“Horrible customer service”

Ranked #324 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Brunswick, Georgia
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Came to NYC to get married and chose the Hotel Wellington based on its location. We had read the reviews and read the rooms were small. That is an understatement. The bathrooms are so small you have to squeeze between the toilet and sink to get in the tub.
Next, the cable/satellite was poor. It's sad when you're in a restaurant and the television service is so poor you can barely make out the station.
But, worst of all, customer service. The night we were married we went back to our hotel room with a bottle of champagne. We had to ask for an ice bucket because they didn't have one in the room. We only had one glass, went down to get one and was told house keeping would bring them. They did. But, after pouring champagne in the glasses we had a knock on the door! It was house keeping demanding we give the glasses back!!!! She told us, "you need to give them back". Seriously?!?! I ended up closing the door on her. Called down to the front desk and got "Jim" the manager. He did apologize but then said, "this is so stupid it's funny". I said, no. We just got married! He told me to have a nice night. I said, after that? You kinda ruined it! No apology. Nothing. Will never stay there again. Ever!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Valhorsle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very pleasantly surprised with Wellington!
Location could not be beat. Halfway between Times Square and Central Park. PERFECT!
Room was average for NYC, small, but clean and comfortable.
Staff was excellent.

I would definetly stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in great location every where close to the park,times square,FAO,restaurants etc.Wellington has a huge rooms for families but unfortunately with broken furnitures,very dirty and terribly dirty windows.Some of the Concierge stuff are very rude (count his tips earn for the whole day in front of hotel guests)and not helpful with the language despite plenty of stairs.I booked my stay with Expedia and the photos were much nicer than is in real.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Haidik
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned from 5 days sightseeing in New York and our first trip to the USA.
We had been recommended a suite and this was perfect considering we had 2 teenage daughters to consider. Clean rooms,comfy beds and maid service was excellent. Concierge was great fun and saved us loads of time with his advice.
Heating pipes gave a knocking noise which needs sorting out as it could drive you batty because it goes on even if you turn the radiator off. I knew it was the same because you could hear the same noise in the staircase. Glad my earplugs are always packed for such cases. Otherwise faultless.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MGA2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

After being sent to New York for ten days with work with just a week's notice I needed something cheap, convenient and respectable. In this the Wellington ticks all boxes.

The staff were at typical US friendly but on occasions went beyond the call. This is nice when you are somewhere for a while. The location is perfect and there is a good breakfast diner in the ground floor.

The entrance hall is grand and the rooms have that feel. They are tired though. Many years of tarting up without a gutting. You pay for what you get though and there are no complaints. It is spotless. I was by myself being on work and the room was small. No problem for me but might be challenging for a couple in a longer stay.

There is the possibility I will be back to New York in May and I would stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank coxy_gj
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved this hotel..amazing views,fantastic service and lovely rooms. The staff are very helpful and polite and we would definitely stay here again. Our room had a brilliant view of Times Square and it is so near everything

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marie L
Largo, Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

As anyone who reads my reviews knows, I'm an avid user of Priceline to book hotel stays, and this property was my most recent win. That said the hotel was not the worst but fart from the best that I've stayed in in NYC. The experience was not worth the amount I paid.

The room was small, but liveable, with a great view. However, it was clean. The air conditioning / heating unit was extraordinarily loud; enough to be disturbing, though it had very little effect in making the room comfortable. The alternative - opening the rooms 3 windows. Not that it bothered me too much, but the cable connection completely died out twice during our stay.

The location of the room was great and near many - but very expensive restaurants. Though this is what you expect in many Midtown NYC areas. It's also very near the the N,Q, R train which was useful to my partner and I.

You're probably reading this thinking that it doesn't sound too bad...which it wasn't, but what ultimately prevented me from giving this hotel a 3-4 rating, was the service. I can't say that I met one great example of customer service. I found all of the desk agents to fall in a range from stoic to downright rude. At one point, my key didn't work and the agent told me that it had to be because I was trying to enter the wrong room...turns out the agent before him had made my key for the wrong room. Everyone's tone was rude and unfriendly. The nicest person I met - the Valet that hailed a cab upon my leaving.

I hope that Priceline never gives me this hotel again, but more importantly I'd say...DON"T PAY FULL PRICE TO COME HERE. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a corner or with a view. It'll help make up for the poor service and loud unit...