“Bed Bugs! Poor response killed this otherwise great hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Ranked #145 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bed Bugs! Poor response killed this otherwise great hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This used to be my favorite hotel in the City...in midtown, next to subway and a supermarket plus the best Hilton Diamond breakfast in the chain; and all at a reasonable price. It was all ruined when I received the most callous and poor service after being bitten all over my bed bugs. The infestation was awful, but the hotel first tried to make me prove that it happened there and then only offered an apology. No offers on how to properly clean my clothes, to take care of any medical expenses--not even an offer to discount the room. The superviser said I would have to take it up with hotel administration. Only after contacting Hilton HHonors customer service did I receive a response from the hotel...an offer to send a discount certificate on a future stay. Really? Incidentally, it still hasn't come.

Needless to stay, not only will I never stay there again, but I actively encourage others not too.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
10 Thank M_and_C_Power
LauraMaldonado, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear M_and_C_Power,

We apologize for any poor and delayed response to you initial concern last October. We have built a reputation for excellent service and hope you can give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. We have been searching hotel records and Hilton Guest Assistance (Customer Service) records for any reference of a similar complaint from last Fall, but have been unable to locate anything.

We can assure you that the management of the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square takes bedbug reports very seriously. Upon any complaint, we immediately dispatch our Housekeeping Manager to thoroughly inspect the room for any evidence of bugs. We also contact our exterminating service, Ecolab, to inspect the room that same day.

The hotel takes a variety of preventative measures for these issues. We have a full scale care program with Ecolab. We regularly train our staff in the early detection of any such concern. We also contract a certified K-9 program with bed bug detecting dogs. This service inspects every guest room several times a year as a precautionary measure.

If you could kindly contact the hotel we would like to make us your favorite NYC hotel once again.

Timothy Dowd, General Manager
212-581-7000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kensington, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stayed here before. Always have people in front to help you out. Very secure place. It is on 8th avenue so not as great an Avenue as others if you know New York, but with other NY hotels costing over $600 a night - this is a great choice. Room is good size lobby is small but has cool litte French Restaurant attached and Bikram Yoga studio directly across the street.

I also checked out but unfortunately left my sunglasses in the room Came back at 3:00pm thinking I would never see them again which sometimes happens in hotels. Talked to Nicole who went up to housekeeping and retrieved my sunglasses!! Very Thankful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NeedRelaxin
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We have just returned from a three night stay, and rate this hotel very highly. It is in a great location, close to restaurants and theatres, and central to Manhattan. Rooms are a very good size for New York, and are well equipped-coffee makers, fridges and microwaves. Staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly. It's just two blocks from a subway station at 50th street.We felt that hotel prices were reasonable, and would definitely consider staying again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank music9di
Jared M, Guest Experience Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Dear music9di,

We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We truly value each and every review we receive.

It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Hilton Garden Inns naturally promote comfort and convenience for an overall great experience. It is great to know that our great location made your own experience even better!

I am also glad to know our front desk staff was warm and helpful. We strive to exceed every guest’s expectation of our hotel!

The next time you stay with us please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival. We look forward to having you again in the near future!

Warm Regards,

Jared Miners
Guest Experience Manager
(212) 581-7000
jared.miners@hilton.com
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

This is one of the more affordable places to stay near Times Square, you can walk 5 minutes and be in the heart of Time Square. Or take a couple of minutes and walk the other direction to be in Central Park. The subway and busses are nearby but if you like to walk, many areas are within walking distance. The staff is pretty good and cleanliness of the rooms is good too, they had a renovation a couple of years ago. This was my 5th time staying at this place, so it's obvious they are doing a good job to me!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a better view facing outward.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joeyscro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I am a person that travels all over the world. I stay in hotels 2 weeks a month. This hotel by far has the best staff...period. I never came across a nicer more helpful group of people in my life. They truly will go out of thier way to make sure your stay is the best ever.the front desk staff and bell men were great. I met Rob who is the gentleman who greets you at the door. I can't say enough about this person. All I can say is Hilton is very lucky to have him as part of the team. From the friendly greeting to helping with directions to reccomending restaurants that are not tourist traps. He really shows his concerns for the
guests. He made my trip to NYC a trip I would not forget. He even offered me a special discounted rate to come back to NYC and see they new timeshare Hilton has. I found my new home in NYC, thanks to Rob.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Abc12332
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Absolutely the best location to explore NYC. Spent a week there in August 2011 and had a blast. Hotel was clean, staff was friendly and efficient. Restaurant was good, but there are tons of places in the city to eat that are only a few steps away. Nice organic grocery store across the street, easy access to subways, Broadway shows. Room was clean, cleaned daily, comfy bed, great TV and can't beat free internet/wi-fi in the room. Room on 11th floor was quiet at night and street noise was not loud enough to disturb my sleep. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JLA_11
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed at this property for 3 nights over the 9-11 weekend. The property is a good location, close to subway locations and theatre district, and staff was nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business