“Good hotel near Times Square”
Review of Moderne Hotel

Moderne Hotel
Ranked #82 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Antwerp, Belgium
“Good hotel near Times Square”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Decent hotel at a very interesting location, two steps from Times Square and Central Park. Small hotel, rooms big enough however small bathroom. No breakfast, but free drinks and cake all day long. I would definitely come back when back in the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
andreas n, Director of Operations at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Maltezer88,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient midtown location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly at anakos@amsterdamhospitality.com so that I can assist in your next booking.

Cheers,

Andreas Nakos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Moderne Hotel is brilliantly located for Broadway, Shopping and Central Park. The staff can't do enough to help. The 2nd floor refreshments are very useful to start your day. Robbi in reception was extremely helpful and we were offered a free upgrade to the suite. This hotel has plenty of sass! We will most definitely be returning to this hotel.

Thanks to everybody at the hotel for making it so lovely for us.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Roshni,

Thank you for your amazing review on Tripadvisor. We are especially happy to see that you enjoyed our 2nd floor lounge which offers a comfortable seating area and complimentary beverages 24 hours a day.

Next time you are with us be sure to take advantage of our free coffee and cake for breakfast !

Cheers,
Andreas Nakos
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014

So at first I have to say that that the customer service was excellent. We checked in early, everyone was very pleasant. The lobby was cute and cozy. The first problem we noticed was the elevator. Yes, you read it right. The elevator. Only one elevator for 9 floors. We waited for a good couple of minutes, before we got on, and were taken to the second floor, people came in, and we went back down to the basement, because the workers had to share the elevator with us. When we were finally going up to our floor, I actually thought the elevator wasn't moving. The elevator was obviously old. Trust me, you can count to three before you see the number change. We walked into a stifling hallway, which was very brightly and nicely designed, but it was small and cramped. The card wouldn't properly open the door, you had to try multiple times and wait for quite a while before the light went off and you could enter. The first thing you see is a giant low bed, less than a foot away from the door. It is the majority of the room. The furniture is brightly colored (the one red chair) against grey walls, and at first it looks very pleasant. When I first saw the tv, I was very happy about it's size until I turned it on. It may be large, but it's also very outdated. What they lack with entertainment they make up with free fast internet. The majority of the night was spent on my laptop watching netflix. The quality of the tv was grainy and stretched, the very few channels wouldn't work, and while we read there was movies you can purchase, we were wrong. The paper lamps, had holes in them and you could draw in the dust. The dim, yellow lighting right above your head was so painful, that I chose to sit in the dark. We looked for a window, and when we realized the black out shade was covering we gave a sigh of relief, because without a window the room feels like a box. We opened the shades, and what we thought would be a nice view of the city street, or at least a block, was a filthy fire escape and a black wall. There was cabbage on it, and no light would come into the room. The wall was right in front of your face. You can literally stretch out your body and almost touch it. It was filthy, and very claustrophobic. I was scared to keep the window open in fear of bugs, so I turned on the air conditioner. The noise was an annoying pounding and rhythmic thumping, that while I could tune it out with blasting the television, I couldn't fall asleep, and gave up, turning it off and sleeping with no window or ac. Every fifteen minutes, the toilet would scream. Yes. It was emit a loud whining noise, then when I first heard it, I thought it was someone calling for help. Soon, I wanted to yell for help too. I am happy I got a deal on expedia, because 200$, is still too much to pay for this room, which seems like a joke, and is very very far from "moderne".

Room Tip: Ask for windows that have a view, because you might end up having a wonderful view of a cabbage litt...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Asif K
Jon G, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Asif,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations for your stay.

I would like to discuss further you with you and I can be reached at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com

Regards,
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was simply not worth 400 - 500 dollars a night. The air conditioning was the only thing not renovated, it was an old, outdated air conditioning unit that had dirt in the vents. I couldn't sleep it was so loud and took so long to get cool. The bedding smelled like recycled ciggarette smoke from a previous guest, it had a certain musty smell. I moved rooms, the new room smelled the exact same. There was flooding in the majority of the rooms during my stay because it had rained the night before. Given the renovations one could justify the price increase of this hotel, however it's like putting a suit on a pig, it's still a pig.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jon G, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Chloe,

Regards,
Oakland, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The first night we were there, it was very, very cold. The heater was not working. Every guest received a space heater late at night to keep warm. Night 3, we came back late from the theatre and the ceiling in the bathroom was pouring water. 2 floors were affected. They offered to send us to another hotel, but finally got us a room that due to damp carpet, they had on hold. Today, friends who'd stayed here and given a free upgrade, found out their upgrade was not only free, but charged the rack rate. Day 4, no heat again. We were told it might be a few days. Back came the space heater. the good news, the young staff is very, very nice.

Room Tip: I just would not stay here again so I have no tips. Be aware, there are no bath tubs in the entire...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon G, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Susie,

I am very sorry for the issues that you faced while at Moderne, the issue you had was a one off situation and I am sorry it happened while you are in town to enjoy a special occasion.

I would like to chat with you and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com

Many thanks,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not often I find a place that I can't fault (must be my innate Britishness and moaning about everything!), but this place certainly bucked that trend!

Great location (for those of you that know/care it's directly oppostie McGees from How I Met Your Mother) in easy walking distance to Times Square, Broadway, Central Park and Midtown.

Room was spacious, clean, comfortable, inviting and modern. Absolutely faultless. The guest lounge offering free coffee, water, fruit and cakes in the morning is a nice touch, especially in a city where if someone says "bless you" you have to tip them.

The staff are amazing; Robbie, Penny and one more who's name I unfortunately never caught - well they just bent over backwards to help us on our first trip to New York. Bar recommendations where we wouldn't be fleeced, local restaurants off the tourist paths, and helping us book our Yankees tickets through ticketmaster instead of their own corporate expensive tour operators to save us some cash, all these things done with a smile and patience as well, amazing.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you can find it on half price sale as we did, worth every penny and would stay here again any time!

Quick word of warning not affiliated with the hotel but more with New York in general - watch out for city tax! Decent rate per night ballooned on check out with not 1, or 2, but three seperate city taxes adding an extra $60 per night onto the rate!

But that's New York as we found out, bring a full wallet and an empty credit card...

Room Tip: Ask for a suite facing the road. Not too noisy as far as NY streets go and at least some view as opp...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael v
Jon G, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Michael V,

Wow!! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments regarding our staff, they strive to create a memorable experience and I am thrilled to know they exceeded it!

We do hope to welcome you back in the future and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@amsterdamhospitality.com so that I can assist with your next stay.

Best,