“Reasonable value for your money”

Ranked #152 of 467 Hotels in New York City
County Antrim, United Kingdom
“Reasonable value for your money”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We arrived at the hotel around 3:30pm and our check-in was smooth and quick. Our room was clean and warm which was great considering what the weather was like when we went in January. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough to assist us with our queries. The only thing that I was slightly disappointed about was that we had requested a high floor when booking but were given a room on the 6th floor when we arrived. This hotel is pretty central to everything and, although it was pretty cold when we were there, it is well within walking distance to all the tourist attractions and the Theatre District. I particularly liked the complimentary Starbucks coffee available in the reception area. If I ever return to New York I will definitely book this hotel and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends or family or indeed anyone reading my review.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear rugby276,
Thank you for sharing your experience with travel community. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and comfort of our rooms as well as complimentary coffee served in the morning. It’s great that our staff was there when you needed them. I’m sorry that on this trip we were not able to provide a room on high floor. If you will be planning on staying with us again please let me know and I will make sure to reserve nice room on high floor.
We look forward to welcome you back in the future!
646-710-5713

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Just spent a few days at this hotel.

The room was comfortable and clean. I also like the fact that there is wi-fi in the room.
So many hotel say they have wi-fi but you can only get it in the reception area.

This hotel doesn't have the traditional hotel facilities of on site restaurant where you can go for breakfast or dinner. They do offer room service where you can order food from a selection of local restaurants which is nice if you want to eat in your room(Why would you your in NewYork)

There is a restaurant next door Pigalle which is ok but I personally would give it a miss.

For location this is a great place if your going to use the hop on hop of buses as the pick up point for the uptown and downtown tours are on eighth avenue just a few yards from the hotel.

When I go back to NYC with certainly try booking in here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary T
Dear Gary T,
Thank you for choosing out hotel on your recent trip to NYC. I am happy to know that you enjoyed comfort and cleanliness of the hotel and took advantage of free wifi and other hotel amenities. It’s great that location gave you opportunity to enjoy sightseeing busses.
We will be looking forward o welcome you back in the future!
New Orleans, Louisiana

Room 832
February 8-12, 2014

I arrived at the hotel around 2pm from LaGuardia airport for a four-night stay. Early check-in was requested, but my room was not ready. A room upgrade was included as a benefit of being a HHonors gold member, and the front desk said they would call me when my room was ready in case I wanted to go out. My friend and I decided to have a late lunch and wait for the call. As it was approaching 4pm I still had not received a phone call from the hotel, and I thought this was odd since regular check-in was at 3pm. I walked back to the hotel’s front desk and inquired about the room again. I was told it was ready and given my keys, but there was no explanation for making me wait. I finally settled in the room around 4:23pm. If 3pm approaches and you still don't have a room or call, check in with the front desk again.

After unpacking I noticed the secondary security latch (flip latch) was missing its working mechanism arm. I don’t know how this important security feature could be overlooked in a NYC hotel, but nevertheless I called the front desk to inquire about having it fixed. Maintenance personnel came up to look at the latch, left to acquire a replacement, and had a new latch installed on the door frame in a matter of minutes. Great response.

The cleaning crew members were completely unobtrusive and very nice. Even with the DND on my door, they checked in to see if I needed anything. Please don't forget to tip them for great service, and at this hotel they deliver.

The corner room was quiet (not once did the city noise wake me, and I'm a light sleeper) and nicely appointed with a desk, comfortable chair, refrigerator, microwave, large sofa, and a safe. The bed was extremely comfortable and ensured great sleep every night. The bathroom is sufficient, albeit on the small side, and the Neutrogena products were nice. The flat television is large and is easy to view from anywhere in the room. The view faced a back street but was not noisy at all (8th floor).

Maps are available near the front door, and the entire concierge team was fantastic. They can call a car service for you or hail cabs they know to be reputable and ignore those parked in front of the hotel, so this was added peace of mind. Being able to store luggage is also very convenient. The pantry store downstairs is open 24 hours with a host of options for such a small space, has an ATM machine, and every clerk I encountered during my stay was friendly and helpful.

The printing service is great. I was able to securely email my documents to a specified hotel email address and retrieve them in the business center in the lobby for printing. Although the printed sign lists the printer as a reference, you need to use the keypad in between the middle computers to enter your retrieval codes. It was worth mentioning since I had to get front desk help to figure it out. Norman agreed the instructions were confusing and was a great help to get everything printed for me.

Saturday night my friend and I went out for dinner with a group, and the concierge team arranged transport for her to return to Grand Central Station to take a train home. The car service they use sends whatever car is available, and it happened to be a stretch white limo. My friend certainly had a stylish ride to catch her train!

Sunday I went to breakfast at the restaurant next door. The breakfast vouchers provided by Hilton are to be used there (Pigalle), and the selection was very good on the buffet. It included a frittata/omelet with peppers, scrambled eggs, scrambled egg whites, bacon, sausage, ham, boiled eggs, pancakes, waffles, and a host of other options. I chose the egg whites for protein expecting a lot of walking to be done during this trip, and the food was tasty and filling. There are other items on the menu you can choose, but the buffet was more than enough for me. To note: Even though breakfast is free, leaving a tip goes a long way with the restaurant staff.

Noel called to check on me by calling the room on Sunday to see if everything was satisfactory. This was a nice touch. I will definitely stay here again.

Some points are worth noting. If you are going to hail a cab, let the doormen do it for you. There were cabs waiting at the hotel almost all the time, but the doormen know which ones are reputable. They ignored the parked and waiting ones and hailed the ones they trusted.

There are stores and restaurants everywhere, a few being right across the street. If you just want a snack or drink at less than crazy prices, buy supplies at the store and use the room fridge and microwave to minimize expenses.

If you don't mind walking you can save a lot of money by not taking cabs. The numbered blocks are short, and the spelled numbered streets are longer (45th is a short block, whereas Eighth Avenue to Seventh is a much longer walk).
Have your airport transport worked out in advance or work with the hotel after arrival to secure your return. Always leave at least a 2-hour window. In rush hour traffic a friend of mine waited that long to get to his hotel on a weekday after flying in from Newark (late afternoon arrival). At cab rates this would cost a fortune, so look for a flat rate car service (Carmel, Uber, or ask the hotel for recommendations). I flew into LaGuardia after 1pm and had a total trip time of around 45 minutes to my hotel.

Plan your destinations and look up how to get there so you're not holding a map on every corner. Don't store your hotel room card with the room number, and keep this card, cash, and anything you don't want to lose in interior pockets. For the key to the room safe, stash it in your sock. It's small enough not to be noticed or become uncomfortable, and no one knows it is there but you.

Keep your head held high, walk with purpose, and enjoy the city. Following these tips I have never had a problem in New York City, and I travel there every year.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are more expensive but offer a great view. Rooms on the 8th floor and above are extrem...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MSY2Anywhere
Joanna B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear MSY2Anywhere,
We truly appreciate the time you took to provide such a detailed feedback about your stay. I am sure that many travelers will find your tips very helpful. It is great to know that our team was there when you needed them and that the hotel as well as the rooms was to your satisfaction.
I hope that on your next trip to NYC you will stay with us again!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here in March and had a great experience. The proximity to Times Square was very close and the room itself was very suitable. Overall, this was a great value for money. The one exception, which is the case pretty much anywhere in NYC is parking. It was expensive and slightly off-site. Not much you can do about that in a city that fights for every square inch of space though!
Highly recommend this for travellers on a moderately low budget that want to stay in the heart of midtown.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear bissonchris,
Thank you for sharing your experience on stay with us on March. I am happy that location of the hotel was suitable to your needs. I understand your concern in regards to parking costs but unfortunately in the central location like midtown can be very expensive.
I hope that on your future trips to NYC you will choose our hotel again!

Manchester
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here for my wifes 30th birthday and can seriously recommend staying here.
Location is fantastic with Times Square 1 block away. Rooms are spacious for NYC and kept very clean by the maids.
High floor and ear plugs recommended to avoid street noise but if this bothers you don’t come to NYC full stop (and don’t be so boring) : >
A special thank you to Tennile Boyd & Joanna for arranging flowers and cakes for the occasion, service throughout the stay was fantastic.
Thanks to Donald the porter for organising taxis etc too, very pleasant.
Only quibble is the reception could be bigger/more inviting but who spends time here anyway.
Look forward to coming back here again soon.
Thanks for having us.
Rob & Nic

Room Tip: High floor facing 8th, away from lifts
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Robert D,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review with travel community. I am thrilled to learn that our team made your stay a memorable one and that your wife enjoyed gifts for her Birthday.
On behalf of the entire HGI Team we would like to wish your wife a very Happy Birthday and we hope that if visiting NYC one day, you will stay with us again!
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Strategic location. Walking distance to most Manhattan highlights and restaurant, short cab ride to the rest, this is my definition of a gem. The check in took somewhere between 25 and 30 seconds. The room was comfortable and well appointed. The bathroom small but it covered all of our needs. The Pigalle restaurant is adjacent to the hotel and you can walk to it directly through the hotel (the bar tenders are world class). Yes, there are more elegant and swankier hotels in Manhattan, but this place gave us absolutely everything we were looking for - at the right price!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gianna51,
I am thrilled to learn that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. It’s great that our hotel and its location was just what you were looking for and I hope that on yoru next trip to NYC you will stay with us again.
hertford
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is the perfect hotel for tourist near everything just a couple blocks from time square Central Park ...we walked everywhere it was so easy best location ...the staff of the hotel were very helpful.
What was nice you could help yourself to free tea or coffee in the morning to start your day the rooms were very comfortable the bed lovely very very clean.
I would really recommend this hotel not one fault.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear blondie047Hertford,
Thank you for sharing your experience with travel community. It is great to know that location of the hotel was convenient and that the staff was there when you needed them. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of complimentary coffee and tea in the morning and that you enjoyed comfort of our rooms.
We hope that in the future you will give us a chance to welcome you back!