“Disappointment that could have been avoided”

Ranked #54 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointment that could have been avoided”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I would have liked to give a better rating based on some of the fantastic staff I came across during my recent stay and the great location of the hotel. However a few elements have meant a change of mind. Arrival was fine and I managed to get a change of room upon request. Returning at 3 which is the normal check in time I was told that the room was not ready. The staff informed me to wait at the lobby.Sadly other guests in a similar situation were given vouchers for drinks while waiting. Not very nice given that we were all guests-why the preference?

The killer however was my watch which I forgot in the room the last hour before check out. I take my share of the blame for forgetting it but within 20 minutes I realised this and returned to reception where one of the staff was 'helpful' in trying to trace it for me. It would have been nice to have had honesty because I don't believe for a moment that the room had not been accessed when I checked out as I was again advised. After about 10 minutes of waiting I was told that the watch had not been found and at this point allowed to go check for it. Of course by then there was no watch. I know that I should have been more careful-I however felt quite disappointed especially knowing that in just 20 minutes someone had picked up the watch! I however hope that guilt unsettles the mean person who took what didn't belong to them to the point where they return it. I have already emailed the hotel and again there has been no response, hence my poor rating! JN

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JUDY N
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear JUDY N,

Thank you for staying with us in July.

I appreciate your kind comments about the staff you encountered during your stay. I am sorry that your watch was misplaced and that we have been unable to locate it. A thorough search was conducted by the manager immediately when you notified him of the issue. I have been unable to locate the email you mentioned, but I have tried to contact you via Tripadvisor to discuss the issue further.

Thank you for staying with us and I can be reached at pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Patrick Leyden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 night's on July 14th.. Excellent location and it's across the road from grand central station. Added bonus is the airport shuttle leaves from I block away so no hauling luggage around the city to find transport to JFK. Hotel lovely and rooms were old but decorated nicely and the rooms were of a good size for NY. The staff were very helpful and nothing was a problem for them.. The concierge was good standard and made trips and plans hassle free. Each day we were given bottled water and chocolates in our room which was nice touch.. Only downside that I could see were no wifi in the rooms unless you paid (only hotel across the world I have ever had to pay for wifi so don't know what that is all about, free wifi in lobby tho) no fridge in the room and the air con unit made some buzzing noise but it is what It is! Would definitely be staying here on return trips!

Stayed August 2014
Limerick
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I can't understand where this place is getting all the great reviews from. We stayed here recently and would never stay here again. The place is cold and has absolutely no atmosphere. We found the staff unhelpful and unprofessional....but worst of all was our room. It was tiny, with the tiniest bathroom I've ever seen. We were on honeymoon and asked to change rooms as we would be there nearly a week...on three different occasions staff refused to even entertain the suggestion...telling us to come back and check the following day. The hotel smells funny throughout...can't make out what the smell is, and the carpets are old and grubby.
We used to sit in the lobby to use wifi, from here we could clearly hear staff discussing hotel business...from complaining about house cleaning staff leaving without cleaning all the rooms, to the hotel being overbooked and their only hope being that some guests wouldn't show up.
I wasn't expecting this place to be a fab hotel or anything but thought that it would be a friendly, warm place with clean, basic rooms...it failed on all levels for us. If going to NY make your stay better by not booking this place.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Acar14
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a late review but I just had to compliment this hotel. We stayed here for our honeymoon last July 13 and they upgraded us and we stayed in the Seamus Heaney suite which was very nice of them ,the hotel staff were very friendly, location excellent and food good too.i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Lucey48,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the upgrade and found the location to be excellent.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

An excellent hotel situated in Midtown Manhattan, very central for visiting 5th Avenue, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre and Times Square. Also very convenient for Grand Central Station, Subway and the Hop-On, Hop Off bus stop. Very clean, good size room with comfortable bed. Daily room service excellent with a lovely, extra touch of bottled water and chocolates left every day. In addition, tea/coffee making facilities available which were replenished daily, however, a fridge would have been an added bonus. Very friendly, helpful staff. Wheeltapper bar adjoining the hotel is convenient for a drink and meal. Overall, an outstanding stay and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gail B
Dear Gail B,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are in an excellent location close the main sightseeing attractions and the very best shopping the city has to offer.

Watervliet, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This privately owned hotel near Grand Central, but out of the frenzy, is a GREAT spot! Rooms are reasonable, very clean, outstanding baths, and a helpful, accommodating staff. The on-site restaurant is also reasonable and convenient, with satisfying menu selections. This is a great alternative to the big chains and within easy walking to Times Square, the theater district, and other attractions. Lexington and Third Avenue buses are also steps from the front door, as are many neighborhood coffee shops and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff B
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Jeff B,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Torino, Italia
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Loved the vibe of this small hotel situated in the heart of Midtown Manhattan and three minutes walk from Grand Central station. Good sized room, very clean, tea/ coffee facilities, friendly and helpful staff. The view from the third floor wasn't great as we were facing a little courtyard surrounded by a brickwall. Unfortunately wi-fi was free only in the lobby. Starbucks in the vicinity of the hotel and Pret a manger just around the corner, full of restaurants in the area .15 minutes walk from NY public Library, Bryant Park, Empire Stare Building, Fifth Av. ,Times Square. The concierge ( Sorry can't remember his name, but he' s from Pennsylvania ) was incredibly helpful. Check-in is a bit late at 3 o'clock especially if you come from a longhaul flt, they should take this aspect into consideration. All in all a positive experience, booked via Booking.com and found a good deal, even if it was around 4th July.

• Stayed July 2014