“The Front Desk Staff Let Them Down, Otherwise It's A Decent Hotel...”

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Ranked #153 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London
“The Front Desk Staff Let Them Down, Otherwise It's A Decent Hotel...”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Myself and my colleague booked this Hilton for two nights in September.
I booked it via Expedia, and got a good rate.

I have a Hilton Honours Diamond card and I was a little bit miffed at how negative, perhaps even bordering on rude, the front desk clerk was about us having booked via Expedia, and because we had my Diamond card counted for nothing.
I wasn't looking for points, but a smile and a "Sir, we've given you a nice room", (even if they haven't!), wouldn't have been difficult for the snooty man.

That aside, this is a nice hotel.
The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable.
There was a fridge in the room too, and I think there was also a microwave oven.

The hotel is well placed for Times Square and we were able to walk to lots of good bars and restaurants.

There is a fire house nearby, and they were letting folk sit in the engines to get their picture taken.
If you stay there you should check it out.
The guys are really nice, and I salute them for doing such an amazing job!

This hotel isn't at the top of my NYC list, but there is nothing wrong with it.
I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Travelling_Scot_10
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Travelling_Scot_10,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square during you September visit to the Big Apple! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the condition of our rooms and the location of our hotel. We are certainly proud to be the neighbors of the amazing FDNY Ladder 4.

Our Hilton Honors program is a great way to reward our guests for their loyalty. Unfortunately by booking with Expedia we are not able to honor the benefits because the room was paid with them. However, I have GREAT NEWS! Hilton will match the rate for you, that way you can enjoy the low rate and the benefits of our reward program.

Although there is never a second chance for a great first impression I am committed to make your next stay a wonderful one. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of additional service.

Kind regards,

Laura Maldonado
Rooms Division Manager
212-581-7000
laura.maldonado@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I just returned from 6 days in New York City. I went for an early birthday celebration. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. The hotel couldn't have been better. From the time I arrived until I left I was treated with warmth, respect and kindness. The room was a great size (especially based on NYC hotels). I want to especially thank Carolina Torres and Laura Maldonado for their kindness and "hospitality". The entire staff was exceptional - the bellmen were friendly and when asked "hailed" a cab for me. When I left in the morning they spoke to me and when I returned at night I was greeted with a smile. Also, there was a staff member close to the elevator ensuring only hotel guests were entering the elevator. Although the hotel isn't in a bad part of town this was very nice touch. The hotel is located in a wonderful location. It is close to the theatres and restaurants. It is only about one block from Times Square. I ate in the onsite restaurant several times for breakfast and lunch. The food and service were quite good.
I will definitely stay at this hotel again when I go back to NYC. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Fort Collins
Reviewed 9 May 2013

All the staff were pleasant, appreciative of my business, polite, and professional. Charles was very attentive and made my night with his friendliness. The room was very comfortable, plenty of room especially for a city hotel. Multiple power outlets easy to access for my electronic accessories. I've stayed in a few other hotels lately where that was not the case.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
columbus
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for business twice a month for the last five years. They have the friendliest desk staff - Noemi, Joanna, Estella and bellmen - Charles etc. Laura, the guest services manager, is fabulous. The location is great. The rooms are a nice size for NYC and the renovations are beautiful. Love the beds. I also appreciate the business center.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
SF
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I was staying here because i wanted to be in relative walking distance from Times Square, Central Park and One Penn/Madison.

One block away from the tip of Times Square, nice morning walk (6 blocks) to columbus circle and 8 or so to penn.
Clean hotel, the room we had the AC seemed a bit loud but still slept through it. Bathrooms are small but it is NY. All in all a great stay.

On a busy street with some realy late pizza joints around - the side roads to get to the other streets might seem a bit seedy at times of night (i'm from suberbia)

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jf005
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We travelled in January and I must admit when we pulled up outside the hotel i was a little worried as it didn't look as fancy as other Hiltons we had stayed in, but just shows you that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and although the room was a little dated it was clean and we hardly spent any time in there anyway.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, just a short walk and your in the centre of all the action with a tour bus stop minutes away.
The Staff are extremely helpful and very friendly and as we arrived early evening and decided to get our bearings the concierge mapped out a walking route for us that took about an hour full circle. This was great and really set us off for our adventures the next day as we had already found major tourist points from our evening stroll.
We booked bed and breakfast and you are given vouchers to use in the adjoining Pigalle restaurant and you can choose from an extensive buffet, including porridge, pancakes, eggs and fruit or pay extra for things off the menu. we found the buffet had plenty to choose from and was definitely worth booking before we went. There is a Starbucks 2 Min's walk from the hotel though if you prefer.
We used the gym every morning and although it is only small it was usually empty so a good addition for us.
Overall we would go back to this hotel, as it was very conveniently located, the staff were friendly and it was clean. You don't spend much time there anyway as the trip to New York is all about getting out and about.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank samiejo66
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn is in the perfect location for lots of sightseeing in NYC. It's within easy walking distance of theaters, Times Square, the subway and so many great restaurants. Three of us split a king room with a pull-out bed. With the extra space taken up with the pull-out the room got a little tight and the bathroom wasn't extra large but sufficient. Take caution if you're a light sleeper. There is a fire station on the same block and they sounded the siren while coming and going especially at night. There was renovations going on at the time of our stay but I didn't even notice it.

Room Tip: Higher off the street the less noise you'll encounter. 14th floor was great and had a western f...