We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn – New York Times Square for six nights during a leisure trip. This was our second trip to New York City, and we stayed just down the street at the Hampton Inn last time....so we already knew we liked the area.
The hotel had a great pre arrival experience for Gold and Diamond HHonors members. They reached out to see if we had any special requests (Diamond) and provided the requested high floor room with a view. We were on the tenth floor overlooking 8th Avenue. The check in process was quick and efficient. They forgot to give us our breakfast coupons and when we asked for them they said they would put them under our door overnight which they did. They also did not provide the normal welcome bottles of water, but we received a welcome basket the next night that had water and some nice snacks.
Most of the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We never used the concierge, as the front desk was more readily available, and friendlier. There was one front desk guy during the day that was lackluster at his best moment, but the rest of the staff was great...especially the daytime ladies.
There were cookies available in the lobby on weeknights (not weekends). They had coffee and tea available in the lobby till ten in the morning. Most Hilton Garden Inn’s have coffee and tea available 24-7, so this was a letdown when we came in late or slept in. They did not even keep the coffee out as late as breakfast hours, and the hot water was out several times. Also, they do not provide USA Today unless you go to the front desk and ask. That is quite a downgrade from delivering them to the room. These are really the only two things that were lackluster at the hotel, but they should really consider updating this.
On the first floor is business center with four pc’s and a printer. Since we were bike riding around New York, running in Central Park, and doing lots of walking, we did not check out the fitness center. The ground level lobby is small but does have seating. The elevators are not secured by key card, but they do have security at night that requests to see your key before going to the elevators.
The restaurant and bar is located on to the side of the lobby. As HHonors Diamond members the breakfast was included. We were offered our choice of the buffet or ordering off the menu. We split our days by ordering off the menu some days and eating the buffet other days. The buffet was much more limited than most Hilton Garden Inn’s (no eggs to order, no omelets, limited pastry and juices) but the touch of allowing us to order off the menu was a nice touch that made up for the limited buffet variety. Though the breakfast was free to us, it was something like $19 per person if you were paying....I would recommend walking a block or so and grabbing breakfast elsewhere if paying. The tables were rather cramped, and the staff ranged from excellent to barely passable.
The room we had was a typical King room with a nice work desk, ergonomic chair, sleep number bed, (I am not a fan of the sleep number, but that's a different conversation), and a comfortable chair. The room is of nice size for New York, and never felt cramped for two people. The rooms have nice HDTV’s. All rooms have a microwave and refrigerator and a comfortable climate control system. The AC blower can be left on for white noise. The rooms were spotless, smelled fresh and had nice pillows (feather). We had a bit of a challenge getting foam pillows the first night but when we persisted, they finally found some...somewhere and were friendly about it. The curtains do an nice job of blocking out light. We had nearly no noise from the city, other than the occasional siren.
The area has every type of dining and entertainment option you could ask for all within easy walking distance. Head across 8th and you are a block from Hells Kitchen. Also, Social Bar across the street had good drinks, reasonable prices, casual food, and friendly staff. The hotel has a rooftop bar, but the drinks are crazy expensive and the place appears to be very pretentious....not worth the visit! Central Park, Times Square, Broadway Theatres, multiple subway lines, Fifth Avenue, Diamond District, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center,etc....all within a very easy walk.
We would absolutely recommend this location and would stay here again if we wanted to stay in the area for a personal trip. Room rates seemed appropriate for the area, especially with our corporate discount. Having also stayed at the nearby Hampton Inn in the past, I would feel comfortable choosing either of these hotels based on who has the best price at the time. All of these are very nice options and similar in their offerings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prime Times Square location with COMPLIMENTARY amenities including Internet, fitness center, business center & more! Hilton Garden Inn Times Square is a modern hotel with best Times Square location that is steps from Broadway theaters, Restaurant Row, TKTS discount theater ticket booth, famous 42nd Street and much more. Located on Eighth Avenue at 48th Street in the heart of Times Square, the hotel is in the midst of New York City’s best restaurants, lively nightlife, sightseeing and shopping. Hilton Garden Inn Times Square is walking distance to all major subway lines, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, the Museum of Modern Art, Jacob Javits Convention Center and Port Authority Bus Terminal plus is convenient to all (3) area airports.The hotel features 369 oversized, contemporary-styled guestrooms each equipped with 32-inch LCD flat panel television, refrigerator, microwave, safe, coffeemaker large work desk with ergonomic chair and complimentary Internet access with secure remote printing to the hotel’s Business Center. COMPLIMENTARY amenities include high-speed lobby and guestroom Internet access, 24-hour Business Center, 24-hour Fitness Center, morning coffee and tea in the lobby and USA Today®. Additional onsite amenities include Pigalle Restaurant and Lounge (a 1950’s style Paris café that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner), XVI Rooftop Lounge (the only Hilton Garden Inn in Manhattan with a rooftop bar!), evening room service, 24-hour Pavilion Pantry (stocked with your favorite snacks, drinks & toiletries) and Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self parking is available. The hotel allows service pets. 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Hotel New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn Manhattan
- Hilton New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn New York
- Times Square Hilton Garden Inn
- New York City Hilton