“Good Location”

Ranked #46 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for five days in May and this was our second time in NY. We particularly wanted to stay in the Grand Central area as it is a bit quieter than other parts of NY. We were not disappointed. Room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the road. We requested a high floor room, which we got. (Unfortunately the room number was 911 which was a bit poignant after visiting Ground Zero.) Staff were friendly and room very clean. Location is ideal for sightseeing the city. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Breakfast at Blooms, corner Lexington and 40th, is brilliant.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor further away from any noise on the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear sunqueenBexley,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've been coming back to this hotel for years now, my first choice in NYC: you can't ask for a better location, walking distance to many mid-town attractions and minutes away from metro stations, going all over the metropolitan area. The rooms are modernly designed, comfortable beds, large, well equiped bathroom. One of the big advantages is the continental breakfast included in the room price: fresh, generous, just the right stuff to get you started for another day in this wonderful city! The only thing I would change there is the amenties brand- it is top end and satisfactory, however I am personally really not fond of that citrusy scent of the products they seem to stick with since I first stayed ther 4-5 years ago.. Nevertheless, this doesn't stop me from making every effort to stay there every time I get to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Anna A,

I'd like to thank you for your continued patronage.

The location, being so close to Grand Central station, the shopping and excellent sightseeing can't be beat.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here one night for business & found it to be very clean & comfortable. Although it's near Grand Central Station, it's on a street that is not very busy or well traveled so it was very quiet for a city hotel. The rooms are updated in this old hotel & are well appointed with amenities. Friendly & fast service.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor although because it's not on a busy street, it was quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear SopkoLeciecclan,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here for three nights in mid-April. After a late check in, having asked for a room on an upper floor overlooking the street, I found myself with a view of a brick wall. They were able to meet my request the following day, and I was more than happy. My room on the eighth floor at the front of the building was large, immaculate and beautifully decorated. Bedding, towels and toiletries were of the highest quality. I was offered complimentary breakfasts after a minor inconvenience with my key and found them good, though the food I was given differed from one day to the next. I had one meal in the pub which was very good. I also found a wonderful Indian restaurant nearby, thanks to the concierge. The hotel is well located in Midtown East within walking distance of the Theatre District, and the airport shuttle pick-up is only 3 short blocks away on 41st. All members of staff I came into contact with were cheerful and helpful. My only criticism was the lack of free wifi in the guest rooms which I think by now should be standard in a good hotel, though it was available in their very comfortable lobby.

Room Tip: Front of the building for better outlook, back of the building if concerned about noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear scoutsilver,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had an early flight and arrived at the hotel far in advance of check-in time. A very gracious Lucia at the front desk provided an outstanding first impression by checking our bags then promising to call us as soon as our room was ready. Less than 45 minutes later she made good on that promise and we were settled in our room much sooner than anticipated.

The location of the hotel is fantastic with its close proximity to Grand Central, shopping and restaurants. Our king room, while of standard size for NYC, was extremely comfortable and the ability to actually control the temperature in the room (including ice cold for sleeping) was appreciated. The bathroom was of a decent size and the window helped make it seem larger than it was. Everything was perfectly clean.

There is no on-site fitness center at the Fitzpatrick--which for us is a plus since we were given free passes every day to use a enormous New York Sports Club location just a few blocks away. This arrangement is usually preferable over the inadequate fitness facilities most properties have. Instead of trying and failing, the Fitzpatrick does it right.

Great location, very comfortable rooms and an extremely friendly staff made for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear jaxandmci,

I appreciate your kind comments about Lucia and that she able to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central for 3 nights this week and loved it! The hotel is in a great location - close to Grand Central Station for easy access to the Subway and within walking distance of many great shops, restaurants and landmarks. The room was clean and comfortable. The only downside was the shower which was hard to keep at a constant temperature, but this was really a minor thing. All the staff were super friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear meira01,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I like this hotel's location on Lexington Avenue and really close to Grand Central Station. The welcome is always friendly and the lobby is small and intimate.
Rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. Some are small, as is the case in NY a lot of the time, but this time I was lucky and received a more spacious room. The corridors and elevators are small which can be challenging with suitcases.
There is a good pub but no gym, however you can ask for a pass to a nearby excellent gym.
I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business