“loved it!”

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Ranked #142 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Great hotel, excellent location - only two minutes walk from Times Square. The rooms are clean and spacious. Charming and courteous staff. If you are looking for a place to stay at a reasonable cost this is your place. I am sure I will be back again in the future..

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank noa_an
Write a ReviewReviews (7,531)

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Have stayed here a number of times, and this hotel feels old, we used our Hhonors points, just can't believe the price they would have charged. The rooms in the Doubletree in Times Square are so much nicer and often slightly cheaper. We even paid a $5 a night upgrade, which gave us a street view, but was hardly what they called "A deluxe room." On the plus side, the reception and door staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Take an upgrade, otherwise you could be looking at the backs of buildings
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
LauraMaldonado, Guest Experience Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear JstarkScotland,

As a loyal Hilton Honors member and Trip advisor user thank you for taking the time to share with us details about your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. I am delighted to know the team made a great impression with their friendliness and helpfulness. We are all about our team and how they make our hotel feel like a "home away from home".

I know that you mentioned the rate being very high for the days you were here and the room being below expectations. I can understand why you felt our rooms being different from the Doubletree Times Square. They have all suite rooms and we only have standard room on the property. In regards to the rate, as a full service property they will always have a higher rate. In the future please feel free to contact me directly to review the rates being offered. I will be happy to give you different options and help you choose the best rate for you.

I hope you choose to stay with us in the near future and give us an opportunity to make your stay Perfect.

Director of Guest Experience

Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was my first trip to NYC and I always try to stay at the Hilton brands. I knew it would be a great visit when I got an email from the hotel telling about the hotel and the accommodations. Then I simply asked if upgrades were available and the did upgrade me to a corner room with a view. Once I arrived I was welcomed in my room by a snack bag and a welcoming note. Room was quite large and very convenient to where I needed to be and to Time Square. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again hands down.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jamiec79
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights last weekend. Location wise it's excellent - near Times Square and a myriad of restaurants on 8th Avenue. My room on the 10th floor was spacious for NYC, and of the standard you would expect from a Hilton property. I had a nice view of 8th Ave and surrounding area. A refrigerator came in handy and there was an ice machine just a few doors down. I had two staff experiences worth sharing, one good one not so. To get the bad one out of the way, when checking out I asked the Bellman to store my cases and also order me a cab to the airport for later that day. He took care of the bags but said I should ask about the cab when i came back for them - a guy called Ken would look after that for me. I duly returned to find that Ken knew about my requirement for a cab but had not booked one and he could not understand why the earlier shift had not done that for me...and when he rang, there were no cabs available ! So he ended up hailing one in the street which wound up costing me $100 to Newark which I'm sure was a rip-off. Love to know how much a pre booked can would have cost.

The good experience was when a front of house guy called Ennio not only recommended a local bar ( House of Brews ! ), but insisted in walking us to it, a couple of blocks away from the hotel. When I told him about how much we were enjoying our stay, he was genuinely delighted to hear it....he is a first rate ambassador for the hotel and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves for it !

To sum up, I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to New York

2  Thank HOVEEAGLE
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear HOVEEAGLE,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We are very proud to know that you highly recommend our hotel. There is no better compliment!

As the Director of Guest Experience, I want to discuss with you details about your positive and negative experience with our Bellmen Team. To get the negative out of the way as you mentioned, NYC yellow cabs do not make scheduled appointments. They are hailed in the street. I am thinking you are referring to a car service which in that case we can book in advance. I have communicated with the team the importance of being more specific and detailed when assisting guests to avoid confusion. They are committed to making it right and improving. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to address this situation and making sure it does not happen to another guest.

On the positive side, I shared your review with Ennio yesterday and he was surprised and grateful for your mention. Ennio is a superstar team member and we are proud to have him. I will personally make sure he gets a nice incentive and lot of recognition.

Again, thank you for your amazing feedback!

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square

Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. The rooms are quiet, clean and spacious. I like that they include a microwave, mini fridge and an in-room safe. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a gift shop / pantry in the lobby with an ATM.

As Hilton Honor Diamond members, we received vouchers for breakfast in Pigalle’s each morning (restaurant next door to the hotel). They have an ample buffet, and if you can get a window seat, the people-watching is great!

In the evening walk around the corner to Da Marino (220 W. 49th St) for delicious Italian fare and entertainment, or stop by Lillie’s (249 W 49th St) for drinks in a beautiful Victorian atmosphere.

2  Thank mjames
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Great location for all things Times Square; shopping, restaurants, night life. Clean, comfortable, and helpful staff. Breakfast buffet was good, but expensive at $26. Probably better off finding a near by deli for breakfast. As with most downtown NYC hotels, quite pricey but worth it for the convenience.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a bit more spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I am NEVER the one to place the race card ever. I am Mixed black 25% white 50% native 25% American, I grew up with a large loving white side and black side color was never a issue. I have stayed at the Hilton garden before, my experience there was great! No issues no complaints. I stayed there a second time this past weekend with my boyfriend and his friend and his girl friend. I knew from the jump how people can be so I was going to have them come to the back when they arrived, sad that I wouldn’t even have to think this way. When I checked in I had my college sweat shirt on nice pair of jeans and shoes. His friend had a wife beater on with tattoos he is white his girlfriend black, they didn’t have a bag to place there clothes in so they used a trash bag. I knew the look of them in general they would be judged sad people are this way they are two people with amazing hearts and come from great families so they don’t have all the money in the world does this really matter? It was a weekend to get away and have a good time and I wanted to make sure to show them one. When they arrived they ended up going through the front I already had a very bad feeling about it like I stated they came up to the room and my boyfriend and I had been snacking but his friends girlfriend was pregnant and the smell was really making her sick! I lit a incent and burned it halfway just to mask the smell. We weren't smoking in the hotel so I really honestly didn’t see the problem. We only had one smoker in the group that did go outside when he needed. We left to go grab dinner and catch a movie at 7, when we came back to the room we had messages on our phone and their phone the rooms were right next to each other. The messages stated that "they received several complaints of a burnings smell coming from our rooms and to please not do that if we had any questions to contact the front desk". This just made my stomach hurt first off my room wasn’t near another rooms just who we were with and we burned Half not even a whole incent and on top of it my boyfriend and I burned incents and candles before when we stayed again with ZERO ISSUE! It’s a comfort for me something I do at home. I knew right away how this weekend would go. I didn’t bother to get back to the front desk I just stayed away from the hotel as much as possible at night we were quiet and low key again she is pregnant so we laid around and just talk and went to bed both nights at 10pm! Sunday when it was time to check out woke up at 7am made the bed placed all towels under the sink in the bathroom aired out both rooms and sprayed glade just to make it fresh made sure all trash was in the trash everything was perfectly clean and fine. I knew I just knew I was going to be charged sure enough Monday comes around I was charged 50$ for each room!!! For what reason! I am a 26 year old grown women who is working on her bachelors in social work I know more then anyone what's going on here. Ive already made the decision to never stay here again. I am a responsible respectful person with a huge heart and it hurts to know people are still this way, no worries Hilton and Garden you wont have to "deal" with us ever again!

3  Thank kathryn r
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear kathryn r,

As the Director of Guest Experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square I want to take a moment to discuss in more detail your recent experience with us. I would like to be clear that we are very proud of our diverse team and that being located in the heart of Times Square gives us an opportunity to welcome guests from all parts of the world. Racial profiling is not how we run our operation.

As part of the check in process every guest is asked to provide a credit card for incidentals. We place a $50 hold per night on the account to open a line of credit and give guests access to order room service, movies, make phone calls, etc. Upon check out any additional amount being held is released. This is not a cleaning/ smoking fee and it is applied to every guest.

I understand that you want to relax during your visit and incense can be very soothing. Unfortunately, our property is 100% smoke free and we have signs displayed throughout the hotel to remind guests. If we receive any reports of odor we immediately call the rooms in the area to remind the guests of our policy. In addition, incense can be a fire hazard and safety is our priority.

Please keep in mind that both instances are not issues that apply to you or your friends in particular but that affect all guests. I am always available to be of further assistance.

Director of Guest Experience