“great 4 night stay @ Thanksgiving”

Ranked #153 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Massillon, Ohio
“great 4 night stay @ Thanksgiving”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during Thanksgiving week. We loved everything about our stay and we will be staying here when we return to NYC. We had a room on the 12th floor with a view of 8th ave. We attended the Macys Parade which was an easy walk from the hotel. All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. Housekeeping was excellent. We had no complaints. And I'd like to thank Joanna for leaving a card and cupcakes for my friend as I requested, much appreciated. Also, we got a goodie bag because we were their guests of the day. Thank you Hilton Garden Inn :)

Room Tip: 12th floor facing 8th ave. quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
TennileB, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Susan S,

WOW!!! It appears as if you absolutely saw our beautiful city in all it's splendor. Thank you for your great comments, I am glad that after a very busy and exciting day touring and exploring our great city, we were able to warmly welcome you back to your temporary home away from home.

We look forward to your return, please feel free to contact me upon your next visit if I can be of any assistance.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291 tennile.boyd@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Louisville, United States
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I admit it...I'm a bit of hotel snob. I love everything from trendy boutique stays to grand traditional spaces. But, for my money and the ease of it, I genuinely enjoy Hilton Garden Inn in TS. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are comfortable and quiet, and Pigalle is not what you think of when you think "hotel restaurant." It's delightful. I will stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Dana S
TennileB, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hi Dana S,

Thank you for your kind words, we are humbled and extremely appreciative of your high praise. I am glad that the hotel and the services of Pigalle met your expectations and added ease and comfort to your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you back to NYC.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291
tennile.boyd@hilton.com |
Henley on Thames
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I fear that this place is by no means Excellent or even Very Good. It is in a reasonable location on 8th Avenue a few blocks south of Central Park and not far from Times Square, though the immediate area is somewhat scruffy. We found the reception staff less than charming, though the exception was the tall man who looked after the luggage for us when we left and who was very pleasant and helpful. He seriously merits promotion to manager. The room was big and clean though in rather drab browns and beiges. The real problem was the noise. The building seems to be badly built. The whole structure reverberates noisily when a subway train goes by, which is very frequently. We had a room at the front and the noise from 8th was not adequately excluded by the double glazing. And lastly, the room walls seemed paper thin. We were kept awake by the couple on one side when trying to sleep and woken up by children on the other side at 6.00 am in the morning. We did not eat there. Plenty of reasonable diners are nearby. We would not go back.

Room Tip: Take a room at the back. Grim view, but quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Joanna B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Freeman1948,
I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. Reading your comments I am sad to learn that we were not able to create a memorable stay for you. It is really disappointing that the hotel and our desk staff what not what you expected and that the noise was a major disturbance. NYC is a city that never sleeps and our hotel is located in a central location where busy theater district neighborhood and the vibe of the city might be noisy if you are not used to it. I wish you would give us a chance to rectify all those problems during your stay and turn things around for you.
I hope that maybe in the future you will give us another chance to make up for this experience. I encourage you to contact me directly on your next trip to NYC if you decide to stay with us again.
Joanna Butcher
Guest Experience Manager
joanna.butcher@hilton.com
646-710-5713
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We (me, my wife, 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter) stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn TImes Square for four nights based on the positive Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel was exactly what we wanted - a convenient and clean place to sleep and shower in between seeing all the sites in NYC. Below is a summary of our experience at the hotel:

LOCATION: The hotel is conveniently located in midtown Manhattan and is a block or two from Times Square, the Theatre District and the subway. It is also close to many restaurants, including the Food Emporium (a convenience store-like restaurant with prepared foods and groceries).

ROOM: Our 5th floor room was slightly smaller than the usual Hampton Inn (our typical choice of hotel), which we expected in NYC. The room was quiet, the beds were very comfortable, the shower pressure was excellent, the HVAC responsive and the free wi-fi greatly appreciated.

SERVICE: We were pleasantly surprised by how good the service was at the hotel. We arrived at 11:45am from the airport and they were prepared to let us check in. We did not want the room they offered (next to the elevator), thus we put our luggage in storage and toured Central Park. Upon returning at 3pm, we checked into our room (away from the elevator). We also experienced great service when requesting a late check-out (1pm), with storing our luggage a second time and when inquiring about staying an additional night due to inclement weather. The doorman (Charles) was particularly helpful and charming as he entertained as we waited for our taxi to take us back to the airport.

EATING: The hotel does not include a free breakfast unless you are a gold or platinum Hilton Honors member. We did not mind as we wanted to sample the various bakeries in the neighborhood. Nearby restaurants included the aforementioned Food Emporium (one block), Carve (great deli-like breakfast two blocks away), Pongsri (nice Thai restaurant one block away), Patzeria (tiny takeout Italian three blocks away) and Tony Di Napoli (more formal family style Italian six blocks away). We never did eat at the hotel's restaurant, which looked nice. Lastly, the hotel offers free starbucks coffee in the lobby and there are two Starbucks within two blocks of the hotel.

GYM: The hotel had a modest gym that included two ellipticals, two treadmills, dumbbells and a mat for stretching.

CLEANLINESS: The hotel's overall cleanliness was acceptable. Our room was spotless and always serviced nicely every day by housecleaning. The lobby was also well maintained. The only shortcoming was dirty floor mats in the elevators that needed to be vacuumed.

BUSINESS CENTER: The hotel had a small business center with four computers with internet connection, a printer and a copier.

SUMMARY: This is a great hotel for visitors seeking a clean and convenient stay at a reasonable cost. We will stay here again if we ever visit NYC in the future.

2 Thank ChristopherTschieder
Hi ChristopherTschieder,

Many thanks for your glowing review. I am delighted to know that you found your accommodations comfortable and clean and the staff especially Charles to be friendly and helpful. We want our guests to be happy and I am glad we accomplished this goal during your stay.

We look forward to your return.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291 tennile.boyd@hilton.com |
Erie, PA
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is a great hotel at a reasonable price, especially considering its excellent location near Times Square and the theater district. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and very helpful. Our room was immaculate and fairly spacious by NYC standards. The hotel has lovely restaurant which was a bit pricey but well within the range of usual prices for food in New York. We've visited New York multiple times and this was overall the best hotel we've found.

1 Thank ewebb50
Hi ewebb50,

We are delighted and honored that you consider us to be the best hotel that you've visited in NYC thus far. We want our guests to enjoy themselves and I am glad that we accomplished this goal during your time with us. I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back on your return trips.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291
tennile.boyd@hilton.com
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 27 November 2013

great location.2 blocks from all the action.Good bagel shop 3 blocks up, and a very good salad bar(carve) which is 2 blocks down.The hotel is clean and has large rooms by New York standards.They answered our request by allocating us on the 8th floor, and arrived with cup cakes and a card for birthday wishes.well done to the client liason officer.I would highly recommend and would stay here again.

Room Tip: as high as possible with a view of the river
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
TennileB, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Good Day kevin s,

Happy Belated Birthday!! I am glad that we were able to accommodate your requests and make your day as special and memorable as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you back and calling you our guest once again.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291 tennile.boyd@hilton.com |
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

My mum & I had 9 nights stay here & we loved staying here!! The staff were very friendly & our room was very spacious & clean! The housekeeping staff were very pleasant & friendly too. It's in a fantastic location, just minutes walk to Times Square & subways are just around the corner. We have been to NY many times before (we are from Australia!) & we have now found the perfect hotel to stay!!! I would now not stay anywhere else if I was reassured of one thing prior to my arrival........

So why have I rated it a 4 out of 5?? I requested in my booking a room on a higher floor as I read in some reviews the noise experienced in the lower levels from the subway that obviously runs straight underneath the hotel. We were given a room on the 5th floor & we were at first overwhelmed with the regular noise of the subway. We were out all day & not getting in until late at night so the noise/rumbling only affected us during the night. We got use to it after a while so we didn't let it ruin our very enjoyable stay here!!

We would absolutely stay here again as we loved it, (& I would definitely recommend it to all my family & friends), but only if we were guaranteed a room on a much higher level than 5!!!!!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Lillabet75
TennileB, Director of Guest of Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Good Day Lillabet75,

We honored that you have made us your premier choice hotel when traveling to NY and would be elated to welcome you back time and time again. I am sorry to hear that you were affected by the noise from the subway and we were not able to accommodate your request for a higher floor. Please be advised that the rooms in certain room categories are only located on floors 2-5, for instance our Standard Double Queen so we you very well may have been placed on the highest in the category booked.
While room assignments can never be guaranteed, I encourage you to contact me when you are planning to return and I will do my very best to place you in a room on a high floor.

Thank you and I hope to see you in the future.

Phone: 646-710-5713| Fax: 212-974-0291 tennile.boyd@hilton.com