after check out but before leaving town.

Bonus: Great location to Central Park, Starbucks and eclectic restaurants.

Caution: There is work going on due to a city required structural audit on the building. I was told about it when I first checked in. I did not hear it as I was gone during the day.
The pipes are old and can clank. At first I wondered what the sound was (rats, night construction...) but it eventually receded into the background for me.
The elevator is slow.

If they were competitive in price, I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located betwen central park and time square on the 7th avenue, very convenient place, that being said rooms are dated to say the least, decoration is from the 70's, cleaning was questionable in my room, plenty hairs (not mine) in the tub, this hotel is not to my minimum acceptable standard, so I wouldn't recommend this hotel

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed here for our last trip to new york After reading some of the the reviews
( after we had booked ) we were a little worried on what we were going to find but !
as with every hotel there are good points and bad so here goes !!
The foyer is nice and clean although a little dated does give a decent impression had to hand over my credit card as for incidents and room service bills ( but used to that so ok )
The room service girls are more polite than the reception staff and the doorman did his job
bellboy gave no help (but only had hand luggage anyway)so saved myself the tip i had ready for him we had to find my own room (but seeing as we had got from jfk by tube i guessed i could find it myself 12 floor and the lifts worked The room was very clean but a little dated the bathroom was the same but clean i had bought some milk from a store and also brought my own tea and sugar and was looking forward to a cup of tea but although there was a kettal there were no cups after going down to reception for some was told sorry we have none and to go round to coffee shop on corner and borrow two from there decided to buy 2 from gift shop ( $9 ) but on a good point two new york gifts sorted wifi was not included in my package and was quite dear but i opted to buy it the following evening ( be careful here ) i gave the guy at reception $40 dollars and got back my $13 change ( wifi here i come ) all worked ok and seemed faster than mine at home (all good ! ) on checking out checked that no room service charges had been charged to my credit card (as i always do) and being told that the wifi had !
i contested this and explained i had payed by cash to the guy on reception were he asked did i get a receipt i said no but described him and his reply was i do not understand it does not show that i had payed cash ( i replied well it wouldent would it !! ) but he reluctantly reimbursed
after speaking to manager and i got a apology
another bad point is the noise !! i think if you are unfortunate to get a room that is not on the road side there is some kind of vent / extractor unit that drones all night (and its loud ) almost as bad as being seated at the back end of a plane and its all way through the night but after so long jetlag and tiredness takes over but i did not get a good nights sleep !

WOULD I STAY THERE AGAIN ? if they let me after reading this YES I WOULD !

GOOD POINTS The location , cleanness , warm ,hot water .price ,comfy bed ect all good points
BAD POINTS noise from air /vent /extractor and reception guy pocketing my wifi charge then billing me as well also if you leave your do not disturb sign on door you will receive a letter asking / telling you they need to come into your room

TIPS !!
BUY SOME EAR PLUGS TO TAKE WITH YOU AND YOU WILL BE FINE JUST REMEMBER YOU NEED TO HEAR FOR THE FIRE ALARM AND CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD BILL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: road side high up i guess ! listen before you accept your room if you hear a droning sound you...
2 Thank lesleyhorner2013
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Just returned from a 6 night stay at the Wellington.The location was great about 5 minutes from Time Square and 5 minutes from Central Park.
The hotel itself was grubby and really run down.We stayed in room 344 which was about the size of a rabbit hutch.The toilet over lapped the bath and the bath would have been great for anyone 4' and under.The room was constantly dark as we were located in a quadrant.I cannot say that the room was dirty just gruby and need money spending on it.The roller blind was broken on arrival so we called down to reception who did send a man up to repair it,he came back the next day to repair but still was faulty.No tea& Coffee facilities in the room.The beds were comfy so thats a plus.
We paid for breakfast which was located in a coffee shop on the side of the hotel,i would highly recommend anyone wanting to book this hotel to give the breakfast a miss as it was dreadful.
No pleasantries from any of the staff,we were there just as a room number.This hotel is no more than a 2 star.

Room Tip: Don't expect anything apart from a great location
1 Thank RicardoEastYorkshire