“Love this hotel and location”

Ranked #53 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Love this hotel and location”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location is superb value. The staff of the hotel were so friendly, they would talk to you every single time you walked back into the hotel after you had been out and were genuinely interested in the things you had done that day. We slept well every single night, the room was spotless and well maintained by the maids. We will definitely be using this hotel again next time we are in New York.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy S
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Andy S,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you found the staff to be genuine and pleasant.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My best friend a I stayed in May for a long weekend we were celebrating my friends birthday. The room we were given was very big and the beds were amazing, best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. All the staff were very helpful and nothing seems to be too much trouble for them, whenever we wanted printed details of places we wanted to see. When we came back to the hotel after our sightseeing day out the staff always asked how our day had been and where we had been what we had done bought etc. etc. . I can't praise this hotel enough and when I return to NYC I will definitely stay at this hotel. Thanks to all the staff my first trip to NYC went off without any hitch's at all thanks to the Fitzpatrick Hotel , thanks guys.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear BettybooW3861NW,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope your friend had an enjoyable birthday.

I and glad to see that the staff were helpful and exceeded you expectations.

Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. This was our second time staying. It is a great location for getting around NY - either walking or getting metro/taxi. The room this time was a decent size with a very comfortable bed and a large bathroom. Staff were generally very helpful. Food in the bar is reasonable - some times was very good and average on others. Good atmosphere there in early evenings - especially with after work crowd. Hotel seemed busy at all times. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Pat H,

Thank you for your return visit to the Fitzpatrick Grand Central.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to the enjoy some time in the Wheelapper pub and patio, it does get a lively crowd in the afternoon.

United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here for a week. Here's a quick summary:

Pros:
1. As the name "Fitzpatrick - Grand Central" implies, this hotel is situated in an ideal location if you're interested in being near Grand Central station.
2. Staff are pleasant and fairly responsive (except in one case -- see below), even for things you shouldn't have to ask them to respond to. For example, my room came with a rather loud air conditioning unit. It also came without a refrigerator. Calls to Management resulted in prompt fixes to both issues.

Cons:
1. Appliances in the room were fairly old. Never mind there were no HDTVs, one of the TVs I got even came with grainy picture quality! Since I'd called the staff a couple times before (see Pro #2 above), I was just a bit tired to call them a third time. This shouldn't be an issue.
2. After checking out, I rented a car from nearby, and upon arriving at the hotel to collect my luggage, promptly received no assistance at all from the doorman despite my having requested reception and said doorman for help in advance. The part that troubled me most was that he was right there when I brought the car and just walked away once he saw me. Result was I had to risk getting ticketed just to load the luggage myself, which wouldn't be much of an issue if I didn't have to park, run inside, and run back out with a couple bags, all of which took a long 2-3 minutes on a weekday afternoon in one of the busier traffic areas. If I were hotel management, I certainly wouldn't want my guests taking away this experience while leaving.
3. Just given the location and the size of this building, which is dwarfed by the buildings nearby, there aren't any views to enjoy. This was a non-issue to me and I reckon it wouldn't be an issue to most who choose to stay here, but if you're new to New York or if you're one who values rooms with views, chances are this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank inavigator
Dear inavigator,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and I aplogize for the issue you encountered with door service on departure. I will be reviewing your feedback with the lobby staff to ensure it is not repeated.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I ask that you contact me directly at pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Bexley
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for five days in May and this was our second time in NY. We particularly wanted to stay in the Grand Central area as it is a bit quieter than other parts of NY. We were not disappointed. Room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the road. We requested a high floor room, which we got. (Unfortunately the room number was 911 which was a bit poignant after visiting Ground Zero.) Staff were friendly and room very clean. Location is ideal for sightseeing the city. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Breakfast at Blooms, corner Lexington and 40th, is brilliant.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor further away from any noise on the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear sunqueenBexley,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've been coming back to this hotel for years now, my first choice in NYC: you can't ask for a better location, walking distance to many mid-town attractions and minutes away from metro stations, going all over the metropolitan area. The rooms are modernly designed, comfortable beds, large, well equiped bathroom. One of the big advantages is the continental breakfast included in the room price: fresh, generous, just the right stuff to get you started for another day in this wonderful city! The only thing I would change there is the amenties brand- it is top end and satisfactory, however I am personally really not fond of that citrusy scent of the products they seem to stick with since I first stayed ther 4-5 years ago.. Nevertheless, this doesn't stop me from making every effort to stay there every time I get to NYC.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Anna A,

I'd like to thank you for your continued patronage.

The location, being so close to Grand Central station, the shopping and excellent sightseeing can't be beat.

Ledgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here one night for business & found it to be very clean & comfortable. Although it's near Grand Central Station, it's on a street that is not very busy or well traveled so it was very quiet for a city hotel. The rooms are updated in this old hotel & are well appointed with amenities. Friendly & fast service.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor although because it's not on a busy street, it was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business