“Excellent time at the Wellington”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #323 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Excellent time at the Wellington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had a terrific weekend in New York City staying at the Wellington Hotel. This is my second stay there. The rooms were pleasant, clean, and roomy by New York standards. The rooms are very quiet. The staff was excellent - courteous, friendly, skilled, and efficient. The hotel's central location put us minutes away from the theater district, Museum of Modern Art, and many other interesting locations. A great place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

So my girlfriend and I decided to stay here during Super Bowl weekend. The hotel itself is close to Times Square and parks.
We arrived and luckily got a corner room with a decent view. The room was pretty big for a NYC hotel. The decor was completely outdated but kind of nice in a vintage way. It was not thoroughly clean due to an old takeout container being left in the room. The bathroom was ridiculously small. You could use the toilet and shower at the same time just to give you a visual. There was a boiling hot pipe in the bathroom that almost scorched my shoulder on the way out.
The staff was nothing over the top. They seem to want you in and out. They were kind of dry for hotel staff. The bell boys were the nicest people there. Too bad my stay wasn't based in their kindness. Maybe then I'd come back to stay.
The price was decent,but I'd rather spend the extra 20$ for cleanliness and better hospitality.
No recommendations from me.

• Stayed February 2014
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights to start off our Honeymoon trip in the USA. This hotel is perfect for location and very central, not even 5 minutes from Central Park and Time Square, The hotel staff are very friendly but the hotel is dated. Curtains looked dirty, aircon unit was so noisy it kept us awake and had rust on it. In need of some TLC. Still had an amazing time in New York and cannot wait to go back but might look at other hotels in the nearby area next time however you cannot fault this hotel for its location its ideal and with a bit of refurb could be perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M00n2006
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My decision to stay at the Wellington was based purely on location and affordability. This trip included my 20 yr. old son, 8 yr. old son, husband and myself. This was a family trip to get in the Holiday (Dec. 15-16) mood and "do" the typical NY Christmas stuff. FAO Schwartz Toy store, ice skating at Rockefeller Center, walk through Time Square and take in the sights. I didn't need a really extravagant hotel but wanted a good location. The location was perfect walking distance to everything 1 block from Carnegie Hall and Central Park. The price was extremely reasonable. The room....eh needs a bit of TLC. We were on the10th floor and we ended up walking a few times up and down because elevators were mobbed and slow. The room we had was 2 queen bedrooms separated by a small kitchenette and a shared bathroom. The kitchenette was convenient. there was also added privacy with the beds in separate rooms rather than both in the same room and each room had a T.V. so boys could watch SpongeBob and Mom and Dad didn't have to. The view literally made us feel like we were in an old Twilight Zone episode, each room had large windows looking directly at a brick wall as far as you could see JUST BRICK, not a window, door, or ledge. The feeling was a little off-putting to say the least. I will say that during the Macy's Day Parade this is the perfect hotel because the parade goes right by the front of the building so if reserving for that, confirm you have a front facing room. The room was very hot but since the weather was 20 degrees I would prefer hot than freezing. The pipes scared my son due to being old they banged and boomed all night. The lobby and breakfast restaurant were extremely crowded but we expected that. Overall the room served its purpose nothing great but affordable.

Room Tip: Get room facing the front otherwise your view is a brick wall
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in February for our five year anniversary. It was the perfect location.. 5 minute walk to Times Square & 5 minute walk to Central Park. Close by there were lots of restaurants, bars & theatres. Our room was on the 19th floor, there were three lifts so it was easy to get to.. The bed was so comfortable! it was exactly what we needed for when we had been walking in the city all day. The room was clean & had a iron, ironing board & hair dryer provided. The bathroom was modern & shower was powerful. We were slightly worried before we arrived about using the safety deposit box at reception, however it was fine and so easy. You sign each time you take money out and you have a key so it can't be opened without your key.
Overall this hotel is brilliant staff are friendly, and the location is great!
we will definitely return next time we visit New York! Would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katiieb44
Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

For tourists the Wellington is undeniably located in an excellent spot. But, the hotel is neither comfortable, nor friendly, and desperately in need of a make over in every sense. It might be passable for sleeping in I suppose, but not a relaxing place to go back to at the end of a long day.

I had a standard double room. I am glad that I was staying alone as it was much too cramped for a couple, and the double bed was rather small too. I was there in January's freezing cold spell of weather, and the room was either cold or boiling hot. The heating controls were hopeless and my bathroom had no heating at all and a draughty window. The bedding was very meagre: no duvets. I could not open or close the blind on my window so it had to stay 'half-way' for the duration of my stay with the only solution offered that maintenance could come and open and close it for me each time - I thought it was a joke, but no! The curtains are not real and cannot be drawn either so I had a very bright room at night. The wardrobe was in the form of a small, rather fusty cupboard.

I have never encountered less helpful doormen. Most of the time it was too much trouble to them to either help with the doors or hail a taxi. I would not stay here again. There must be better hotels close by which are nicer, for a similar price.

Room Tip: Maybe the more expensive rooms are better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sares74

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Wellington 21-25 Jan. 30th birthday celebration. Was not disappointed. Like previous reviews have stated it really is in an ideal location. Subway right at side entrance, 5min walk to times square. An excellent base point.
Arrived from Glasgow at hotel around 1.30pm. When checking in it did state 3pm. However we were surprised when receptionist said room was ready to go. I had emailed hotel previously to request high floor, good view etc. I was not disappointed. We where given a corner room. One window looked straight down to times square, other window had great views of the city.
I really struggled to find fault with hotel/room. Yes the bathroom was a little small, but you're not there to spend your time in it.
Hotel acknowledged it was my birthday, on the day our room was decorated with banners and a bottle of wine left in room. A lovely wee touch that was gratefully received.
All staff friendly and welcoming.
Try the cafe attached on to hotel, great portion sizes, good chat and just overall great service. We wish we had tried it sooner.
Would defiantly use/recommend The Wellington again.

Stayed January 2014