“Ironically not so "moderne"”
Review of Moderne Hotel

Moderne Hotel
Ranked #83 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 May 2014

So at first I have to say that that the customer service was excellent. We checked in early, everyone was very pleasant. The lobby was cute and cozy. The first problem we noticed was the elevator. Yes, you read it right. The elevator. Only one elevator for 9 floors. We waited for a good couple of minutes, before we got on, and were taken to the second floor, people came in, and we went back down to the basement, because the workers had to share the elevator with us. When we were finally going up to our floor, I actually thought the elevator wasn't moving. The elevator was obviously old. Trust me, you can count to three before you see the number change. We walked into a stifling hallway, which was very brightly and nicely designed, but it was small and cramped. The card wouldn't properly open the door, you had to try multiple times and wait for quite a while before the light went off and you could enter. The first thing you see is a giant low bed, less than a foot away from the door. It is the majority of the room. The furniture is brightly colored (the one red chair) against grey walls, and at first it looks very pleasant. When I first saw the tv, I was very happy about it's size until I turned it on. It may be large, but it's also very outdated. What they lack with entertainment they make up with free fast internet. The majority of the night was spent on my laptop watching netflix. The quality of the tv was grainy and stretched, the very few channels wouldn't work, and while we read there was movies you can purchase, we were wrong. The paper lamps, had holes in them and you could draw in the dust. The dim, yellow lighting right above your head was so painful, that I chose to sit in the dark. We looked for a window, and when we realized the black out shade was covering we gave a sigh of relief, because without a window the room feels like a box. We opened the shades, and what we thought would be a nice view of the city street, or at least a block, was a filthy fire escape and a black wall. There was cabbage on it, and no light would come into the room. The wall was right in front of your face. You can literally stretch out your body and almost touch it. It was filthy, and very claustrophobic. I was scared to keep the window open in fear of bugs, so I turned on the air conditioner. The noise was an annoying pounding and rhythmic thumping, that while I could tune it out with blasting the television, I couldn't fall asleep, and gave up, turning it off and sleeping with no window or ac. Every fifteen minutes, the toilet would scream. Yes. It was emit a loud whining noise, then when I first heard it, I thought it was someone calling for help. Soon, I wanted to yell for help too. I am happy I got a deal on expedia, because 200$, is still too much to pay for this room, which seems like a joke, and is very very far from "moderne".

Room Tip: Ask for windows that have a view, because you might end up having a wonderful view of a cabbage litt...
2  Thank Asif K

Dear Asif,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations for your stay.

I would like to discuss further you with you and I can be reached at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Moderne Hotel

Reviewed 9 May 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was simply not worth 400 - 500 dollars a night. The air conditioning was the only thing not renovated, it was an old, outdated air conditioning unit that had dirt in the vents. I couldn't sleep it was so loud and took so long to get cool. The bedding smelled like recycled ciggarette smoke from a previous guest, it had a certain musty smell. I moved rooms, the new room smelled the exact same. There was flooding in the majority of the rooms during my stay because it had rained the night before. Given the renovations one could justify the price increase of this hotel, however it's like putting a suit on a pig, it's still a pig.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Chloe,

Regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The first night we were there, it was very, very cold. The heater was not working. Every guest received a space heater late at night to keep warm. Night 3, we came back late from the theatre and the ceiling in the bathroom was pouring water. 2 floors were affected. They offered to send us to another hotel, but finally got us a room that due to damp carpet, they had on hold. Today, friends who'd stayed here and given a free upgrade, found out their upgrade was not only free, but charged the rack rate. Day 4, no heat again. We were told it might be a few days. Back came the space heater. the good news, the young staff is very, very nice.

Room Tip: I just would not stay here again so I have no tips. Be aware, there are no bath tubs in the entire...

Dear Susie,

I am very sorry for the issues that you faced while at Moderne, the issue you had was a one off situation and I am sorry it happened while you are in town to enjoy a special occasion.

I would like to chat with you and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com

Many thanks,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not often I find a place that I can't fault (must be my innate Britishness and moaning about everything!), but this place certainly bucked that trend!

Great location (for those of you that know/care it's directly oppostie McGees from How I Met Your Mother) in easy walking distance to Times Square, Broadway, Central Park and Midtown.

Room was spacious, clean, comfortable, inviting and modern. Absolutely faultless. The guest lounge offering free coffee, water, fruit and cakes in the morning is a nice touch, especially in a city where if someone says "bless you" you have to tip them.

The staff are amazing; Robbie, Penny and one more who's name I unfortunately never caught - well they just bent over backwards to help us on our first trip to New York. Bar recommendations where we wouldn't be fleeced, local restaurants off the tourist paths, and helping us book our Yankees tickets through ticketmaster instead of their own corporate expensive tour operators to save us some cash, all these things done with a smile and patience as well, amazing.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you can find it on half price sale as we did, worth every penny and would stay here again any time!

Quick word of warning not affiliated with the hotel but more with New York in general - watch out for city tax! Decent rate per night ballooned on check out with not 1, or 2, but three seperate city taxes adding an extra $60 per night onto the rate!

But that's New York as we found out, bring a full wallet and an empty credit card...

Room Tip: Ask for a suite facing the road. Not too noisy as far as NY streets go and at least some view as opp...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael v

Dear Michael V,

Wow!! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments regarding our staff, they strive to create a memorable experience and I am thrilled to know they exceeded it!

We do hope to welcome you back in the future and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com so that I can assist with your next stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

True, NY rooms are small but if you are in your room in Ny, for too long, something is wrong. Location ideal, rooms good, definitely modern and staff friendly and helpful. All good and we would stay next time. Across from great Irish pub as well. Wifi free, water hot,sure rooms dark but for sleeping worked a treat.

Dear Donna G,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com so that I can assist with your next booking.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Me and my wife had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Comfortable room, excellent shower, free wi-fi, free water, free coffee, and a very nice location near Central Park and Times Square. I couldn't forget to mention the excellent service too. Congratulations to Rinaldo, Bashir, Angel and the front desk guy that receive us every night with a smile. Hey guys, you are awesome!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alexandre,

Wow....Thank you for all the wonderful comments about our staff as they take great pride in this and makes their day!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and please feel free to contact me at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com to assist with your next booking.

Jon