“Ideal location and comfortable rooms”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #328 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned from 5 days sightseeing in New York and our first trip to the USA.
We had been recommended a suite and this was perfect considering we had 2 teenage daughters to consider. Clean rooms,comfy beds and maid service was excellent. Concierge was great fun and saved us loads of time with his advice.
Heating pipes gave a knocking noise which needs sorting out as it could drive you batty because it goes on even if you turn the radiator off. I knew it was the same because you could hear the same noise in the staircase. Glad my earplugs are always packed for such cases. Otherwise faultless.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MGA2014
Write a ReviewReviews (7,140)

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

After being sent to New York for ten days with work with just a week's notice I needed something cheap, convenient and respectable. In this the Wellington ticks all boxes.

The staff were at typical US friendly but on occasions went beyond the call. This is nice when you are somewhere for a while. The location is perfect and there is a good breakfast diner in the ground floor.

The entrance hall is grand and the rooms have that feel. They are tired though. Many years of tarting up without a gutting. You pay for what you get though and there are no complaints. It is spotless. I was by myself being on work and the room was small. No problem for me but might be challenging for a couple in a longer stay.

There is the possibility I will be back to New York in May and I would stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank coxy_gj
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel..amazing views,fantastic service and lovely rooms. The staff are very helpful and polite and we would definitely stay here again. Our room had a brilliant view of Times Square and it is so near everything

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marie L
Reviewed 19 April 2014

As anyone who reads my reviews knows, I'm an avid user of Priceline to book hotel stays, and this property was my most recent win. That said the hotel was not the worst but fart from the best that I've stayed in in NYC. The experience was not worth the amount I paid.

The room was small, but liveable, with a great view. However, it was clean. The air conditioning / heating unit was extraordinarily loud; enough to be disturbing, though it had very little effect in making the room comfortable. The alternative - opening the rooms 3 windows. Not that it bothered me too much, but the cable connection completely died out twice during our stay.

The location of the room was great and near many - but very expensive restaurants. Though this is what you expect in many Midtown NYC areas. It's also very near the the N,Q, R train which was useful to my partner and I.

You're probably reading this thinking that it doesn't sound too bad...which it wasn't, but what ultimately prevented me from giving this hotel a 3-4 rating, was the service. I can't say that I met one great example of customer service. I found all of the desk agents to fall in a range from stoic to downright rude. At one point, my key didn't work and the agent told me that it had to be because I was trying to enter the wrong room...turns out the agent before him had made my key for the wrong room. Everyone's tone was rude and unfriendly. The nicest person I met - the Valet that hailed a cab upon my leaving.

I hope that Priceline never gives me this hotel again, but more importantly I'd say...DON"T PAY FULL PRICE TO COME HERE. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a corner or with a view. It'll help make up for the poor service and loud unit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chrisla2082
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just stayed there with my daughter. Location was great!! About 10 min walk to times square and a few minutes from central park. Carnegie deli across the street (diagonal). Room was small but very clean. Only complaint about the room was you couldn't control the heat, it was always on. Thankfully we were able to open 3 windows a little bit. A small coffee maker would have been great but otherwise we were very comfortable. It was quiet and our room service came quickly and was delicious. They kept out bags while we went out to see the sites before check in and even after we checked out. The doormen were extremely pleasant as was the staff at reception. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Book in advance thru hotels.com and save 20%. Request a higher floor with a view and you are likely...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kimberly s
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a budget friendly hotel...One reviewer mentioned no coffee, tea in room, well our room had a kitchenette. I travel with my Dad a lot and we were pleasantly surprised that the bedrooms were separate...It' NOT the Waldorf people...it's a great place to stay allowing one to have extra money for show tickets, dining, etc. We ate in the Diner @ the Wellington several times and the food is wonderful, hearty servings too! We like a kitchenette because we like to drink coffee on our own dine instead of the $3.50/cup with NO refills that are commonplace in NYC...We also like too keep juice and snacks in our rooms too...The location is great and there is a subway stop just around the corner....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Goodlollipop75
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel itself is located perfectly in the city of New York. It's easy to get to all the main places to see within New York. The hotel was clean and the rooms are spacious and lovely. The staff at the hotel are friendly and welcoming and extremely helpful. There was only one negative aspect of the Wellington hotel and that was the fact that wifi was not free and was fairly expensive, in this day and age I feel wifi is something that should be free or if not, then reasonable. Apart from that I would recommend the hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: February 2014