“First Time to NYC”

Ranked #135 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“First Time to NYC”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Thanks to everyone at Ameritania Hotel for making our first trip to the US a worry free experience. The rooms were clean and well-equipped (the decor is very cool and modern), the staff very friendly, and the location perfect for getting around and seeing all of the sights, with Central Park and Times Square in easy walking distance. Special thanks to Jeff at the front door for helping us to organise our way around the city and to the airport, it was much appreciated.

Room Tip: Street-facing rooms are great. We had a room further up the back, but requested early on to be moved...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Matt T,

Thank you so much for your kind review! I am thrilled to hear that your stay was grand and that Jeff made you feel welcome. I hope that for a future visit to NYC you return to the Ameritania Hotel!

Judson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Overall a friendly hotel in a great location. The back rooms are quiet,we heard no road noise. The room was also relatively large for New York, having stayed at the Hudson and Casablanca prior to this.
If I have one criticism it is the cleanliness, honestly a good Hoover would not go amiss!

There is a great bar next door, "the 3 monkey's".

We would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My girlfriend and I have recently returned from a short break in New York, staying at the Ameritania. This is our first time writing a tripadvisor review but we felt this hotel warranted it. We had a fantastic time, really couldn't fault it, friendly and helpful staff who were able to offer great advise on everything. The hotel knew it was our anniversary and gave us a free room upgrade to an amazing room on the 9th floor with a great view down Broadway. The room we had was very clean and being on the 9th floor it was pretty quiet. Very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. The hotel is in a perfect location for seeing all the sights, would highly recommend the grayline bus tours for getting to the best tourist spots around the city. The staff really make the hotel and the doorman Jamal made our stay even better, always very friendly and offered good advise about were to eat and sorted out a nice car instead of a taxi to take us back to the airport which was a great way to finish the trip. Would highly recommend the hotel to anybody planning a trip to New York and if we ever go we will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Aidan H,

Thank you so much for your great feedback! I am thrilled to know that you chose the Ameritania for such an important occassion. I will surely pass on your compliments to the staff and look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We seem to always stay at Ameritania 54th and Broadway. The hotel is clean neat and comfortable. The location is very convenient. The staff are helpful but not cloying. Linens are nice and bathrooms are plenty big and bright.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mary M,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am glad to know that your stay was great and that the room accomodations met your expectations. Looking forward to your next visit!

Eastern Washington
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We just stayed at the Ameritania during the first week of June, 2013 and it was an amazing experience. The hotel is beautiful, clean and inviting. The staff is very friendly, accomodating and always willing to answer questions and give direction. We walked to Times Square multiple times per day because it is just a few blocks down. The room was amazing. It was a little on the smaller side but very clean, well decorated and modern. Loved it!! I am ready to go back.

I have to say a special thank you to Javier in the bar. He makes great drinks, very friendly and personable. We enjoyed talking to him at night while we enjoyed one of his signature martini's. You have to go meet him, he is great.

One more thing. The bed are incredibly comfortable. I was very impressed with this because usually hotel beds are terrible but I wanted to take this bed home with me.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor which was great for reduced noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear shafferquad,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor! I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and that the room was comfortable. I will surely pass on your great compliments to Javier! Looking forward to your next visit.

Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Ameritania Hotel for 5 nights on my second trip to New York and my first trip travelling alone. I was originally booked at the New Yorker Hotel where I'd stayed on my previous visit but changed hotels at the last minute as colleagues of mine stayed here earlier this year and recommended it to me.

Before my arrival I had emailed the hotel to request a corner room as I'd been told these were slightly bigger than the other rooms. I received a very prompt response from Sylwia advising that although she couldn't guarantee a corner room, she would do her best to accommodate my request and to contact her if I needed any further help. A good start, as I'd emailed the New Yorker hotel about 4 weeks before with some requests and questions, and I'm still awaiting a response from them!

The hotel is right on the corner of Broadway and West 54th Street and although there is a big sign running up the side of the hotel, if you're not looking up then you could miss it like I did. I walked past the hotel about 3 times before realising it was right on the corner and the doormen helped me inside with my case (there are several steps leading up to the hotel so bear this in mind if you arrive late at night or early in the morning when the doormen aren't there). Check-in was very quick and I was soon heading up to the 7th floor where I discovered Sylwia had managed to give me a corner room! The room was a good size for New York and very modern, and the bathroom was also a good size and had the best shower in it that I've ever experienced!

There is a building being refurbished directly opposite the hotel but I actually found the noise from this to be quite minimal, although this may have been because I was out early and back late most days. I must admit that I did find it difficult to adjust to the noise from the street outside and didn't sleep very well the first few nights. I know that hotels close to Times Square will be noisier than those further away, and perhaps because I was on a much higher floor at the last hotel I stayed at made the noise less noticeable, but I did think that the windows could be better soundproofed and much of the noise seemed to come through the air conditioning vent under one of the windows. I also found the general soundproofing of the room not that great, as I could hear all the comings and goings of the lifts which were a good 5 or 6 doors down from me. Not deal breakers by any means, but certainly things to consider if you are a light sleeper.

I asked for directions from the reception desk on several occasions and each time they were friendly, polite and extremely helpful; I felt like nothing was too much trouble for them. In a city that is well-known for its supposedly 'surly' people, I really think the staff at the hotel should be commended as they were first class.

The hotel itself is in a really great location, just a few minutes’ walk from Times Square down Broadway and a few blocks away from Radio City, Rockefeller Centre and 5th Avenue. There are also 3 subway stops within easy reach, and a Starbucks right across the road which was a lifesaver on early mornings!! The hotel is also not far from the Hell’s Kitchen area, just a few blocks from the main avenues and streets so I found I was able to walk to quite a few places very easily. The hotel is next door to where they film the David Letterman show and most mornings I found there were staff outside offering free tickets to the show. I have heard that sometimes these can be hard to get but I guess it depends on who the guests are. Certainly something I would try when I go back next time.

My overall experience of this hotel was absolutely fantastic; I was made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived to the moment I checked out (rather grudgingly too I might add!), the room was a great size, clean and well-kept by the housekeeping staff, who incidentally were also very friendly whenever I did bump into them. The location is excellent, close to many of the local attractions and the rest of Manhattan is easily accessible by taxi, subways and local buses. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again and have already recommended it to several people and will continue to do so!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are supposed to be slightly larger than the other rooms so if you want a bit more space...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steph C
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a 5 star review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations, and your satisfaction is important to us. We hope you will stay with us again next time you visit New York City. Kind Regards,
Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed in room 708 for 2 weeks from 24th May to 7th June. The staff at this hotel are to be praised for their friendliness and professionalism. The ensuite was spacious with a great wet room shower and walk in wardrobe complete with safe.Considering the skyscraper opposite was being refurbished its is actual in a quiet street yet a top location for all the Manhattan major attractions and Broadway shows.
I give the diners and restaurants in Manhattan nil point however not the breakfast at this hotel nor the man who manages it Robert. That is top class. I didn't try their cocktail bar but I am sure it is equally well managed. A very comfortable big bed and very clean. What more could you ask?

Room Tip: my room 708 was on W54th Street not Broadway
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ron R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!