“You have to stay here! Walking distance to Times Square”
Review of Ameritania Hotel

Ameritania Hotel
Ranked #134 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Eastern Washington
“You have to stay here! Walking distance to Times Square”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We just stayed at the Ameritania during the first week of June, 2013 and it was an amazing experience. The hotel is beautiful, clean and inviting. The staff is very friendly, accomodating and always willing to answer questions and give direction. We walked to Times Square multiple times per day because it is just a few blocks down. The room was amazing. It was a little on the smaller side but very clean, well decorated and modern. Loved it!! I am ready to go back.

I have to say a special thank you to Javier in the bar. He makes great drinks, very friendly and personable. We enjoyed talking to him at night while we enjoyed one of his signature martini's. You have to go meet him, he is great.

One more thing. The bed are incredibly comfortable. I was very impressed with this because usually hotel beds are terrible but I wanted to take this bed home with me.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor which was great for reduced noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear shafferquad,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor! I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and that the room was comfortable. I will surely pass on your great compliments to Javier! Looking forward to your next visit.

Judson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Ameritania Hotel for 5 nights on my second trip to New York and my first trip travelling alone. I was originally booked at the New Yorker Hotel where I'd stayed on my previous visit but changed hotels at the last minute as colleagues of mine stayed here earlier this year and recommended it to me.

Before my arrival I had emailed the hotel to request a corner room as I'd been told these were slightly bigger than the other rooms. I received a very prompt response from Sylwia advising that although she couldn't guarantee a corner room, she would do her best to accommodate my request and to contact her if I needed any further help. A good start, as I'd emailed the New Yorker hotel about 4 weeks before with some requests and questions, and I'm still awaiting a response from them!

The hotel is right on the corner of Broadway and West 54th Street and although there is a big sign running up the side of the hotel, if you're not looking up then you could miss it like I did. I walked past the hotel about 3 times before realising it was right on the corner and the doormen helped me inside with my case (there are several steps leading up to the hotel so bear this in mind if you arrive late at night or early in the morning when the doormen aren't there). Check-in was very quick and I was soon heading up to the 7th floor where I discovered Sylwia had managed to give me a corner room! The room was a good size for New York and very modern, and the bathroom was also a good size and had the best shower in it that I've ever experienced!

There is a building being refurbished directly opposite the hotel but I actually found the noise from this to be quite minimal, although this may have been because I was out early and back late most days. I must admit that I did find it difficult to adjust to the noise from the street outside and didn't sleep very well the first few nights. I know that hotels close to Times Square will be noisier than those further away, and perhaps because I was on a much higher floor at the last hotel I stayed at made the noise less noticeable, but I did think that the windows could be better soundproofed and much of the noise seemed to come through the air conditioning vent under one of the windows. I also found the general soundproofing of the room not that great, as I could hear all the comings and goings of the lifts which were a good 5 or 6 doors down from me. Not deal breakers by any means, but certainly things to consider if you are a light sleeper.

I asked for directions from the reception desk on several occasions and each time they were friendly, polite and extremely helpful; I felt like nothing was too much trouble for them. In a city that is well-known for its supposedly 'surly' people, I really think the staff at the hotel should be commended as they were first class.

The hotel itself is in a really great location, just a few minutes’ walk from Times Square down Broadway and a few blocks away from Radio City, Rockefeller Centre and 5th Avenue. There are also 3 subway stops within easy reach, and a Starbucks right across the road which was a lifesaver on early mornings!! The hotel is also not far from the Hell’s Kitchen area, just a few blocks from the main avenues and streets so I found I was able to walk to quite a few places very easily. The hotel is next door to where they film the David Letterman show and most mornings I found there were staff outside offering free tickets to the show. I have heard that sometimes these can be hard to get but I guess it depends on who the guests are. Certainly something I would try when I go back next time.

My overall experience of this hotel was absolutely fantastic; I was made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived to the moment I checked out (rather grudgingly too I might add!), the room was a great size, clean and well-kept by the housekeeping staff, who incidentally were also very friendly whenever I did bump into them. The location is excellent, close to many of the local attractions and the rest of Manhattan is easily accessible by taxi, subways and local buses. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again and have already recommended it to several people and will continue to do so!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are supposed to be slightly larger than the other rooms so if you want a bit more space...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steph C
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a 5 star review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations, and your satisfaction is important to us. We hope you will stay with us again next time you visit New York City. Kind Regards,
Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed in room 708 for 2 weeks from 24th May to 7th June. The staff at this hotel are to be praised for their friendliness and professionalism. The ensuite was spacious with a great wet room shower and walk in wardrobe complete with safe.Considering the skyscraper opposite was being refurbished its is actual in a quiet street yet a top location for all the Manhattan major attractions and Broadway shows.
I give the diners and restaurants in Manhattan nil point however not the breakfast at this hotel nor the man who manages it Robert. That is top class. I didn't try their cocktail bar but I am sure it is equally well managed. A very comfortable big bed and very clean. What more could you ask?

Room Tip: my room 708 was on W54th Street not Broadway
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ron R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Absolutely fantastic!! Perfect location, beautiful rooms (particularly the bathroom!!!!!!) amazingly helpful staff. We went over to get married and no-one could of done more to help us.. Our Special thanks go to Geoffrey (who helped us get to the registrars office.. And even helped us in finding a witness!!!!!) And Jalal who helped us find restaurants and get around the city!! Everyone else was just as nice and helpful.. Sadly to many to name!! We can't wait to go back and will definitely be staying there again. Just a shame our trip was had too end..many thanks to you all!!!!!

1 Thank Kenny C
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Dear Kenny C,

Thank you for your kind comments! I am thrilled to know that your stay with us was enjoyable and that you chose the Ameritania to celebrate such a special occassion. Congratulations! I will surely pass on your compliments to Jalal and Jeffrey. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

First of all we would like to say our stay in your hotel was just perfect! We stayed for a week, 3rd June till 10th as we were getting married in NYC
The hotel itself is a gorgeous boutique hotel and very fancy. The staff were very friendly and welcomed us when we checked in including the doorman Jeff
Location is great right in times square, we would definitely stay there again.
Thank you to the staff for the room we requested and the prosecco.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear dmh93,
We are elated to hear that you felt special during your time with us! Thank you for your positive feedback, it is so refreshing and encouraging. We hope you will give us an opportunity to pamper you again the next time you visit New York! Sincerely,
Renaldo Moore & Ameriitania Staff
Lawrence, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Great Staff. Very Clean. Although the rooms are on the smaller side the décor of the room and bathroom are beaufiful and the bed is very comfortable. The location of this hotel cant be beat. Very close to Times Square and all of the broadway shows.

Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

For us a group of 25 the Hotel was the perfect location and it was nice and clean. Would stay again beds were super comfy. We had such a great trip and were able to walk to Time Square, Central Park plus all the other attractions or we hopped on the Subway. For a larger group it is very convenient and we felt very safe. The rooms do not have a great view but located right beside the famous David Letterman Theatre. Staff were great, doorman/bellman and his partner were very friendly when leaving or going (nice touch Jeff) and looked after our luggage without us worrying the day we were leaving.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It means a lot to us and we will share your positive feedback with our staff. Again, may we wish you safe travels !! Look forward to welcoming you back soon. Sincerely Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff