“Brilliant”

Ranked #323 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved this hotel..amazing views,fantastic service and lovely rooms. The staff are very helpful and polite and we would definitely stay here again. Our room had a brilliant view of Times Square and it is so near everything

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marie L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Largo, Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

As anyone who reads my reviews knows, I'm an avid user of Priceline to book hotel stays, and this property was my most recent win. That said the hotel was not the worst but fart from the best that I've stayed in in NYC. The experience was not worth the amount I paid.

The room was small, but liveable, with a great view. However, it was clean. The air conditioning / heating unit was extraordinarily loud; enough to be disturbing, though it had very little effect in making the room comfortable. The alternative - opening the rooms 3 windows. Not that it bothered me too much, but the cable connection completely died out twice during our stay.

The location of the room was great and near many - but very expensive restaurants. Though this is what you expect in many Midtown NYC areas. It's also very near the the N,Q, R train which was useful to my partner and I.

You're probably reading this thinking that it doesn't sound too bad...which it wasn't, but what ultimately prevented me from giving this hotel a 3-4 rating, was the service. I can't say that I met one great example of customer service. I found all of the desk agents to fall in a range from stoic to downright rude. At one point, my key didn't work and the agent told me that it had to be because I was trying to enter the wrong room...turns out the agent before him had made my key for the wrong room. Everyone's tone was rude and unfriendly. The nicest person I met - the Valet that hailed a cab upon my leaving.

I hope that Priceline never gives me this hotel again, but more importantly I'd say...DON"T PAY FULL PRICE TO COME HERE. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a corner or with a view. It'll help make up for the poor service and loud unit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chrisla2082

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just stayed there with my daughter. Location was great!! About 10 min walk to times square and a few minutes from central park. Carnegie deli across the street (diagonal). Room was small but very clean. Only complaint about the room was you couldn't control the heat, it was always on. Thankfully we were able to open 3 windows a little bit. A small coffee maker would have been great but otherwise we were very comfortable. It was quiet and our room service came quickly and was delicious. They kept out bags while we went out to see the sites before check in and even after we checked out. The doormen were extremely pleasant as was the staff at reception. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Book in advance thru hotels.com and save 20%. Request a higher floor with a view and you are likely...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kimberly s
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a budget friendly hotel...One reviewer mentioned no coffee, tea in room, well our room had a kitchenette. I travel with my Dad a lot and we were pleasantly surprised that the bedrooms were separate...It' NOT the Waldorf people...it's a great place to stay allowing one to have extra money for show tickets, dining, etc. We ate in the Diner @ the Wellington several times and the food is wonderful, hearty servings too! We like a kitchenette because we like to drink coffee on our own dine instead of the $3.50/cup with NO refills that are commonplace in NYC...We also like too keep juice and snacks in our rooms too...The location is great and there is a subway stop just around the corner....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Goodlollipop75
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel itself is located perfectly in the city of New York. It's easy to get to all the main places to see within New York. The hotel was clean and the rooms are spacious and lovely. The staff at the hotel are friendly and welcoming and extremely helpful. There was only one negative aspect of the Wellington hotel and that was the fact that wifi was not free and was fairly expensive, in this day and age I feel wifi is something that should be free or if not, then reasonable. Apart from that I would recommend the hotel to anybody.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Charlotte B
none
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The location is really good and very close to times square. Cons. Tired looking hotel, no tea or coffee facilities in the room, and no free wifi, and rooms really hot with no facility to turn down the heating.The cost of the rooms is as much as the 4 and half star hotels in downtown, hence not really good value for the prices charged. The saving grace is the proximity to times square.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Air40
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is well located at 56th and 7th. Unfortunately, based perhaps on its age, the whole hotel seems to be one big haha room. This visit to this hotel is probably the first time when I actually went up to the room and rejected it, calling the front desk and then descending to wait for another room to become available. Initially I was escorted by a bellman up to the room, but he never even looked at me. I only had one small bag, so no reason for him to take the luggage, but it seemed to me that he couldn’t get out of the room fast enough. And I actually tipped him. (The second time I came up to my room, I wasn’t even escorted to confirm that the a/c worked or that there were towels in the bathroom.) I have a view of the building next door – maybe 20 feet away. My second room – 1545 – at least did not look out on to the air handling units, and the window was in the middle of the wall, not squished up in the corner of the room as it was in the first room – room 343. I even asked Janette at reception when I checked in if she was giving me the haha room; she claims to have never heard that expression. I wonder what terminology she uses for that joke of a room.
The elevators are extremely small – and one has to wait ages for one to come. The second morning the elevator was completely crammed with people and the elevator stopped at several more floors where people could not actually fit in the elevator, so they had to wait for the next one. You can imagine how tightly stuffed the rest of us strangers were.
Further, much to my surprise, when I returned to the hotel there was no longer a doorman at about 11 pm on a Wednesday night. There was a door man during the day, but he seemed more interested in chatting with his friends than opening the door or helping with the luggage – though he did make a lunch recommendation when asked.

Pluses:
Hair dryer in the room
Ironing board & iron
Located on 57th & 7th
Has a bed and a toilet
Has a TV

Minuses:
No bigger than a shoe box
View of the air shaft
A hair in my bed
Employees don’t seem proud to be working there; not a particularly good attitude
Stifling hot and the HVAC had to have an engineer address it
Small, slow elevators
No coffee or water in the room

Room Tip: don't get room 343 - it has a view of the roof with the air handling units.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo