“Location and service are great - room was beyond tiny”
Review of Ameritania Hotel

Ameritania Hotel
Ranked #121 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great - you are right in the middle of everything, but the noise wasn't nearly as bad as with a lot of other hotels in NY. It could be that I was in an internal room facing an alley or courtyard rather than the street. The hotel is very clean, the staff is very responsive and great. I forgot my shoes in the room and the hotel called me back to confirm they had found them and had them at the front desk for me.

The only complaint I have is just the size of the room. I know NY hotel rooms are small, but this was borderline torture. My room was just off the elevator (room 520), and there was barely any room to dress or undress without practically standing on the bed! The bathroom was the real challenge, though. The shower and toilet were both sized appropriately for the space, but there was this massive sink that was way too huge for the space. It was only an inch from the toilet, so you couldn't even sit down without having to lean over into the wall. It was also so deep that I had to open the bathroom door just to have room to do my hair. It stressed me out and if I had been there more than one night, I would have left. I am sure it is just the same sink in the other normal-sized rooms, but they should have sprung for a smaller sink in these tiny rooms to not make your skin crawl from feeling so confined!

Room Tip: Stay away from 520 unless you are alone and only there one night!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and enjoyed the hotel's fantastic location. However, I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your room. 520 is one of our smaller room types - most of our rooms are quite a bit larger and feature a king, queen, or two double beds. I'd like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our Deluxe King rooms during your next visit to New York. Please feel free to email me directly and I'd be happy to assist you with a booking. My email is jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com

Warm Regards,

Judson Trapnell

Write a ReviewReviews (5,664)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Excellent location. One block from the subway. Many restaurants and bars in the area. Close proximity to Lincoln Center which was my evening destination. Hotel staff most courteous and helpful. Especially front desk staff and the doormen. All very knowledgeable about NYC. Early check-in was most appreciated. Hote/rooml decor and cleanliness was above average. Overall great experience!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Tracey,

Thank you for sharing your compliments with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that your stay was an exceptional one and that you were able to enjoy so many of the attractions near the hotel. We hope to have you as our guest during your next visit to New York.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

we have just returned to Denmark after another nice week i NYC, which this time included all six nights at Ameritania (also stayed for 3 nights in 2013). It was again a very pleasant stay with great service from Sylwia Kruk and her dedicated and friendly staff (Monica and others) at the frontdesk - actually once again all the staff made a very good impression! The hotel is very near to Times Square, Central Park and all the other great places. As in 2013 It's a really nice hotel with very good value for money!! :-) Mr. & Mrs.Wiborg from Denmark

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Wiborg,

Thank you for sharing your compliments with us on TripAdvisor! It was such a pleasure to welcome you both back to The Ameritania during your recent visit to New York.

Your feedback and praises of our staff mean the world to us. We all look forward to having you back to your home away from home here in New York.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Most of the bellman were friendly, especially Jalal and Chris. The location of the hotel is excellent, close to the Central Park, Times Square, etc. The only negative point is that it has not free WiFi connection.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Pablo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here at the hotel and that you were able to take advantage of our central location.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Thirty of us including 25 high school students spent 3 nights, 4 days. Between Broadway's Aladdin at the New Amsterdam and then 3 operas at The Met, visit to Juilliard, recital at The NY City Library recital hall and the chance to do some shopping at Columbus Circle Mall, this was a great place to walk from ... And we did! Delis and cafés right around the corner, Europa cafe for breakfast, Pie Face for a quick to go lunch and the deli right out the door for morning coffee, it was just right. Around the corner from the David Letterman Show studio and a few blocks from Time Square. We had a bit of a glitch with one of the rooms and the staff moved the kids right away. No problem. Rooms were super clean, modern decor, comfy (double) beds. Spotless bathroom. Huge mirror, the right amount of floor space meant it was easy for 4 ladies to get ready. Well appointed large lobby with a bar and comfortable seating and meeting areas were appreciated. There were lots of international tour groups, these are large group specialists. Staff were super, and patient with our kids.

Room Tip: Higher up is quieter from outside noise, horns, sirens, etc. Beds are double, we had 4 in our room a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Pat,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We were delighted to have your group with us, and I am so happy to hear that you and the kids enjoyed The Ameritania!

I hope you'll think of us again for your next visit to The Big Apple!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

A good hotel and great location, room just very noisy and road works through the night didn't help. Aircon unit let in a lot of noise from the street and the unit itself was noisy if you had to leave it on while sleeping as quite warm in the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear HolidayGoerScotland,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear that your experienced a lot of street noise during your stay. Just because New York is the city that never sleeps, doesn't mean you shouldn't!

We look forward to welcoming you back to New York here at The Ameritania in the near future. Please feel freet contact me or our Front Office team directly, and we will ensure that you are in a quiet room.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights. Cool lobby/ bar area and good welcome from the front desk.

Rooms are small, though vary quite a bit and the standard rooms seem to be bigger the lower down you stay. Bed was super comfy and had everything i needed...apart from lack of plugs and strange plugs in the lights by the bed, which seemed liked a safety hazard. Room was a bit noisy...door slamming, noise outside and maids walking in unannounced and too early.

My room door was very insecure and raised this and they promised to fix but didn't...i noted all doors were a security risk (could be opened with a hard kick!)
Gym is not good and breakfast looked reasonable for the price.

Worst of all, the internet is not free...this always puts me off returning.

Location - good to be near park but not best area of New York....too many people

All in all reasonable stay, made better by friendly front desk.

May go back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Judson_Trapnell, Rooms Director at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear copperbottom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm sorry that you found your room to be noisy. I have shared your experience with the rest of my management team and we will be sure to address your concerns.

We all take a great deal of pride in providing the best service to our guests, and am happy to hear that you were pleased with your interaction with our front desk team. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can assist you with a future reservation. I will see to it that we accomodate you in a quiet room and make your stay a memorable one.

Rooms Director