“Definitely improving”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #329 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 February 2014

When I checked in this time, the bellhop said "You are going to be surprised." With a 2 1/2 star hotel, I never hope to be surprised, I just want a decent bed. But I was surprised. Even looked like the same room I had been in a prior time but with all new furnishings and a brand new bathroom. Really liked the way the bathroom had brand new old looking fixtures. Someone put a lot of thought into it.
The only downside is that it is still a great big old building with one of those old building heating systems. This was during the polar vortex but it never got below 75 degrees in the room, even with both windows wide open. Should have brought a fan!
No signs of critters or anything that would not want to share a room with.
The bedding was better than the Marriott I was in last week in Boston.
I really appreciated that I could check my bag during the day.
Staff were very nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank CSSnowshoer
Write a ReviewReviews (7,142)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Following arival in to the dated lobby, we were given our keys and had to request a few times to get our luggage taken to our room for us. We arrived to our room to find ourselves stuck in what could only be described as a shoe box. My fiance imediately got on the phone to complain and we were eventually moved to another room this although slightly better than our first was only just slightly bigger. The only goof this about this hotel I could say is the location.

Room Tip: You can find better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony S
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Excellent location - Times Square one way Central Park the other. All within walking distance. Room although 'tired' provided more than adequate accommodation. Microwave an fridge an added bonus. It was good value for money an provided my daughter an I a place to rest our weary bones. Do not expect the Ritz - but then you not paying ritz prices! Door staff were amazingly helpful as were the rest of the staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble. We had a double double room which gave us both a large double bed. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Luckylady2014
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Brilliant location - so central to everything. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.
However MASSIVE downside - My room was roasting hot! I rang down to reception and they sent up an engineer who told us that if we turned off the heat we would be frozen and to just open the windows. We done this and we couldn't sleep due to the heat. The next day we asked for the heat to be shut off in our room, and they obliged. However it took until 3 days later until we could actually sleep in the room because the heat was still there!! Baring in mind, there was snow outside and it was in the minus numbers temperature wise, it was too extreme!

The décor is quite dated, but it was kept clean.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to have a central location in New York City, however as previously noted, I had problems with the heating but that could have just been me!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cerysfon
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms are clean and renewed, the staff is gentle and it has a various commerce around. Subway at the door. Near the Central Park and 8 blocks away from Times Square and 5 or 6 from the theaters. I loved to stay there. Even during the coldest days we didn't have a problem to go out. If the rate is good, go without worries.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank HelenaJahara
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel is in such a great location.you can walk everywhere .........Time Square one way and Central Park the other.........clean and compact and great value for money......All the staff were so friendly and helpful.....and that was not because they were chasing the $$$$$

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrandMrscBekshire
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Wellington hotel has a great location which I love because it is very close to everything, the room was ok, the bathrooms' temperature was so cold, the heater was noisy, it woke me up time after time, the service is bad, I dropped something on the floor and it ran all the way under the bed, it is so dirty with some napkins, coins, cotton buds and hair, the bath towels were filled with long hair from the room attendant who cleans the room, they don't help you with airport shuttle, I went to tell one of the receptionist about our shuttle bus and she answered "we are not affiliated with them so you better call them" isn't that nice? Wifi is not free. We took the elevator and one of the employee were inside, when we come out from the elevator the employee came out first without letting us going out first and this happened 3 times.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends