“There are better”

Ranked #135 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“There are better”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I arrived in New York 6.00pm after a flight from Los Angeles tired and hungry [no food on flight from L A] ask if I could get some food sent to my room, told sorry room service closed but there are plenty of restaurants close by.

Room was clean but do wonder when as a single traveler I was given a room with two queen beds in a very small room and as for the bathroom impossible I am 6' 4" & 260 lb and trying to use a bathroom that would be a bit small for Twiggy, I had problems.

I made the mistake of drinking the bottle of Fiji Water before I saw that it was going to cost me $7.00, went to shop around the corner and got the same bottle of water for $1.49 so took it back and replaced it with the one I drank.

I was book in by my Travel Agent for three nights before going to Washington for a visit before returning to NYC, different Hotel which was way better all round.

I would not recommend this Hotel to traveler

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Wiperman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to hear that you were told room service was not available at the time of your arrival. In fact, we have 24-hour room service, so I am not sure why you were told that.

I do hope you will give The Ameritania another try the next time you are in New York. I'd like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our Deluxe King rooms, based on availability for your next stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com and I'd be happy to assist you.

Judson Trapnell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Excellent location and very helpful staff. Room and bathroom are on the small side but clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable. The doormen were extremely helpful and offered to phone our Shuttle taxi when it was running late picking us up to go back to the airport.
My room on the 4th floor was rather noisy because of the traffic on 54 Street and the AC so if you're a light sleeper bring earplugs. I had asked for a quite room but didn't get one...
Ifr you're a runner it might be good to know that it's very close to Central Park and a few blocks away from the Hudson River, both great places to go for a run in the morning. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear runner g,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our central location and proximity to Central Park for running.

I am sorry that we were unable to honor your request for a quiet room. In the future, please feel free to contact me directly at jtrapnell@ameritanianyc.com and I will do my best to ensure you have a quiet room.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Fort Myers
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Excellent place - right in the heart of it all! The rooms are comfortable and clean - the shower was outstanding - and the staff was friendly and helpful. We will definitely be returning for another stay at the Ameritania Hotel on our next visit to NYC!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your compliments! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited ameritania hotel for five nights last week with friends who hadnt been to new york before. I would agree with most of the positive comments already given so far, ie. rooms are clean and well furnished, bathrooms very good, also front desk staff very friendly, however we did encounter a couple of issues that we feel could have been avoided. Firstly we booked our stay as two couples with two rooms, on arrival we were put on 3rd floor and our friends on 8th, we were moved on request so that was ok. secondly, the concierge at front desk booked us show tickets to see mowtown the musical on broadway, our reciept said we had paid $140 for two tickets but on arriving home and checking our credit card statements, both us and our friends had been charged 2x$140, so paid double !! ( we checked at the theatre how much our seats were and they told us $70 each ) Do not ask the concierge to book tickets for you ! The bar in the hotel lobby was closed friday and saturday night as the barman was ill, ive never stayed in a hotel where the bar is closed before.
The last 'problem' we had was the taxi that was ordered by the ameritania doorman when we left to go home.( we had no problem on arrival at jfk as we just got a fixed price yellow cab for the four of us, $59 plus tip.) we had asked for another yellow cab as was fine on arriving, but a black car turned up, boot wasnt big enough for four cases so my husband had to sit with one case on his lap in the front!! the driver asked us to pay the road toll $7.50, which we did, then asked us for$65 plus a tip when we got to the airport. we gave him $60. In spite of these things we still had a great time in new york, and would stay at the ameritania again as overall it was enjoyable.

Dear GandT14,

Thank you for telling us about your experience here at The Ameritania. I apologize for the confusion with the cost of your Broadway tickets. I spoke with our concierge team and was informed that the performance you wanted to see was sold out, so in order to secure tickets, it was necessary to pay more than the face value. (We never up-charge the ticket prices and always confirm the price with our guests prior to purchasing). Your friends that paid $70 for their tickets likely bought them very early or on a pre-sale. Anyway, I'm sorry that you felt mislead and I want to assure you that this is not the practice of our hotel.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just got back from a week in the Ameritania Hotel and loved our stay! We arrived late at night but the very friendly receptionist was very quick to get us our roomkey. Our bags were brought to the room by the doorman. Unfortunately it turned out we got a room next to the ventilator shaft, which was very noisy (1022). The next day we requested for another room and that was no problem at all. Our new room was quiet and spacious (315). We had enough room to place both of our bags open on the floor. The bed was awesome, so comfortable. The room was clean, no complaints at all!

Most memorable was the staff. The receptionists were very friendly and the doormen were great! They would inform us enthousiastically about all the things we could do in the city, the underground, shopping, everything! However the biggest surprise came when we left. We had asked the doorman to arrange a taxi to bring us to the airport, instead he arranged a limo! Such a nice and awesome surprise, it blew us away! Especially since this was our honeymoon, we left NY in style!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank franwam
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear franwam,

Thank you for sharing your kind remarks. We are delighted that you chose The Ameritania for your honeymoon; it was our pleasure to have you as guests!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the surprise limousine that our expert doorman arranged for you. We look forward to seeing you both again during your next trip to NYC.

Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We spent the start of a 6 week vacation to Europe at the Ameritania Hotel in NYC Mother's Day weekend. We booked this hotel based on the positive trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Since we were celebrating our 20th anniversary we were upgraded to a corner suite with a bottle of champagne waiting!

The rooms were large, clean, recently updated to a modern chic image!

We were pleased with the location - corner of 54th and Broadway just 5 blocks from Time Square.

They had a breakfast area with everything you needed to start your day for a small cost!

Renaldo and the entire front desk staff were a pleasure!

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner king room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Floridawillsgirl
Dear Floridawillsgirl,

Thank you for the lovely review! I am delighted that you chose to stay at The Ameritania Hotel to celebrate your special occasion. We really enjoy being a part of your New York City experience and hope that we can contribute to many more fond memories in the future.

Warm Regards,

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Clean and nicely decorated the rooms were small however having not been to New York before this may be typical of the cities hotels. It has a fantastic location to both Times Square and Central Park. Staff, in particular the door men were friendly and being on our honeymoon there was a bottle of fizz waiting for us in our room which was a lovely surprise and very thoughtful. Would definitely stay again if in the City.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Lou T,

Thank you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us! We hope you will think of us for your next visit to New York.