“Brilliant location, comfortable bed & lovely staff - great hotel”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #325 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Brilliant location, comfortable bed & lovely staff - great hotel”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in February for our five year anniversary. It was the perfect location.. 5 minute walk to Times Square & 5 minute walk to Central Park. Close by there were lots of restaurants, bars & theatres. Our room was on the 19th floor, there were three lifts so it was easy to get to.. The bed was so comfortable! it was exactly what we needed for when we had been walking in the city all day. The room was clean & had a iron, ironing board & hair dryer provided. The bathroom was modern & shower was powerful. We were slightly worried before we arrived about using the safety deposit box at reception, however it was fine and so easy. You sign each time you take money out and you have a key so it can't be opened without your key.
Overall this hotel is brilliant staff are friendly, and the location is great!
we will definitely return next time we visit New York! Would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katiieb44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

For tourists the Wellington is undeniably located in an excellent spot. But, the hotel is neither comfortable, nor friendly, and desperately in need of a make over in every sense. It might be passable for sleeping in I suppose, but not a relaxing place to go back to at the end of a long day.

I had a standard double room. I am glad that I was staying alone as it was much too cramped for a couple, and the double bed was rather small too. I was there in January's freezing cold spell of weather, and the room was either cold or boiling hot. The heating controls were hopeless and my bathroom had no heating at all and a draughty window. The bedding was very meagre: no duvets. I could not open or close the blind on my window so it had to stay 'half-way' for the duration of my stay with the only solution offered that maintenance could come and open and close it for me each time - I thought it was a joke, but no! The curtains are not real and cannot be drawn either so I had a very bright room at night. The wardrobe was in the form of a small, rather fusty cupboard.

I have never encountered less helpful doormen. Most of the time it was too much trouble to them to either help with the doors or hail a taxi. I would not stay here again. There must be better hotels close by which are nicer, for a similar price.

Room Tip: Maybe the more expensive rooms are better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sares74

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Wellington 21-25 Jan. 30th birthday celebration. Was not disappointed. Like previous reviews have stated it really is in an ideal location. Subway right at side entrance, 5min walk to times square. An excellent base point.
Arrived from Glasgow at hotel around 1.30pm. When checking in it did state 3pm. However we were surprised when receptionist said room was ready to go. I had emailed hotel previously to request high floor, good view etc. I was not disappointed. We where given a corner room. One window looked straight down to times square, other window had great views of the city.
I really struggled to find fault with hotel/room. Yes the bathroom was a little small, but you're not there to spend your time in it.
Hotel acknowledged it was my birthday, on the day our room was decorated with banners and a bottle of wine left in room. A lovely wee touch that was gratefully received.
All staff friendly and welcoming.
Try the cafe attached on to hotel, great portion sizes, good chat and just overall great service. We wish we had tried it sooner.
Would defiantly use/recommend The Wellington again.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank claire_wood84
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

My needs for a comfy, clean bed to rest in after a lightning tour of the city, were perfectly met. I was greeted by friendly staff who took me through a quick check in and also a quick check out the next day. They took care of my luggage while I made the most of a few more tourist hours. Will certainly recommend this hotel as value for money!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Anni C
Thorndike, Maine
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Visiting NY for the weekend, we weren't at the Wellington much! On the outskirts of time square, walking distance to lots of attractions. The only reason for 4 stars, you had to pay for WIFI. That as a disappointment.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2014

When I checked in this time, the bellhop said "You are going to be surprised." With a 2 1/2 star hotel, I never hope to be surprised, I just want a decent bed. But I was surprised. Even looked like the same room I had been in a prior time but with all new furnishings and a brand new bathroom. Really liked the way the bathroom had brand new old looking fixtures. Someone put a lot of thought into it.
The only downside is that it is still a great big old building with one of those old building heating systems. This was during the polar vortex but it never got below 75 degrees in the room, even with both windows wide open. Should have brought a fan!
No signs of critters or anything that would not want to share a room with.
The bedding was better than the Marriott I was in last week in Boston.
I really appreciated that I could check my bag during the day.
Staff were very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank CSSnowshoer
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Following arival in to the dated lobby, we were given our keys and had to request a few times to get our luggage taken to our room for us. We arrived to our room to find ourselves stuck in what could only be described as a shoe box. My fiance imediately got on the phone to complain and we were eventually moved to another room this although slightly better than our first was only just slightly bigger. The only goof this about this hotel I could say is the location.

Room Tip: You can find better.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple